Are you happy with your UK spec ebike?

In the UK you could register under the MSVA (Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval) scheme. Its for Self-Builds / bikes without other compliance documentation. It basically means your bike will need to be tested by a VOSA vehicle inspector. All in all its not too hard to meet "moped" spec approval...
Good to know!

I read a lot of people very happy with their High Speed Ebikes. Is there anybody who is perfectly happy with their UK restricted model?
Not perfectly happy with our comparable laws in Australia - I'd prefer a 32 km/h limit such as across the ditch in NZ or Canada - but still a darn sight more enjoyable and efficient than commuting on an unpowered bike each day!

And I acknowledge the low speed limits, at least for now, keep ebikes relatively under the radar and free from contention from other shared pathway users.

Not perfectly happy with our comparable laws in Australia - I'd prefer a 32 km/h limit such as across the ditch in NZ or Canada - but still a darn sight more enjoyable and efficient than commuting on an unpowered bike each day!

And I acknowledge the low speed limits, at least for now, keep ebikes relatively under the radar and free from contention from other shared pathway users.
That's actually my big worry - I feel like these giant motor eBikes going really fast are going to mean a crackdown for all of us and get us kicked off the bike paths. Hopefully I'm just being paranoid. The thing is I also drive a jetski and because of a few bad jetski riders, the rest of us have been penalised with places we aren't allowed to go etc. I fear the same thing will happen with eBikes.

I'd prefer a 32 km/h limit
Me, too. I rarely ride faster than 32 km/h (more often it is 28-29) but what made me really frustrated with my Giant Trance E+ was the 25 km/h motor restriction. Fancy that: You are riding on the road and there are other cyclists in front of you, riding at 24 km/h. You want to overtake them. You look in your rear-view mirror then around you: clear to overtake. You push on the pedals, are in the middle of the manoeuvre and you're "hitting the wall" because the restrictor kicked in and you cannot ride any faster. Now, you see cars driving from the opposite direction. WAT DO? :)

Funny to think I derestricted my Trance (which was expensive and difficult) mainly for increased road safety. Because e-MTBs are not designed for speed. (On the other hand, I keep the restrictor on while off-road: 25 km/h in the forest seems to be insanely fast).

Me, too. I rarely ride faster than 32 km/h (more often it is 28-29) but what made me really frustrated with my Giant Trance E+ was the 25 km/h motor restriction. Fancy that: You are riding on the road and there are other cyclists in front of you, riding at 24 km/h. You want to overtake them. You look in your rear-view mirror then around you: clear to overtake. You push on the pedals, are in the middle of the manoeuvre and you're "hitting the wall" because the restrictor kicked in and you cannot ride any faster. Now, you see cars driving from the opposite direction. WAT DO? :)

Funny to think I derestricted my Trance (which was expensive and difficult) mainly for increased road safety. Because e-MTBs are not designed for speed. (On the other hand, I keep the restrictor on while off-road: 25 km/h in the forest seems to be insanely fast).

The Trance E I got was US spec. I'm pretty happy that I got that one. It feels weird that the EU restricts ebikes to 25 kph. I can ride that fast on my Trance E with the power off! Heck, on flat terrain, I can ride that thing at 28 kph with the power off. It'll tire me out over my commute, which is why I want the power in the first place. 32 kph feels just reasonable. It's the cruising speed most people can easily achieve on any reasonable road bike. 30 kph is also about the limit at which personal injuries spike up in terms of lethality and damage, so capping it there also makes scientific sense in terms of possible injury.

Back