Average age of EBR riders

Average age of EBR riders

• Total voters
I’m 65+ and had a triple bypass and valve repair about 7 years ago. I spent almost two weeks in the hospital and was lucky I made it. I started back on a bike (after decades of not riding) about 5 years ago and it’s helped me tremendously. I have a number of longer term distance goals I’m working toward and I really feel like an ebike is important to me achieving these goals.
This site and the people in it are a daily inspiration to me!😎👍

Another inspirational story... long may you ride! 😉

@BrianK Glad to hear you can get out and bike again... what ebike do you have?
I found a leftover hunting e bike, a 2018 RAMBO R750 G3 at a local archery shop, for $1200. They just wanted it gone because they’re no longer selling hunting e bikes. I searched a long time. It was the cheapest ‘new’ mid drive I could find.

It has a Bafang BBS02 and Sturmy Archer 3 speed internal rear hub. I replaced the 34t front chain ring with a 46t, filled up the 26x4 Kenda Juggernauts to 30 (Max) psi, added a suspension seat post and adjustable stem riser, and I’m using it as a road and rails to trails bike. It’s working out better than I had hoped so far.

Attachments

• 64B17EC1-3AB3-4202-86E3-2E2B1363D2C8.jpeg
    64B17EC1-3AB3-4202-86E3-2E2B1363D2C8.jpeg
    700.8 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
I turn 53 soon. A bad knee, torn ACL and Meniscus drove me to a ebike. 10 mile slow painful rides on my analog bike were no longer fun. The ebike has allowed me to ride the mileage and speeds I rode prior to the injuries. I love to bike it is the most enjoyable exercise, physically and mentally.
You are just a youngster among all the boomers on here. Hopefully we aren't boring you to death ...

One has to recognize that forum members are skewed older than the general interest group of the subject at hand (whether in this forum or another one with a different focus than ebikes). Forums are outgrowths of the old "bulletin board" genre from the early days of dial-up computing and the Internet. Forums lend themselves to computers more than they do to smart phones. I don't use Twitter, but I bet if there are Twitter hash tags for ebike enthusiasts, the average age of folks following the ebike tweets would be a much younger crowd than the members of this forum.

That said, I will admit that most of the ebike riders I run across in my area (still a rare occurrence) are old farts like me.

Last edited:
Well I'm 66 years young and after many many years of riding motorcycles, I discovered acoustic bikes back to my roots again. Well after a year of riding, I saw the light and bought an Elby and enjoy every minute of riding again. And 15 lbs.of weight loss can't be bad.

I found a leftover hunting e bike, a 2018 RAMBO R750 G3 at a local archery shop, for $1200. They just wanted it gone because they’re no longer selling hunting e bikes. I searched a long time. It was the cheapest ‘new’ mid drive I could find.

It has a Bafang BBS02 and Sturmy Archer 3 speed internal rear hub. I replaced the 34t front chain ring with a 46t, filled up the 26x4 Kenda Juggernauts to 30 (Max) psi, added a suspension seat post and adjustable stem riser, and I’m using it as a road and rails to trails bike. It’s working out better than I had hoped so far.
Nice pick up!!

One has to recognize that forum members are skewed older than the general interest group of the subject at hand (whether in this forum or another one with a different focus than ebikes). Forums are outgrowths of the old "bulletin board" genre from the early days of dial-up computing and the Internet. Forums lend themselves to computers more than they do to smart phones. I don't use Twitter, but I bet if there are Twitter hash tags for ebike enthusiasts, the average age of folks following the ebike tweets would be a much younger crowd than the members of this forum.

That said, I will admit that most of the ebike riders I run across in my area (still a rare occurrence) are old farts like me.
Not just old farts. SLO SOBs.

Wow. With 65 votes in, we have 26 forum members under age 60, and 39 over age 60, including 18 over age 70!

I like these odds - I’m one of the young ones for a change.

31BFA54E-6938-4B52-8B11-454AFF911C18.jpeg

I'm still waiting on the over 80 yo bikers to chime in on the poll. Problem is they are all out riding ...wait there's 1 now ...

I'll chime in and raise the average. I'm 83 and run a local cycling group. There are 60 to 80 riders turn up every Wednesday to ride (its winter here now) and there is one woman at 84, two of us at 83, one 82, and one at 81. A lot in the 70s (we are not a rest home group) I don't know of anyone taking time off work so we must all be retired. Myself and a few others often go over and ride at the Rotorua Mountain Bike Park where they have World Class tracks. They have held the Crankworx world champs there for the last 2 or 3 years.

I'll chime in and raise the average. I'm 83 and run a local cycling group. There are 60 to 80 riders turn up every Wednesday to ride (its winter here now) and there is one woman at 84, two of us at 83, one 82, and one at 81. A lot in the 70s (we are not a rest home group) I don't know of anyone taking time off work so we must all be retired. Myself and a few others often go over and ride at the Rotorua Mountain Bike Park where they have World Class tracks. They have held the Crankworx world champs there for the last 2 or 3 years.
Good to see your post, Camac. I knew there were a few elders on here from the old polls. I still only see one vote in the over 80 class in the highly scientific ( not ) poll so far, though.

Haven’t been to NZ since the mid-80s. I’d love to ebike with you all!

Where you ride, what you experience while riding and the problems you have with your bike have absolutely nothing to do with age. Everyone, no matter how old, has something valuable to contribute.

IMO, the reason we see many older folk here is because, 1 they can afford an e-bike, 2 they have the time to ride it and 3 they have the time to spend posting here on EBR.

I'm mid 50's older GenXer, still working full time, and don't even have an e-bike yet, but that's only because of the current availability. I've been riding pretty consistently on my standard hybrid bike for 15 years worth of midwest summers, mostly rural roads, no trails. Peaked at 66 miles Saturday night for my longest ride this summer.

From a medical standpoint, I would get knee pain when running 20 years ago, and I stopped running in 2000, started biking in 2005, and knee pain started to affect me when biking a few years later, more so in my right knee, which usually only hurts when climbing a hill, and I can hear it crackling even when there isn't pain. I already dreaded the hills for being so exhausting, but with the addition of knee pain, an e-bike seems like the perfect solution.

From a cost standpoint, I'll spend less than half on an e-bike than I did on a motorcycle 30 years ago, plus the health benefits of an e-bike could save someone far more in health care costs down the road. When it comes to exercise, nothing has been as effective and motivating for me as biking.

I'm mid 50's older GenXer, still working full time, and don't even have an e-bike yet, but that's only because of the current availability. I've been riding pretty consistently on my standard hybrid bike for 15 years worth of midwest summers, mostly rural roads, no trails. Peaked at 66 miles Saturday night for my longest ride this summer.

From a medical standpoint, I would get knee pain when running 20 years ago, and I stopped running in 2000, started biking in 2005, and knee pain started to affect me when biking a few years later, more so in my right knee, which usually only hurts when climbing a hill, and I can hear it crackling even when there isn't pain. I already dreaded the hills for being so exhausting, but with the addition of knee pain, an e-bike seems like the perfect solution.

From a cost standpoint, I'll spend less than half on an e-bike than I did on a motorcycle 30 years ago, plus the health benefits of an e-bike could save someone far more in health care costs down the road. When it comes to exercise, nothing has been as effective and motivating for me as biking.
I am a fellow GenXer with the same types of knee issues. You are going to love your ebike when you get one. An ebike is like a safety net for me. I can go out and ride as hard as I want for a workout, and when the knee starts acting up I can up the assist level and take a break. Sometimes I can go back into “workout” mode other times It just helps me get home with no worries about any hill or mileage in front of me.

Back