Aventon Aventure Dead Battery Disassembly and Diagnosis

webopus

Region
USA
City
Goodyear, Arizona
My Aventure battery died a couple of months after receiving my bike. It took 36 days to get a new battery, but in the meantime I disassembled and diagnosed the reason for the battery's failure. It was a faulty BMS chip. This video describes the issue. Please post any feedback on my Youtube channel. Thanks

Several points to clear up. Your battery uses lithium cells that are nominally 3.6V, whereas you said they were 1.6V volt. You're reading your voltmeter wrong, or it's uncalibrated. When you measure opposite terminals, like B5 to B4 or B7 to B8, the value will be between 4.2 and 3.0 volts on a healthy battery, and all 13 values will be close to the other. Anything above 4.2V or lower than 2.4 is a very dangerous situation, which is these BMS exist.

It is certainly a well made, well engineered battery, And if the cells are at 4 volts, rather than 8 volts, it's quite capable of doing a lot of damage if you accidentally set it down where it can short circuit. Be careful with it.

It is difficult to take that battery further apart, It is dangerous to use them in other applications without attaching a suitable smaller BMS.

Several points to clear up. Your battery uses lithium cells that are nominally 3.6V, whereas you said they were 1.6V volt. You're reading your voltmeter wrong, or it's uncalibrated. When you measure opposite terminals, like B5 to B4 or B7 to B8, the value will be between 4.2 and 3.0 volts on a healthy battery, and all 13 values will be close to the other. Anything above 4.2V or lower than 2.4 is a very dangerous situation, which is these BMS exist.

It is certainly a well made, well engineered battery, And if the cells are at 4 volts, rather than 8 volts, it's quite capable of doing a lot of damage if you accidentally set it down where it can short circuit. Be careful with it.

It is difficult to take that battery further apart, It is dangerous to use them in other applications without attaching a suitable smaller BMS.

Harry,

Thanks for the input and clarification. I'll simply recycle these cells and be done with it. Thanks

My Aventure battery died a couple of months after receiving my bike. It took 36 days to get a new battery, but in the meantime I disassembled and diagnosed the reason for the battery's failure. It was a faulty BMS chip. This video describes the issue. Please post any feedback on my Youtube channel. Thanks

So, how did you get a new battery already?

So, how did you get a new battery already?
Howdy Tacoma Jim, It took over a month to receive a new battery. I believe it was my Youtube video and my complaint to the California branch of the Better Business Bureau that did the trick. They seem to take BBB complaints very seriously. Because batteries were supposedly Out of Stock, they actually sent me a new bike. It's still new-in-the-box. I haven't opened it, and will probably sell it since I received a new battery the same day. They're a little disorganized over there in Ontario, CA.

Howdy Tacoma Jim, It took over a month to receive a new battery. I believe it was my Youtube video and my complaint to the California branch of the Better Business Bureau that did the trick. They seem to take BBB complaints very seriously. Because batteries were supposedly Out of Stock, they actually sent me a new bike. It's still new-in-the-box. I haven't opened it, and will probably sell it since I received a new battery the same day. They're a little disorganized over there in Ontario, CA.
Glad to hear you got things taken care of eventually. Not sure if you saw my post on another thread earlier, but on my new Aventure bike (purchased 2 days ago). I was having battery/power on issues. I finally figured out that pressing twice on my power button powers up my bike every time. Hitting my power on button on the battery once does nothing. I didn't read that in the manual, so not sure how many others operate this way.

Glad to hear you got things taken care of eventually. Not sure if you saw my post on another thread earlier, but on my new Aventure bike (purchased 2 days ago). I was having battery/power on issues. I finally figured out that pressing twice on my power button powers up my bike every time. Hitting my power on button on the battery once does nothing. I didn't read that in the manual, so not sure how many others operate this wa
There's no mention of that in the manual. Each battery is a little different. The button you press acts a as a kind of rocker to engage a sealed button directly beneath it. If the visible button in not perfectly aligned, it may take a couple of attempts. If it takes more than that, or if you have to hold the button down, then it's time to worry. That's what was occurring with my faulty battery. To ease your concerns, remove the battery, then slide the outer shell from it by removing one small screw. Then test the actual On Button. See attached images. Let me know what happens.

aventure cover screw.jpg

Aventure battery power button.jpg

Anybody know where or how to get an additional battery cover and screw? Aventure
Other than Aventon, no. I needed 2 screws for the upper locking assembly and instead of just sending me the screws, they sent an entire locking assembly. That took 2 weeks to arrive.

Could someone tell me why the light on my Adventure battery button is blue instead of green as the instructions say it should be?

That may be a misprint in the manual. It's blue when fully charged. It turns green when below 80%, if I remember correctly. Then I believe it's yellow followed by red when it's in the critical zone. I usually charge mine when it's below 70%.

That may be a misprint in the manual. It's blue when fully charged. It turns green when below 80%, if I remember correctly. Then I believe it's yellow followed by red when it's in the critical zone. I usually charge mine when it's below 70%.
Thank you for that information, much appreciated.

Other than Aventon, no. I needed 2 screws for the upper locking assembly and instead of just sending me the screws, they sent an entire locking assembly. That took 2 weeks to arrive.
Would love to know the single cover screw size...I have lost mine!

Would love to know the single cover screw size...I have lost mine!
David, I replied to you on Youtube as well. I don't know the size and have no way of accurately measuring one. However, the cover is very tight once it's slid onto the battery housing and will be held in place by the frame of the bike once inserted into the battery compartment. I wouldn't worry about it. I sincerely believe it will not slide off.

David, I replied to you on Youtube as well. I don't know the size and have no way of accurately measuring one. However, the cover is very tight once it's slid onto the battery housing and will be held in place by the frame of the bike once inserted into the battery compartment. I wouldn't worry about it. I sincerely believe it will not slide off.
Very cool and thanks for the candid and quick response..I just heard back from Aventon that the lone screw is a #4 x 40 screw

Back