Are there fenders and rear rack that I can remove and put back fast ?

alpinegeek

Region
Europe
Hello, I've posted other threads related to this but I finally decided to remove the rear rack and fenders of my Specialized Turbo Tero 4.0 EQ since I go out on trails way more frequently that I thought I would, but I still want to use it for commuting (just going to school). Can someone give me some links for a rear rack and fenders that I could remove fast to switch between trails and commuting ?

There are things you can do to simplify th3 process - eg make brackets to attach fender to rack so all you have to do is unbolt the rack. Fit an accessible plug for the light .

Invest in decent tools, eg ratcheting spanner / socket set if you don't already have them - it really should only take a few mins

Hello, I've posted other threads related to this but I finally decided to remove the rear rack and fenders of my Specialized Turbo Tero 4.0 EQ since I go out on trails way more frequently that I thought I would, but I still want to use it for commuting (just going to school). Can someone give me some links for a rear rack and fenders that I could remove fast to switch between trails and commuting ?
How much weight do you need for the rack capacity? This one might do...

This depends a lot on your bike and the rack and fender mounts available.

There are some simple clip-on rear fenders that are easy to install and remove, especially with a bit of practice.

Another way to simplify things is to consider rackless bike bags.

I remember this question asked before on this site. In all of my years reading various mtb and bicycling magazines; poking around here and over at Bike Forums, I have never, ever seen a question like this ever posed before.

Please tell this audience what you expect to gain by removing a rack before going on a trail? I believe if there are any gains to be made, it will be in switching out the tires and rims you use on your commute, for a more aggressive, knobby tread. But even at that, I can tell you I biked a few many times using my Belt Drive, IGH Trek Soho DLX, with Bontrager commuter tires and full fenders both front and rear. I found at a minimum, the fenders did a nice job keeping the trail dust off the bike.

Since you asked for info and opinions, here is what I would do, short of having a bike solely for commuting and a fun, off-road trail bike for the times when you want to go off road: Ditch the fenders if it causes much anguish. Keep the rack, outfit a pannier for the off-road repair parts and pumps you will need, sooner or later. For commuting in inclement weather, invest in a good set of rain gear by Showers Pass or something with Gore Tex as your now fenderless bike will kick up rain water.

And have fun.

On a commuter bike? LOL I see a frame warranty denial in the OP's future.
Oh no, it technically is an equipped XC e-bike.

1676309507933.png

Last edited:
I recently made a custom one for other reasons but if you are handy it is doable.
I mounted a seatpost style fender to the bottom of a seatpost mounted rack. I had to cut out the top of the fender to get it to sit properly to the bottom of the rack main support. Additionally I wanted a slightly larger rack then original and the bent up top section that typically sits forward to be in the rear to give clearance to my under seat tool pouch so I used the top portion of a different rack and mounted it to the main support flipped 180°
You probably won't need to do any of that.
I've been riding with it for a while to be sure it clears with the rear suspension and all is good so come nicer weather I'll remove it, fine tune some details and paint it proper.
I don't have to proper paint booth and hate painting indoors

PXL_20230213_181412737~2.jpg°

I'd recommend ditching your current fenders and go with some clip-on fenders when you need 'em:

I'd also consider big front and rear saddlebags for commuting rather than racks, one like Swift's Zeitgeist can be mounted off your saddle or your handlebars, possibly with a little helper rack (easily installed and removed):

If you hunt around you can find much less expensive options, but since a lot of bike bags are kind of a cottage industry they tend to be a bit pricey. Bags by Bird is another well-thought of brand that has some cool options.

Lmao I know it doesn't make any sense but the fenders are really annoying me
Same here. This is not a trail bike but the fender concept comes from my take on how to deal with the same issue, and now I just do it with all bikes regardless of their duty cycle.

First of all, forget about removing the rack. The easier it is to remove, the easier it is to knock out of place. Racks that clamp to the seatpost never seem to stay perfectly in place and you will deal with thread galling as you screw and unscrew the attachment bracket - even if you upgrade the bolt to stainless or similar (you won't be able to upgrade the threaded bolt hole).

Next, rethink how you do fenders. Think only about creating a splash guard that keeps water spray off of your body from the various trajectories that will arise from normal runs thru water and mud. You do not need close-coverage urban fenders to accomplish this. You need a dam of sorts.

This one works although, as a new bike build, its not quite finished yet. The bit of aluminum deck keeps water spray from coming up and forward from 9 o'clock upward a bit. The fender handles the rest of the spray coming up off the top, as well as the spray coming off the tire as it travels downward (I need to extend it a couple of inches on both sides).
20230210_123027.jpg

The rack deck is broadened with a cut bit of flexible plastic (flexible cutting board sold on Amazon). You could do the job of the alloy bar by just extending that plastic a few inches off the back but I also use that bobtail as a place to stick a big piece of prismatic red street sign tape to help me not get flattened by overtaking traffic. You can see how I extended that rear mudguard with white Gorilla tape. That is a Mucky Nuts Fat Face Fender, reversed and used on the rear instead of the front. Mucky Nuts sells the white ones for a steep discount on clearance at their site. I usually paint them black but since this bike was white...
20230210_131507.jpg

A short front wheel mudguard coupled to a body fender on the downtube will keep water and mud off of you completely. Again maybe extend that mudguard front and rear with a bit of gorilla tape.

End result is complete water protection for the rider - from wheelspray at least - without the rattle of fenders or the grinding of rocks and mud inside of them.

I ditched the front and rear fenders (didn’t realize how heavy they were after removal..lol) on my Canyon Pathlite ON.
The rear fender provided for-aft support for the rear rack so I fabricated a support arm out of aluminum bar stock for the rack… and mounted a bottle cage on the support arm.
The rack stays on permanently as I do a lot of overnight, off road bikepacking.
IMG_6817.jpeg

Back