Ariel Rider M Class Review

I have noticed a distinct lack of reviews for the Ariel Rider M Class and I thought it would be a good idea to post one for this bike. I have been using it for about 2 weeks and I finally feel comfortable enough that I can write a reasonable review for people interested in this bike. First off, yes the bike has been upgraded from the EBR review, the 2019 edition now has a 7 gear IGH and they have also gotten rid of the Cafe Lock that was built into it. Those are the only updates I know of from 2018.

Shipping: Good. The shipping label was made the day I ordered the bike and the bike was shipped out the next day. It arrived after a week and was well packaged in a double box, all parts were there and no damage was done to the bike. UPS did a good job on the shipping with the only snafu was they delayed the bike for 2 days due to high volume.

Assembly: Average to maybe slightly below average. The bike was easy to assemble and they even had a youtube video for the assembly. It took a little bit for me to realize how to adjust the Promax stem since they didn't show how to in the video. Unfortunately, I had an issue with the front mudguard on the bike, the front part of the mudguard was pressed up against the top of the wheel when installed. I troubleshot the issue for an hour before realizing that the pictures and video on the website showed a bend in the wires that connect to the steering but my wires were straight. I then compared the front mudguard wires to the back mudguard wires and found them identical in length so I figured they accidentally attached them to the front guard. I contacted Ariel Rider by Facebook Messenger and they replied the next day telling me that the 2019 edition of the bike came with straight wires and that I needed to bend them myself. (I don't believe that though, doesn't make any sense) I did what they suggested and though it helped a little it didn't fix the issue completely, I ended up installing 4 spacers between the frame and guard connector to get the proper angle.

Build Quality: Average. 1 medium issue and 1 minor gripe. The whole bike was rock solid except for the medium issue. The medium issue was that the connected rear light won't turn on. Being busy I wasn't able to check the power delivery until yesterday and it turns out that the light isn't receiving any power, I visibly inspected the wire until it entered the motor and spotted no damage to it. Currently, I am waiting for a response for Ariel Rider on Facebook Messenger on Monday. (I just sent it out yesterday) A minor gripe is the placement of the right brake lever with the grip shifter. The left brake lever is set in a natural position but the right one is an inch or 2 lower due to the shifter connector being in the way. I would have preferred if they had the brake lever on top and spun the nexus grip shifter under the brake lever, especially since the way sight lines for the nexus gear display is pointed down so it's hard to see in a riding position.

Ride: The bike is a blast, I love the 500w Dapu motor and the bike handles my 300 pounds of weight easily. The throttle maxes out for me at 22mph and on level 6 I have been able to peddle the bike up to 26mph on straights before I start not being able to keep up the cadence and hills have been no issue as long as I am in the proper gear. The handle under the seat has been surprisingly useful for maneuvering the bike around. The bike is very maneuverable but after when you start getting into the 25+ mph the small wheelbase starts become an issue but that's to be expected for a small bike. The suspension seat post works and is really needed for a bike like this because it can be very jarring hitting even a small bump at 20mph.

Accessories: I bought the rear rack from them but I didn't feel the need for the basket. The rear rack is really small, compact and fits the bike well but that does lead into a little bit of a problem in that it gets to close to the seat. My fat backside sometimes is hitting what I have stored on the rack and I feel they would have been better to push the rack back an inch or two but that is a minor issue.

Overall: I love this bike and I feel like its value more than holds its own.

Happy to hear you're enjoying your bike! Thanks so much for your detailed review :)

I have noticed a distinct lack of reviews for the Ariel Rider M Class and I thought it would be a good idea to post one for this bike. I have been using it for about 2 weeks and I finally feel comfortable enough that I can write a reasonable review for people interested in this bike. First off, yes the bike has been upgraded from the EBR review, the 2019 edition now has a 7 gear IGH and they have also gotten rid of the Cafe Lock that was built into it. Those are the only updates I know of from 2018.

Shipping: Good. The shipping label was made the day I ordered the bike and the bike was shipped out the next day. It arrived after a week and was well packaged in a double box, all parts were there and no damage was done to the bike. UPS did a good job on the shipping with the only snafu was they delayed the bike for 2 days due to high volume.

Assembly: Average to maybe slightly below average. The bike was easy to assemble and they even had a youtube video for the assembly. It took a little bit for me to realize how to adjust the Promax stem since they didn't show how to in the video. Unfortunately, I had an issue with the front mudguard on the bike, the front part of the mudguard was pressed up against the top of the wheel when installed. I troubleshot the issue for an hour before realizing that the pictures and video on the website showed a bend in the wires that connect to the steering but my wires were straight. I then compared the front mudguard wires to the back mudguard wires and found them identical in length so I figured they accidentally attached them to the front guard. I contacted Ariel Rider by Facebook Messenger and they replied the next day telling me that the 2019 edition of the bike came with straight wires and that I needed to bend them myself. (I don't believe that though, doesn't make any sense) I did what they suggested and though it helped a little it didn't fix the issue completely, I ended up installing 4 spacers between the frame and guard connector to get the proper angle.

Build Quality: Average. 1 medium issue and 1 minor gripe. The whole bike was rock solid except for the medium issue. The medium issue was that the connected rear light won't turn on. Being busy I wasn't able to check the power delivery until yesterday and it turns out that the light isn't receiving any power, I visibly inspected the wire until it entered the motor and spotted no damage to it. Currently, I am waiting for a response for Ariel Rider on Facebook Messenger on Monday. (I just sent it out yesterday) A minor gripe is the placement of the right brake lever with the grip shifter. The left brake lever is set in a natural position but the right one is an inch or 2 lower due to the shifter connector being in the way. I would have preferred if they had the brake lever on top and spun the nexus grip shifter under the brake lever, especially since the way sight lines for the nexus gear display is pointed down so it's hard to see in a riding position.

Ride: The bike is a blast, I love the 500w Dapu motor and the bike handles my 300 pounds of weight easily. The throttle maxes out for me at 22mph and on level 6 I have been able to peddle the bike up to 26mph on straights before I start not being able to keep up the cadence and hills have been no issue as long as I am in the proper gear. The handle under the seat has been surprisingly useful for maneuvering the bike around. The bike is very maneuverable but after when you start getting into the 25+ mph the small wheelbase starts become an issue but that's to be expected for a small bike. The suspension seat post works and is really needed for a bike like this because it can be very jarring hitting even a small bump at 20mph.

Accessories: I bought the rear rack from them but I didn't feel the need for the basket. The rear rack is really small, compact and fits the bike well but that does lead into a little bit of a problem in that it gets to close to the seat. My fat backside sometimes is hitting what I have stored on the rack and I feel they would have been better to push the rack back an inch or two but that is a minor issue.

Overall: I love this bike and I feel like its value more than holds its own.
Thank you for this detail. I'm interested in this bike but have a couple of questions. Perhaps you can answer? I'm concerned about the handlebar reach. The specs say about 22 inches; is the handlebar adjustable towards the rider so the reach is less than 22 inches? I also have a question on the tire size. I will be using the bike on road 80 % and off road 20%. Is a 1.75" sufficient for this use? Thank you in advance for any insight.

Thank you for this detail. I'm interested in this bike but have a couple of questions. Perhaps you can answer? I'm concerned about the handlebar reach. The specs say about 22 inches; is the handlebar adjustable towards the rider so the reach is less than 22 inches? I also have a question on the tire size. I will be using the bike on road 80 % and off road 20%. Is a 1.75" sufficient for this use? Thank you in advance for any insight.

They use a Promax adjustable handlebar and it can be adjusted so the reach is less than 22 inches. The 1.75" are good for road use, off-road will depend heavily on the tire type and what type of off-road you use it for. The max tire size the bike can use is a 1.95", I have Maxxis Hookworms on right now and it rides much better than the stock tires. I did have to get rid of the front mudguard to get the front tire on, the back mudguard is just fine though.

They use a Promax adjustable handlebar and it can be adjusted so the reach is less than 22 inches. The 1.75" are good for road use, off-road will depend heavily on the tire type and what type of off-road you use it for. The max tire size the bike can use is a 1.95", I have Maxxis Hookworms on right now and it rides much better than the stock tires. I did have to get rid of the front mudguard to get the front tire on, the back mudguard is just fine though.
Thank you so much! My off road will be limited to campsites and parks; so I think I'll bite the bullet and get this bike! Thanks again for all you help

You can put a baby Seat. I recently bought one and you can put a Yelp baby seat by THule. I am not sure if you can fit one of those.

Quick question, what is the distance from the minimum seat height to the ground? I'm short and I was wondering if I have to get off the seat at every red light.

Thanks.

Hyndraslic,

I haven't measured but I'm 5' 3" with a 29" inseam. I had to raise the seat 1" because of my knee replacements. I upgraded to the cruiser's seat as well. I have to dismount at every stop. The bike is worth it! I'm averaging 10 miles a day on hilly roads and my knees don't even know it!

Attachments

• 20190906_100914.jpg
    20190906_100914.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 943
Back