Anyone in Michigan?

TAZMANIMAN

My wife and I are planning a vacation in July and were looking for inside info on some rides. We don't like riding with traffic so preferably designated trails. Also any great attractions, places to eat or things to do. Any input is appreciated!

If you end up spending any time in the Detroit metro area, you need to check out the Metro Parks trails. They're some of the nicest trails I've been on.

Other "do not miss" Mi. vacation features (IMHO) would include the Henry Ford museum, Sleeping Bear sand dunes, Mackinaw Island, and possibly the Soo Locks (take a boat tour!).

Michigan has some great rides! One of my favorites is the Kal-Haven Trail. Starts in Kalamazoo and goes to South Haven, a beautiful small town on the shore of Lake Michigan.

Michigan has some great rides! One of my favorites is the Kal-Haven Trail. Starts in Kalamazoo and goes to South Haven, a beautiful small town on the shore of Lake Michigan.

Kal-Haven is at the top of my list to explore with my wife. E-bikes are allowed or at least ignored?

"Ignored" would be a good description of our experience as well. I'm a snowbird and our MI. home is adjacent to a large state park (Pontiac Lk. Rec. Area). Trails criss cross the entire 3500 acre park pretty much. I've lived there most of my life. We've chatted with park rangers while sitting on our bikes and they've never even asked about them.

Last edited:
"Ignored" would be a good description of our experience as well. I'm a snowbird and out MI. home is adjacent to a large state park (Pontiac Lk. Rec. Area). Trails criss cross the entire 3500 acre park pretty much. I've lived there most of my life. We've chatted with park rangers while sitting on our bikes and they've never even asked about them.

Good to know. I'm a Texas transplant so I still don't know all of the SE Michigan area that well but I think you're up close to where I go target shooting from time to time (Bald Mountain). But I've been on Kal Haven's website a bunch of times trying to plan a weekend bike ride/trip to the lakeshore. Just wasn't sure if they would strictly enforce the 'non-motorized' rule stated on their website. Our backup plan or another alternate has been to head to Indiana and try out the Cardinal Greenway. Aspirations for 2020.

Back