Anyone using the Origin8 Supercell fat tires

My conclusion based on first hand experience and other threads:

Supercell is much more durable than the Vee Speedster/Origin8 Captiv8er.

The Vee Speedster/Origin8 Captiv8er has crisper handling, and rolls faster at the cost of treadlife and durability.

I put a set of the 30TPI wire bead Supercell on my 2018 RadRover before I even rode the bike for the first time. There's also a folding 120TPI version. Got caught in the rain during my first ride to work and they handled great. Super quiet too. The only supplier I could find was BicycleBuys.com. They sell them directly from their website or as a 3rd party on Amazon. The tires and shipping are cheaper from the BicycleBuys website and they shipped it out the next day. I expected them to come completely unfolded as I've experienced with other wire bead tires. No worries though as I easily rubbed out some of the sidewall wrinkles and leaned them up against the wall for a day before mounting. By the way, mounting was a breeze. No tire levers needed except maybe to get your old tires off. PSI range is 10-20 for the wire bead. I keep mine at 18 for commuting on asphalt roadways. I also lockout my suspension fork. Here's a pic of the front tire on my RadRover.

1532729477570.png

You can also look at the Sandstorm by Chaoyang Tire. They're either making the Supercell for Origin8 or the Sandstorm is a copy because the tread pattern looks identical. No luck finding a US dealer for them though.

I put a set of the 30TPI wire bead Supercell on my 2018 RadRover before I even rode the bike for the first time. There's also a folding 120TPI version. Got caught in the rain during my first ride to work and they handled great. Super quiet too. The only supplier I could find was BicycleBuys.com. They sell them directly from their website or as a 3rd party on Amazon. The tires and shipping are cheaper from the BicycleBuys website and they shipped it out the next day. I expected them to come completely unfolded as I've experienced with other wire bead tires. No worries though as I easily rubbed out some of the sidewall wrinkles and leaned them up against the wall for a day before mounting. By the way, mounting was a breeze. No tire levers needed except maybe to get your old tires off. PSI range is 10-20 for the wire bead. I keep mine at 18 for commuting on asphalt roadways. I also lockout my suspension fork. Here's a pic of the front tire on my RadRover.

View attachment 23993

You can also look at the Sandstorm by Chaoyang Tire. They're either making the Supercell for Origin8 or the Sandstorm is a copy because the tread pattern looks identical. No luck finding a US dealer for them though.

Thanks for the info and pic.

I've been looking for a similar solution as I'll be mainly riding asphalt roads with occasional gravel roads. Are the Supercell tires capable of being run Tubeless??

I'm using Vee-Tire speedsters and love the smooth ride and great handling. No flats so far.

Attachments

• _DSC1774.jpg
    _DSC1774.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 827
Last edited:
Love the Supercells. I was told my Rad rims were not correct for tubeless by Velofix tech. Not sure if he was correct or not. Obviously running mine with tubes.

How are these on gravel? Much of my ride is pavement but a good bit is gravel which ranges from mostly dirt to actual 1” gravel road. The stock Rad Rover tires by Kenda are pretty loud with the knobs. I’m wearing them down and looking for replacements.

What the commuting ebike market needs are more choices for long life high puncture resistant street tires. The tires mentioned so far are probably the best if you are looking for 3" wide or wider tires. The Kenda Kwicks and Scwalbe Moto Xs are good tires when less than 3" widths are wanted but both have thread depths that I think are too shallow for longer life (I think the tire manufacturers don't want tires lasting more than say 5,000km). Strangely the Moto X in a 2.8" width have less puncture resistance (ie different construction) vs the 2.4s which really puzzles me.

I live in Colorado where goat heads thorns can puncture most bike tires easily unless they are at least 6mm thick. Even if you have sealant you can hit a patch of these thorns and get a dozen or more punctures such that the sealant isn't very effective if you run tubes.

I have never understood why some bikes are being sold as "commuter" ebikes but have knobby tires standard.

Back