Anyone have experienced with Rola Convoy Modular Bike Carrier?

Rogie

I’m wondering if anyone have used or currently using this hitch rack. I recently bought the Rover 5 and was wondering if this rack is compatible. Any feedback is much appreciated.

I issue I ran into with deciding on any bike carrier with ebikes are:

- max weight for each ebike on each rack position. Usually 2" bike rack and handle more weight per position compared to 1 1/4" bike racks. I can put my +60lbs Radrovers on my first two positions closest to the hitch on my Saris Freedom SuperClamp4; but, I can only put 2 more 35lbs each regular bikes on the outer two positions.

- tongue weight for your vehicle; which, is usually 10% of tow capacity (but not always). Some bike carriers have an adapter/extension to convert 1 1/4" into 2". Anything that extends the weight further back will reduce the tongue weight for your vehicle. Too much weight in the back can blind folks with your headlights, lighten front end for handling/steering/braking, reduce the cargo/people in the rear area, and might bottom out over bumps or starting up steep inclines.

Side Note: I like bike carriers that swing out or drop down to access the SUV rear hatch area. I also like bike racks with built-in locks or I have the ability to easily add locks for extra security. The more locks the better! I sometimes put up to 3 locks on my ebikes just to atleast slow the person down when traveling out of town.

I issue I ran into with deciding on any bike carrier with ebikes are:

- max weight for each ebike on each rack position. Usually 2" bike rack and handle more weight per position compared to 1 1/4" bike racks. I can put my +60lbs Radrovers on my first two positions closest to the hitch on my Saris Freedom SuperClamp4; but, I can only put 2 more 35lbs each regular bikes on the outer two positions.

- tongue weight for your vehicle; which, is usually 10% of tow capacity (but not always). Some bike carriers have an adapter/extension to convert 1 1/4" into 2". Anything that extends the weight further back will reduce the tongue weight for your vehicle. Too much weight in the back can blind folks with your headlights, lighten front end for handling/steering/braking, reduce the cargo/people in the rear area, and might bottom out over bumps or starting up steep inclines.

Side Note: I like bike carriers that swing out or drop down to access the SUV rear hatch area. I also like bike racks with built-in locks or I have the ability to easily add locks for extra security. The more locks the better! I sometimes put up to 3 locks on my ebikes just to atleast slow the person down when traveling out of town.
I do have a 2" hitch and probably will not have more than 2 e-bikes when travelling. I like the idea of the Rola modular where I can add on later. I'm trying to convince my wife to also start riding and the reason I'm looking for something that I can still use if & when she does say yes.

I’m wondering if anyone have used or currently using this hitch rack. I recently bought the Rover 5 and was wondering if this rack is compatible. Any feedback is much appreciated.

I have the single configuration with the 2” hitch. Capacity for single bike is 80lbs and with 1 add on unit capacity is 75 lbs per bike. Good up to 5” tires. It’s a heavy rack, but it’s also heavy duty. It will work excellent for your bike and the price can’t be beat. If you get it, assemble it while attached to your car hitch, much easier.

I don’t have your bike and I just looked and saw that it has fenders. What’s great about this rack is you can set it so that that the anchor arm clamps to the top tube of your RadRover5.

I have the single configuration with the 2” hitch. Capacity for single bike is 80lbs and with 1 add on unit capacity is 75 lbs per bike. Good up to 5” tires. It’s a heavy rack, but it’s also heavy duty. It will work excellent for your bike and the price can’t be beat. If you get it, assemble it while attached to your car hitch, much easier.
@BillH thank you for the tip. This is exactly the info I was looking for when I posted this. I know what you mean about the price. I have been looking online & it seems most of the heavy duty rack with good reviews are mid $300 & up. I just want to make sure that the product been tested by the community before committing to buying it.

Back