Anything on Canbus protocol yet

Don’t want to like, but I think you are BangOn
I did a cost comparison of a BBSHD with what are pretty much necessary upgrades (crankarms, chainring) and a Cyc X1 Pro and came up with the BBSHD only winning by fifty bucks. That was vs. a Luna bare bones motor with purchasing individual parts from the best sources to make the install... so I'm paying quite a bit less than most people.

Unfortunately the Cyc is a less-refined motor in some respects. Its programming is good and sounds like its getting better (apparently the controller issues have been dealt with except for the high power installs), but you can't beat the HD's setup for silent unobtrusiveness. The Cyc is a noisy little bugger although here again its supposed to be quieter now.

Bafang Ultra M620 question . has anyone / Dealer found a way to program the CANbus controller ? Help please.
I can(bus) now at least read the canbus protocol. I was able to install the BESST software, hook up the BESST tool and get a live read from the display. I'm still having trouble reading the controller, but I've watched a troubleshooting video about that somewheres on the youtubes and will be playing more with this in the coming weeks. Very excited to at least have a working canbus connection at the moment. Now if I could just get my hands on a stock firmware file as a failsafe I'd feel much better about playing around with it. (Don't tell my wife I had the bike in the kitchen)

Attachments

• PXL_20220506_143932754.jpg
    PXL_20220506_143932754.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 381
  • PXL_20220506_144201572.jpg
    PXL_20220506_144201572.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 379
  • PXL_20220506_145049029.jpg
    PXL_20220506_145049029.jpg
    518.9 KB · Views: 378
I can(bus) now at least read the canbus protocol. I was able to install the BESST software, hook up the BESST tool and get a live read from the display. I'm still having trouble reading the controller, but I've watched a troubleshooting video about that somewheres on the youtubes and will be playing more with this in the coming weeks. Very excited to at least have a working canbus connection at the moment. Now if I could just get my hands on a stock firmware file as a failsafe I'd feel much better about playing around with it. (Don't tell my wife I had the bike in the kitchen)
Thanks for the update... we are all counting on you

ET
Did I understand you right?
All you did was hook up the Besst program reader and you can see/read,
what is programmed on/in the Bafang M620/G510 motor setting?
Is this for all the 4 sections? or only the main intro page?

I am wondering just what are all the settings OEM Canbus are for the,
Basic/Peddle assist/ Throttle/Torque as they are awful as sent out?..

If you have all 4 reading from the above areas, can you post the info, for everyone to see, as I am sure there are some riders that would like to have an Idea what those setting are, I would like to compare those settings for when I change out to the Uart motor etc.
Thank you
Don

Last edited:
ET
Did I understand you right?
All you did was hook up the Besst program reader and you can see/read,
what is programmed on/in the Bafang M620/G510 motor setting?
Is this for all the 4 sections? or only the main intro page?

I am wondering just what are all the settings OEM Canbus are for the,
Basic/Peddle assist/ Throttle/Torque as they are awful as sent out?..

If you have all 4 reading from the above areas, can you post the info, for everyone to see, as I am sure there are some riders that would like to have an Idea what those setting are, I would like to compare those settings for when I change out to the Uart motor etc.
Thank you
Don
Unfortunately the 4 panels as referenced in the UART software are not a 1 to 1 equivalent with the canbus BESST software. It's completely different but will allow a user to flash an entirely new profile to the controller. Currently I don't know of anyone who has decoded that file, but I do know that different firmware/profiles files do exist for the ultra. My hope is to talk the company I bought the bike from into emailing me the stock settings and to get them to make some changes to the file as well. I know Biktrix will do this upon request. I unfortunately (no so unfortunately) own a UART Biktrix bike as well, so I don't think they are going to want to provide the files to me.

Thanks VT
I was mainly interested in Seeing/Reading the Canbus setting of my motor, or ANY Canbus motor to see what's is going on etc and then just compare the different settings.
I am well aware in the lack of settings for Cbus, I can't even change the wheel setting diameters from 26" to 31.5" measured, it's the reason I bought a Uart motor so I can program it for better off road/trail riding to suit my riding style etc.

I have never seen anyone post the stock readings/settings of a Cbus motor yet.

Thanks,
Don

So just as a long awaited update, I have now actually used the tool and software on a bike with success. Unfortunately that bike was not mine but rather a friends ebike with an m600 motor. The good news is that the whole process is pretty simple. The bad new is that it's looking like the only options we have on canbus is to completely change out the firmware and make minor changes like the speed limit, wheel size and such. Currently there is a pretty good support for the m600/m510/m500 here: https://github.com/OpenSourceEBike/Bafang_M500_M600. I have however yet to fine a SINGLE firmware file for the ultra... please please please, if you have any firmware files up your sleeves, let me know so I can test it out on an ultra motor.

I now have at least one firmware file for the m620 if anyone is interested.

CRR10MC4830E101101.1.06_220506.bin: Version 1.1 is a custom firmware made for an individual who wanted the power levels reduced from the stock CANBUS 1-5 from 10A/15A/20A/25A/30A down to 3A/6A/12A/20A/30A with no speed limit.

CRR10MC4830E101141.1.02-CR R10M.1000.FC 1.1.bin: This firmware file I am not entirely sure about the parameters and shows version 41.1. I also suspect this later version might be an early test firmware for the upcoming m630 motor.

I'm currently negotiating with my ebike supplier to have them talk with Bafang to build a custom version and backup version of my 18.1 firmware. I have yet to flash any new firmware files to my m620. The moment I get a backup copy of my firmware I will be flashing the files. Once again, I have NOT tested these out since I have no original firmware as a failsafe. If anyone is feeling brave or has a spare CANBUS ultra kicking around and would like to test these out, please by all means give them a try and report back! As soon as I have a backup copy of my current firmware I will make that file available as well and report back with more details about the other firmware files.

Attachments

• m620 firmwares.zip
    109.7 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
So good news, I was able to source a backup firmware file! I went ahead and flashed each firmware to note their differences:

Version 1.1:
  • Starting current is 3 amps. Since mode 1 is max 3 amps, it feels like an on/off switch but still a vast improvement for lower speed pedaling.
  • Power levels start low and have a nice power curve: 3A/6A/12A/20A/30A.
  • Keep current or time after you stop pedaling feels to be identical at about a half second to a full second after pedaling. Unfortunately the stop decay seems to be set pretty long so the motor has a long drawn out spin down. I much prefer an immediate cut in power.
  • No speed limit.
Version 18.1:
  • Starting current (Same as v1.1)
  • Power levels start high and are linear: 10A/15A/20A/25A/30A
  • Keep current feels the same as v1.1 but without stop decay (the power cuts immediately instead of a slow spin-down).
  • No speed limit.
Version 41.1:
  • Starting current (Same as v1.1)
  • Power levels (Same as v1.1)
  • Keep current (Same as v18.1)
  • Speed limit set to 16mph. Fortunately I can remove this with my DPC-18 display.
Final thoughts...
I'm still working to have another firmware file created based on my experience with UART ultra motor programming and the variations above. Here is what I'm hoping for:
  • Starting current: I would like to see this reduced as low as possible. On my UART motor I have the starting current incredibly low (not sure of the value but it doesn't even register as one pixel on the current read out of the DPC-18). This in my opinion makes for a much more natural feeling pedaling experience.
  • Power levels: I love the v1.1 power level curve. My only complaint is with power level 1 because the starting current is the same as the max current, so it's just an on/off switch. If the starting current can be reduced, this will make mode 1 an amazing slow crawling setting. This would be most useful on crowded bike paths at low speeds and rough technical trails where power surges are hazardous.
  • Keep current: I would like to see this removed completely. Feels way too long and completely unnecessary. If you've ever ridden an m600, there is no extra power after pedaling stops.
  • Speed limit: None, allow the end user to set based on their local regulations.
In the meantime I'm now running version 41.1 with the speed limit removed. At least this is a small bit of progress!

Back