Aventon or NCM?

kevintari

OK...factoring in my budget and not wanting to wait until the fall for a bike, I'm narrowing it down to either the Moscow Plus or the Level. They're fairly comparable, both have good reviews here, just wondering if there's any real-world experience out there or anything I should be aware of on either one of them. Thanks!

I've considered these in the past before focussing on Ride1up and Espin - yes, the delays in shipping suck, especially for those of us with a shorter summer riding season. Some complaints about the Level accelerating to 12 mph in the lowest assist level. There seem to be more broken spoke issues with the Moscow Plus and no guard for the chainring. The Moscow assist appears to be based on speed instead of power based on the descriptions of how the assist works from owners, but I'm not certain of this. I recall reading a recent Moscow coment about going down a hill with the Moscow and the power not kicking in for a few seconds when starting to head back up hill, which didn't sound good for a mountain bike. But the owners generally seem happy. These seem like very different bikes that you are comparing.

I've considered these in the past before focussing on Ride1up and Espin - yes, the delays in shipping suck, especially for those of us with a shorter summer riding season. Some complaints about the Level accelerating to 12 mph in the lowest assist level. There seem to be more broken spoke issues with the Moscow Plus and no guard for the chainring. The Moscow assist appears to be based on speed instead of power based on the descriptions of how the assist works from owners, but I'm not certain of this. I recall reading a recent Moscow coment about going down a hill with the Moscow and the power not kicking in for a few seconds when starting to head back up hill, which didn't sound good for a mountain bike. But the owners generally seem happy. These seem like very different bikes that you are comparing.

So what did you end up getting?

Short answer: nothing yet, plan is to get 2 e-bikes before summer 2021, hopefully one this fall, Ride1up 700 and LMT'D at the top of my list for a primary bike, Espin Nero early bird deal also a possibility meant as a long term secondary bike, Ride1up Core-5 another secondary bike possibility, and I haven't totally discounted a Moscow / Moscow Plus as a secondary. I would kind of like to add a mountain bike to the mix, but a lower stand-over bike for short invited riding guests might be a better choice for a secondary bike. For more variety, I suppose a third bike isn't out of the question. :)

Longer answer: https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ow-speed-ramp-up-smoothness.36055/post-309095

Last edited:
Update, I can get a used Rad Rover 5 today with the cargo rack, that needs brake pads, for $1,100 - otherwise it's in great shape. Thoughts?

Update, I can get a used Rad Rover 5 today with the cargo rack, that needs brake pads, for $1,100 - otherwise it's in great shape. Thoughts?
Well, that's yet a very different bike than the first two. A Radrover new is about $1500 plus tax, then the rack on top of that, plus you would need to assemble it or pay to have that done. So, if you think you would like a fat tire bike, and it's in very good condition with good tires, it sounds reasonable to me, even better if you can replace the pads yourself.

Last edited:
Got it at the end of the day today and got a quick 5 mile ride in- wow what a great bike for the money! I rented a $4,000 Scott Strike last week, this is a $1,600 bike and it's 80-90% of what the Scott is. Well-built, crazy quick motor, great looks, and all the bells and whistles. If you're considering one, DO IT!

Reactions: l3n
Back