Bafang Motor's Waterproof Rating?

There are some online claims that they are rated IP65. If that was true, I wouldn't find rust and dust in my M620.

I personally rate the M620 at IP51. It could be IP65 with some seals on the crank spindle.

From what I read they are ip65 which does not include immersion.
Sure he was able to ride thru... Question is will it still be working a week/month later.
It's what d_bags do to be youtube cool.

OnLogic-graphic-tables-IP65-EN.jpg

Well a BBSHD is certainly able to handle the worst rainstorms, and heavy continuous splashing from riding thru, say, 2 inches of water. I've actually gone up to about the motor casing in depth riding thru mud on a road that was under construction. To be IP65 you have to be just as protected across *every* segment of the motor. Including the cable egress point/gasket. I cover that gasket with some silicone, which is not factory.

So... I'd call it IP64.

There are some online claims that they are rated IP65. If that was true, I wouldn't find rust and dust in my M620.

I personally rate the M620 at IP51. It could be IP65 with some seals on the crank spindle.
I drowned my M620 via total immersion like a dumba#@. It eventually ended up ruining the motor although I tried to dry it out afterwords. It gradually lost power over the next few weks and then it died. Before that time it had been ridden in wet conditions here in OR and washed after riding with no issues.

On the drive side there is a plastic cover, that has to be removed to gain access to the mounting bolts, and there is no seal around it and when it is off there is a large hole in the casing that will easily let water and other contamination in there so that area really can't be made waterproof? So I am not sure what IP rating it deserves if any. But if ridden responsibly around moisture, as any motor should, you should be fine.

BBSHD has spindle seals, M620 does not, so the waterproof rating is variable between models.

On the drive side there is a plastic cover, that has to be removed to gain access to the mounting bolts, and there is no seal around it and when it is off there is a large hole in the casing that will easily let water and other contamination in there so that area really can't be made waterproof? So I am not sure what IP rating it deserves if any. But if ridden responsibly around moisture, as any motor should, you should be fine.
I don't have this large hole. Is it where the wires exit? Mine has a block of rubber that the wires pass through.

For whatever the manufacturer specs are worth.

Screenshot_20230727-160328_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230727-160415_Chrome.jpg

Just as if not more important... I definitely would not immerse or subject the battery to more water spray than riding in rain.

Last edited:
I saw that video before getting my 620 ultra, and instantly thought that it was a soon to be a failure moment.

A quote from the comments "I opened it up to dry it out afterwards. Only a little water got inside. Still works perfectly =)"

For whatever the manufacturer specs are worth.

View attachment 159178View attachment 159179

Just as if not more important... I definitely would not immerse or subject the battery to more water spray than riding in rain.
How typical of Bafang. IPX5 is implied to be the same as IP65 (the second digit is a 5) except when you use an 'X' in the first position it signifies 'untested'.

IME buyers need to rework their motors with some RTV in the seams and around any wiring coming out of the motor casing. Any IP claim is likely exaggerated.
a block of rubber that the wires pass through.
That's a spot that WILL allow water ingress. I ALWAYS stuff RTV into that spot. Get a high quality RTV like from Loctite, JB Weld, or Permatex. They are super flexible when cured. I'm riding two BBS01 from 2014 in Minnesota. It's been wet and ridden in the rain more times than I can count over those 8-9 years.

Back