Are you going to ride in snow?

I still have my Nightsun from the 90's too! I should think about changing out my batteries since I haven't used it in 20 years! Any hints??
I lost the bottle that contained the battery pack so all I have left are the lights and charger. I have read about others who have soldered tabbed NiCad cells together in series, stuffed them into a water bottle then spray foamed them to prevent the cells from moving around. I think you would be better off in replacing your Nightsun with one of many current crops of LED lights. Other than it sporting the retro look (which is kind of cool), in terms of lumens, features, run times, and mounting options, it can't rival the Li-ion powered lights that are so commonly used today.

I rode my Bravo all last winter except for 4 or 5 days of extreme storms. Slow and careful while dressing warm is the key to enjoying riding year round. I have upgraded to wider tires with a more aggressive tread pattern this year...
Are those 27.5 or 700cc tires?

Very enlightening video. Winter cycling conditions in London/Toronto appears to be somewhat different from the circumstances that we are accustomed to in Alberta. I might be going out on a limb here but I think that the statistics (if available) might present quite surprising results when it comes to Albertans who partake in this pastime or take to the roads as winter commuters in more larger urban settings such as Calgary or Edmonton.

With that being said, I agree that infrastructure does play a vital role in aiding in our ability to get out on our bikes during the winter season. In my own home town, the municipality maintains approx. 23 km of trails (not public roads). The city workers/contractors clear snow from the trails as quickly as possible knowing full well that its citizens utilize them throughout the winter months.
IMG_20201112_1506183 - Copy.jpg

I can't commend the crews enough who are even known to come out on weekends to make sure that most/all the designated trails are plowed and treated with gravel. I can be on the trails in less than a minute and gain access to most areas of the city where I need to get to all while significantly avoiding motorized traffic. It’s a luxury that I don’t take lightly. I’ve actually stopped mid-ride on several occasions to personally extend my gratitude to the men and women who do such a superb job of maintaining our beloved trail system. 👍

I also watched the video with great interest. The situation where I live is, unfortunately, far more similar to Tampere than to Oulu. There's no snow removal from bike paths here, making people not ride their bikes during snowy weather. When I had my single long snow ride this year (luckily, mild weather is back again), I was actually scared to ride Warsaw bike paths, so dangerous they have become.

1611724993559.png

I'd actually prefer riding with the traffic in that situation...

1611725099144.png

A popular Polish jest is: "Winter took the road services by surprise again" :D (It is so strange it's snowing during the wintertime, isn't it).

In Calgary, from the city website:
"Of the 1000 km of city-wide pathways, The City has approval to clear snow from approximately 500 km. Approved pathways are cleared within 24 hours of a snowfall ending."

They also have a
map showing which surfaces are supposed to be cleared. My experience is relatively good on the pathways, but I also like to ride trails on Nose Hill.
With my spiked MTB tires, I've been able to do that, but I do take it easy.

As the excellent video says (thanks @WinterKill , it's not about the temperature. I would agree to that, but I'm also only a recreational cyclist now.
Arriving for work and finding a place to store one's equipment is still not the best but I would say it's getting better.

I don't know the statistics, but I have always seen quite a few winter cyclists here, even before the city got serious about enabling the activity with better infrastructure.

I’ve always known Calgary to have an excellent multi-use trail system which bodes well for those who choose to cycle all year round. Edmontonians should also feel proud of their park trail system particularly the wonderful areas around the North Sask River valley.

Our designated bike lanes here receive no special treatment as they end up being neglected and as a result are almost always covered in snow or ice during the entire winter season. Most cyclists simply use the sidewalks or bike trails as their main mode of passage around the city as the bike lanes are too dangerously close to the flow of traffic.

Very enlightening video. Winter cycling conditions in London/Toronto appears to be somewhat different from the circumstances that we are accustomed to in Alberta. I might be going out on a limb here but I think that the statistics (if available) might present quite surprising results when it comes to Albertans who partake in this pastime or take to the roads as winter commuters in more larger urban settings such as Calgary or Edmonton.

With that being said, I agree that infrastructure does play a vital role in aiding in our ability to get out on our bikes during the winter season. In my own home town, the municipality maintains approx. 23 km of trails (not public roads). The city workers/contractors clear snow from the trails as quickly as possible knowing full well that its citizens utilize them throughout the winter months.
View attachment 77642
I can't commend the crews enough who are even known to come out on weekends to make sure that most/all the designated trails are plowed and treated with gravel. I can be on the trails in less than a minute and gain access to most areas of the city where I need to get to all while significantly avoiding motorized traffic. It’s a luxury that I don’t take lightly. I’ve actually stopped mid-ride on several occasions to personally extend my gratitude to the men and women who do such a superb job of maintaining our beloved trail system. 👍

I’m really envious of the trail system you have in Red Deer! It’s very hit and miss in my town in southwestern Ontario. Fortunately I live in a wooded neighborhood where vehicle traffic is light and not fast moving. Getting closer to the highway or downtown, you want to make sure your traction is sure, or it can be scary. There is a 10 km paved trail to a nearby provincial park (below), but it’s not winter maintained unfortunately.

5D0D1FDA-0C6B-4F30-9FFD-BC5A5702B1F2.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m really envious of the trail system you have in Red Deer! It’s very hit and miss in my town in southwestern Ontario. Fortunately I live in a wooded neighborhood where vehicle traffic is light and not fast moving. Getting closer to the highway or downtown, you want to make sure your traction is sure, or it can be scary. There is a 10 km paved trail to a nearby provincial park (below), but it’s not winter maintained unfortunately.
@Lattitude - One thing we don't have to deal with here (unlike many parts of Ontario) is lake effect weather and I've heard that it can be quite nasty though it must be nice to have access to so many provincial parks during the summer months.

I'm contemplating heading out to Lake Louise later this winter and riding on the lake, or at least trying to. Not sure what the Chateau people may think. Otherwise there are other places.

I have some work mates who go play hockey on the lakes in the rockies. They both have the big NCAA champion rings from winning the Frozen 4 tourney in 2014 with Clarkson. I'm sure they'll have some good suggestions for lake riding, as i certainly couldn't skate with them anymore, If ever...

Now I need to find a film crew! 😁

I'm contemplating heading out to Lake Louise later this winter and riding on the lake, or at least trying to. Not sure what the Chateau people may think. Otherwise there are other places.

I have some work mates who go play hockey on the lakes in the rockies. They both have the big NCAA champion rings from winning the Frozen 4 tourney in 2014 with Clarkson. I'm sure they'll have some good suggestions for lake riding, as i certainly couldn't skate with them anymore, If ever...

Now I need to find a film crew! 😁
Ooh...count me in. Will you be putting me up in the Chateau as the official videographer? J/K lol! ;)

There’s also Vermilion Lake not too far from the Banff townsite. I parked my car in town and cycled to Lake Louise Village last year and Vermillion is along the way. Not as picturesque but likely fewer crowds. I think a weekday would be a more prudent choice.

Lake Minni is another option as it’s quite large but may want to stick close to shore.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/banff/activ/patinage-skating

Looks unstoppable for winter conditions! ;)
Hopefully! Saturday shall be frosty, sunny and snowless. I intend to run the tyres in by riding to "CyberPunk" friend in Warsaw (80 km round trip on paved roads). Sunday means riding to my daughter, and a lot of snow (& possibly ice) is expected. While the spikes do not protect against deep snow, the wide knobby tyres should :)

Back