Anyone Cut Their Vado Handle Bars?

lewes5

Coming from a road bike, I find the Vado's handlebars incredibly wide. I feel like a monkey hanging on to the bars.

In fact, my road bike's bars are 18 inches wide and the Vado's are 27 inches wide. A huge difference. With one's arms and shoulders stretched out that wide, there is major wind resistance that both you and the motor must overcome.

I'm considering sawing off about 3 inches from each end to shorten them up to something more reasonable.

Interested to know if anyone else feels the bars are too wide and if you have shortened them, either by sawing off the ends or simply purchased a new set of more narrow bars.

Thanks!

I installed drop extensions, which could even be moved inboard a bit. IMG_20180923_165314.jpg
All road riding... Mine are also 27", and I'm considering the same, but my hybrid frame geometry might call for a wider stance for control...I just don't know.

The flat bar needs space to mount two brake levers, and in my (Rad) case, shifter, throttle, and control, all of which want the 22.2mm bar size. The extensions are cheap, and would allow for movable experimentation before cutting.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013G6PB8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Coming from a road bike, I find the Vado's handlebars incredibly wide. I feel like a monkey hanging on to the bars.

In fact, my road bike's bars are 18 inches wide and the Vado's are 27 inches wide. A huge difference. With one's arms and shoulders stretched out that wide, there is major wind resistance that both you and the motor must overcome.

I'm considering sawing off about 3 inches from each end to shorten them up to something more reasonable.

Interested to know if anyone else feels the bars are too wide and if you have shortened them, either by sawing off the ends or simply purchased a new set of more narrow bars.

Thanks!
I find the Vado handle bars a bit too wide but haven't yet done anything about. I was recommended to cut of an inch on each side as I get neck pain. The wide grip sort of pushes my shoulders back anx inward.
My other bike's handle bars are approx. 23 inches.

Well, on a rainy day, I'm in the garage practicing what I'm preaching...moving the drop extensions in, and leaving a handswidth of flat, I'm getting about 24", which I'm going to tape up tomorrow and try. This gives me a 1.5" overhang on both sides...rather than cut it off, I'm going to tape it up as is, and call it yet another shelf to change hand positions to as I try and minimize numbness in one hand. I think you're right about the too wide thing.

With an adjustable stem and bars, I'll be able to fiddle with it for some time. That Vado looks great, btw.

The width is standard for flat bars these days but I’m old school and wanted narrower so I cut them down. Just use a pipe cutter and file any burrs. I also added bar ends (don’t use them much) and had to also cut a hole in the grip ends so they would slide all the way on. I used a dremel to cut a clean hole but you can’t see it anyway since the bar end butts up against it.

Vado50, curious to know how much you cut off?

I was going to use a hacksaw but a pipe cutter makes far more sense. Did you have difficulty removing or sliding the grips along the bars?

Thanks!

Vado50, curious to know how much you cut off?

I was going to use a hacksaw but a pipe cutter makes far more sense. Did you have difficulty removing or sliding the grips along the bars?

Thanks!
The stock bars are crazy wide. If the bars really were 27” then I cut off 1.75” from each side and then moved the grips in another 3/4” to make room for the bar ends. The effective width of my handlebars (distance between the outside of left and right grip) is 22” and the total bar width is 23.5”. I just compared it with my other non e-bike upright bar commuter bike which I was comfortable with after 14k miles.

For the grips you just need to cut all the plastic from then end (underneath the rubber) so that it will slide all the way onto the bars. Dremel cutting bit (looks like a drill bit, not grinder) is great for the plastic but you’ll need to use small wire cutters to snip at the rubber. If you aren’t doing bar ends, you can skip this step. I use A 3rd Eye bar end mirror so I need the hole in the grip anyway. Cutting out the end of the grips will allow you to move the grips in before cutting the bars so you can experiment with the best width for you.

Thanks!

Hi there! Bud in Denver here. I've been riding Vado 6 for some time and immediately trimmed about 3 inches from each side. Much better. btw where are you located?

I come from a road bike background as well, so when I bought my Haibike Trekking RC I knew would not like the wide mountain bike handlebars. I thought I would eventually convert to drops, but I replaced the stock bars with the Origin8 Strongbow, which is like the Jones H-bar, but without the pronounced sweep. I typically place my hands where the extension meets the main bar. I like that I can get into an aero tuck as well. I could tape the bars, but I like the clean look and find it comfortable even without tape.

IMG_1341.jpg

Hey Bud, we are located in Lewes, Delaware, adjacent to Rehoboth Beach and a stone's throw from Dewey Beach, one of the East Coast Party Central locations. In our area it's mostly flat with some smallish hills. I leave the assist level at the lowest mark and use the bike's gears needed changes. The exception are the coastal winds. Pedaling into a 15 mph headwind is no fun - and forces me to go the second level assist.

Curious to know how you shortened you bars, hacksaw or as Vado50 mentioned, a pipe cutter? Seems to me the pipe cutter would be a cleaner way.

Nova, I like that Strongbow but it looks awfully wide. I do like the idea and going into tuck position. From the angle of the photo, it appears that the brake and shifter are an integrated unit???

Thanks for the info!!

They are indeed wide, but it does not bother me much, except when I have to ride through narrowly placed bollards. I could cut them down but I have elected not to do so. The brake levers and shifter are not integrated, hence the separate clamps and mounting bolts. I contemplated getting the i-spec shifters that mount to the brake levers, but then I would give up the optical displays, which I rather like.

OK, finally bit the bullet and cut about 2.5 inches from each end of the bars using a pipe cutter. Turned out to be a quick, easy job.

The resultant "cockpit" feels surprising smaller or compact even though it's still wider than the road bike with drops.

It's suppose to pour tomorrow so I'll have to wait until Sunday to try out the "new" bike. Just sitting in the garage, however, feels very comfortable.

See photos.

Attachments

• vado_cut_bars_1_900.jpg
    vado_cut_bars_1_900.jpg
    448.1 KB · Views: 896
  • vado_cut_bars_2_900.jpg
    vado_cut_bars_2_900.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 641
I've not cut my Vado handlebars but replaced them with bars like on the Como. I find it gives me a slightly more upright riding position and the more sweptback angle reduces the ache in my wrists.
I would have replaced them with Dutch bike type North Road bars if I could have found some with a 30.8 clamp fitting.

Back