Bafang mid drive pedals spin with no chainring???

Jitss617

Just driving home my bike became extremely slow, and all of a sudden stopped working I kept peddling but the chain ring would not move. My throttle didn’t even work? Any idea? Even if my middrive broke or my battery died I should still be able to pedal? Please any help. Thanks

THe pedals will spin freely if all is well, but they are connected to the motor by a clutch . If the clutch fails, then they turn with the motor, and if that gets tsuck, then it probably is hard to pedal.

Clutch replacement is pretty straight forward a fairly common and relatively inexpensive repair. Just pay attention to the pawl orientation. Easier with the BBSHD. See YouTube for several good how to videos.

THe pedals will spin freely if all is well, but they are connected to the motor by a clutch . If the clutch fails, then they turn with the motor, and if that gets tsuck, then it probably is hard to pedal.
I decided to check the battery it was completely empty I guess it wasn’t plugged in all the way, so going to try it today, but I thought you could still pedal with out a battery.

but I thought you could still pedal with out a battery.
You can pedal without assist if all is well in the drive. All bikes are able to free wheel and drive (except for fixies). There is a "clutch", some call it a "ratchet", springs and pawls. Just like the pull start on a lawn mower. When a lawn mower is working correctly, you pull the cord and it spins the crank. When the pull cord doesn't spin the crank, the pawls aren't engaging. A ratchet wrench works the same way.

When you spin the cranks is the chain moving? If the chain is moving then the problem is in the hub/freewheel.

Back