Are You a Cyclist?

Very thought provoking short video.

Are you a cyclist?
Nope…biker.
Back in the early ‘80s I had a full beer can thrown at me from a truck full of construction workers in rush hour traffic on a highway doing 55 mph and it hit my handlebar just missing my left hand. I was also on the shoulder of the road.🤬

Last edited:
Do I live in a normal, bike-friendly country? So many Polish drivers are cyclists, too (I am, for one). When you see a driver who overtakes you using the opposite lane then you know that the guy is a cyclist, too.

Do I live in a normal, bike-friendly country? So many Polish drivers are cyclists, too (I am, for one). When you see a driver who overtakes you using the opposite lane then you know that the guy is a cyclist, too.
Either that or just a courteous, right-thinking person. I have folks pass me every time I take the short part of my ride that is on a street and even older people who have handicap licenses generally give me plenty of room.

Either that or just a courteous, right-thinking person. I have folks pass me every time I take the short part of my ride that is on a street and even older people who have handicap licenses generally give me plenty of room.
I mean, the guy in the video shows some kind of apocalyptic world. Is that true?

I mean, the guy in the video shows some kind of apocalyptic world. Is that true?
The guy in the video isn't saying cycling is dangerous, we all know it can be. He's saying people can be dangerous, be it in an automobile or on a bike. He's also saying bike riders aren't a monolithic lot. We don't all think the same, ride the same, ride for the same reason. Many bike commuters never ride for pleasure; many pleasure riders never ride for fitness. Many fitness riders only ride for the exercise.

I can identify with one of the points he makes. He complained he is called on to answer for all cyclists. I've heard those comments. 'Why don't you guys ever stop for stop signs?' That sort of thing. We see that on the forum, 'those spandexters always...'

I live in a rural area very little crime (if any) against cyclists. I can't remember ever hearing about a bike being stolen. That's really not the point of the video though.

I have to give credit to urban riders and commuters though. They have a tougher row to hoe.

Last edited:
Nope…biker.
Back in the early ‘80s I had a full beer can thrown at me from a truck full of construction workers in rush hour traffic on a highway doing 55 mph and it hit my handlebar just missing my left hand. I was also on the shoulder of the road.🤬

A FULL beer can thrown at your hands? It was a gift from another cranky

You have plans for the afternoon. A fellow friend calls and invites you to join in on a ride. You juggle, change your appointments to another day so you can join the ride....you are a cyclist.

Nope…biker.
I was knocked off my bike by the mirror of a passing dump truck. He had to go out of his way to do that.
Didn´t slow down one iota. I´ve ridden road bikes, & mtn, gas bicycles & electric too. me biker, ugh.🚴‍♀️
Very thought provoking short video.

Are you a cyclist?
Cyclist or biker, you will never see me riding in urban traffic. I´ve bin hit 4 times; & that completes my quota!

I was knocked off my bike by the mirror of a passing dump truck. He had to go out of his way to do that.
Didn´t slow down one iota. I´ve ridden road bikes, & mtn, gas bicycles & electric too. me biker, ugh.🚴‍♀️

Cyclist or biker, you will never see me riding in urban traffic. I´ve bin hit 4 times; & that completes my quota!
Just a simple caveman! In ‘73 my intro to bike commuting was 5+ miles each way in rush hour traffic in Colorado Springs with no bike lanes. Got hit once and was run off the road another time. That was just the beginning.
Between bikes and motorcycles, I‘ve used up at least 8.5 of my 9 lives, which explains why my street traffic travel is extremely limited, like <5% and always on very lightly traveled streets.

I posted this in 2017. Sorry to all that saw it, but it sorta fits here now. For everyone that hasn't seen it here's some comic relief.

Living in the USA - to avoid haters, I have a jersey that says "US Army". Also wear socks with logo/colors of nearby University sports team. I've been OK since these changes. Still have issues with BMW drivers but there's no shirt/logo that can help with that. Just have to be lucky.

It's even more funny when the "cyclist" rides an ebike but still compares times on strava and brags about their cycling prowess. Or act like anyone who doesn't pay ridiculous sums of money for a bike "no way I'd pay that much, it's just a freaking bicycle" must be in some lower caste and too poor or too much of a Philistine to appreciate bicycles as works of art.

Just a simple caveman! In ‘73 my intro to bike commuting was 5+ miles each way in rush hour traffic in Colorado Springs with no bike lanes. Got hit once and was run off the road another time. That was just the beginning.
Between bikes and motorcycles, I‘ve used up at least 8.5 of my 9 lives, which explains why my street traffic travel is extremely limited, like <5% and always on very lightly traveled streets.
I grew up in C. Sprs., only 40k people when I was little. I cleared out in ´70 for the west slope; quit a
form setting job with a week´s pay & never looked back. Bet it´s about 500K now. Can´t believe I
used to climb right up the Fillmore hill on a clunky 2 spd Schwinn. Rode to Aspen 0n a $25 stingray
with a banana seat & ape hangers, backpack hung between the bars..Front wheel fell off going
down Independence Pass. Not a scratch, but I chased that wheel 1/2 a mile.

yes!
but I value the point of view of the original post video. You shouldn't have to be "a cyclist" just to use a bicycle as transport effectively. I've ridden a lot in The Netherlands (mostly Leiden) and felt very at home among so many riders even though it was obvious you didn't need to be a cyclist there to use bicycles daily.

The biggest hazard in my town are the elderly. You must pay 100% attention and expect them to do the wrong thing because they usually will.

Back