Are the brake cutoff switches really needed?

AxialFlux

On both of my ebike builds, the shifters are integrated into the brake handles, so I cannot swap them out. Thought about printing some type of holder just for the switch itself, and hacking it on my existing levers, but I'm wondering if these are really needed? My thinking is, if something were to happen, like the motor jams on, I could just flip the battery switch off. I mean, how often does something like that happen with these kits?

Trip wires, available here: https://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/ebrakes.html might provide a solution. Not sure which version they have listed might be best for you but you can reach out to them. The only runaway experience I have ever experienced was years ago when I had a Golden Motor mounted on a BOB trailer but I was just starting off and was able to control it.

That said I don't use them on either of my brifter bikes, I am assuming that is the type of "brake handles" you are talking about. However I do have two alternatives available to me located at the handlebars, a momentary switch and blipping the throttle. I don't use them on my kit eMTB either and don't have any other options other than what you suggest but that would be a bit hard to do.

I suppose this is a matter of opinion but brake cutouts saved my bacon when a throttle cable lead shorted. I was standing next to the bike when it took off on it's own! Luckily, I had one hand on the bar and was able to grab the brake.

I think ebrake motor cut offs are a very necessary safety feature for cadence sensor ebikes, I was pushing my BBS01 next to a hedge when the cranks caught and turned a little, the bike took off and I had to throw it to the ground. I’ve also used them when off the bike and pushing a loaded bike up a very steep hill feathering the throttle, the motor doesn’t cut out immediately unless I use the ebrakes.

YES ! Especially in tight, low speed turns, and even more especially, U-turns. I always cover the brake, so that I can still pedal in these situations. As they say .... "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement" Only once did I try to pedal in a U-turn without covering the brakes. 😆

On both of my ebike builds, the shifters are integrated into the brake handles, so I cannot swap them out. Thought about printing some type of holder just for the switch itself, and hacking it on my existing levers, but I'm wondering if these are really needed? My thinking is, if something were to happen, like the motor jams on, I could just flip the battery switch off. I mean, how often does something like that happen with these kits?
You can buy universal ebrake switches that you attach to your exiting brake levers. Theses are $8.99:
1601222979342.png

Last edited:
You can buy universal ebrake switches that you attach to your exiting brake levers. Theses are $8.99:
View attachment 66728

Interesting. That may be what I am looking for!

Great price when it gets delivered in November. eBay gone Aliexpress!

If the ground wire breaks on a three wire throttle, probably 99% of your chinese designed controllers will go full throttle. I've experienced it once. Brake cutoffs are good to have for emergencies and also for low speed maneuvers.

Back