Anyome tried a Racktime Shine Evo IMM on their non Turbo Vado SL 4.0

ckendall

Region
USA
Has anyone tried this carrier rack Racktime Shine Evo IMM on their non Turbo Vado SL 4.0? The IMM mudguard mount looks promising but I haven’t inspected a Turbo Vado SL EQ closely. This question was also posted a few years ago with no answer.

Attachments

• IMG_1819.jpeg
    IMG_1819.jpeg
    22 KB · Views: 126
I just got one of these and tried it. No dice. Not enough clearance.

Last edited:
I'm curious, where was there no clearance? Was it at the top of the tire? Sidewall? Mudguard to tire? TIA

I'm curious, where was there no clearance? Was it at the top of the tire? Sidewall? Mudguard to tire? TIA
Mudguard to Top of the tire. No clearance with the mudguard under the rack and very very close mudguard clearance where screwed into the center of the seat stay bridge. Also the mudguard seemed more shaped for 26” wheels than 700c or 29. I am wondering if the rack could work without the mudguard with hardware like that used for this Bontrager rack and a seat post collar OR if this rack could work. These rack clamps might have to be mounted to clear the sidewalls or mounted with the tube holes on top.

Last edited:
I installed a Racktime rack using a seat post collar from Specialized. I found Racktimes website really helpful because they have schematics with all the measurements available.

Attachments

• Racktime.jpg
    Racktime.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 197
I installed a Racktime rack using a seat post collar from Specialized. I found Racktimes website really helpful because they have schematics with all the measurements available.
Your setup looks good. Which RackTime Rack is that? Is it the Boostit with their hardware and a longer bolt on the standard seatpost collar? Agree, the RackTime site is very good for comparisons and schematics. I wanted the IMM mudguard to work more for the look and function wiithout a seatpost collar attachment, but even with a taller rack the clearance on that stay bridge mount is too close. Not sure it will work on my wife’s small Turbo Vado SL since the seat post collar will also be lower and a taller rack in back may be an issue for her dismounting. Also, I put a elastomer shock seat post on her bike which may limit mounting higher on the seatpost. I still have the Shine Evo since the company I got it from didn’t want it back even after fully refunding…. Maybe with the right hardware….? The ShineEvo would be a nice compact lower profile rack if I can figure it out,

I got the Light It 2.0 and it came with everything except the seat collar. When I researched it, there was quite a few racks that had specs that looked like they would work. But I wanted a smaller rack as I don't carry much. I used a Specialized Rear Rack Seat Collar (pic). I used the 29.8 with a rubber insert that was left over from a handlebar bell to make it snug. There are also collars that have the attachment threads offset (pic) if needed for proper fitment. I got the rack designated for the 29" wheel but I think there is enough space that maybe the 27" would work so it'd be lower for dismounting.

Attachments

• Rack Collar.jpg
    Rack Collar.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 123
  • Rack Collar II.jpg
    Rack Collar II.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 112
I got the Light It 2.0 and it came with everything except the seat collar. When I researched it, there was quite a few racks that had specs that looked like they would work. But I wanted a smaller rack as I don't carry much. I used a Specialized Rear Rack Seat Collar (pic). I used the 29.8 with a rubber insert that was left over from a handlebar bell to make it snug. There are also collars that have the attachment threads offset (pic) if needed for proper fitment. I got the rack designated for the 29" wheel but I think there is enough space that maybe the 27" would work so it'd be lower for dismounting.
So you can see what I’m dealing with using the ShineEvo 29” my wife‘s small Turbo Vado SL step thru. Here are some pics or the rack semi mounted without attaching up front to the seat post clamp or using the IMM mudguard it came with where there wasn’t enough clearance. There has to be a way to make this work on this small StepThru Turbo Vado SL with a seat post clamp mount if the rack attachments straddle the tire or are mounted on top of the rack cross tube. Or maybe a thinner centered flat strap than the IMM attached on top of the rack cross tube and using the screw hole and flathead screw in the existing seat stay bridge hole. This ShineEvo rack is lower than some of the other taller RackTime racks which is why I wanted to try it for my petit wife’s bike and mounts fine on the dropout holes. If you have any ideas, much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_6260.jpeg
    IMG_6260.jpeg
    475.6 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_6261.jpeg
    IMG_6261.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 131
All the lugs that Spesh provided on the latest Vado SL but Spesh STILL made it a complete P in the A to simply install a rack.

Watching this thread. I too am looking for the cleanest possible rear rack install for a non EQ bike.

Ah, I didn't realize the step-thru used a regular seat collar. The rack looks wide enough that, perhaps, you could use the Racktime angled mounting bars and a seat collar, either replacing the existing one, if sizing available, or placing one on top of the existing one. The angled bars would provide clearance around the tires. I guess the only concern could possibly be the seat suspension articulating into the bars. How much does it actually travel? The spacing between the round section of the straight bars mounted on my seat collar is 1.2". The angled ones would flair out quickly from there. LMK

Attachments

• Mount Offset Bars.jpg
    Mount Offset Bars.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Mounting Bar Kit.jpg
    Mounting Bar Kit.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
All the lugs that Spesh provided on the latest Vado SL but Spesh STILL made it a complete P in the A to simply install a rack.

Watching this thread. I too am looking for the cleanest possible rear rack install for a non EQ bike.
I didn't find it too difficult, more like challenging. For me, it was learning about the different types of attachments such as MIK, Rack It, etc. and what my carrying requirements such as bags, panniers, etc., would be. I've never had a bike with a rack before, so it's been a learning curve.

Ah, I didn't realize the step-thru used a regular seat collar. The rack looks wide enough that, perhaps, you could use the Racktime angled mounting bars and a seat collar, either replacing the existing one, if sizing available, or placing one on top of the existing one. The angled bars would provide clearance around the tires. I guess the only concern could possibly be the seat suspension articulating into the bars. How much does it actually travel? The spacing between the round section of the straight bars mounted on my seat collar is 1.2". The angled ones would flair out quickly from there. LMK
That Cane Creek thud buster seat post doesn’t articulate much so I don’t think that will be an issue. I’m mostly not clear on how to attach the mounting bars (or tubes) to the rack? If I had gotten the non IMM version and angled mount tubes. I have just been looking for RackTime mounting hardware separately and haven't found it yet. I’d like a clean way to do it of course. I will look at their website and schematic detail stuff a bit more. I have also thought about drill tapping into the thick cross piece on the rack to mount some the hardware…🤔

This ShineEvo turned out to be free because the IMM mudguard piece was wrong size (for 26”) it seems and some hardware was missing. Someone else had probably returned it and the company didn’t want it back even though they refunded.

I didn't find it too difficult, more like challenging. For me, it was learning about the different types of attachments such as MIK, Rack It, etc. and what my carrying requirements such as bags, panniers, etc., would be. I've never had a bike with a rack before, so it's been a learning curve.
In my previous experiences with racks even when eyelet are available its always been a bit of trial and error, especially on smaller bikes.

Yeah, it seems like the mounting bars and hardware are out of stock everywhere. I was hoping you had a source. I wonder if Racktime has an ETA on these parts availability if you emailed them? I betcha the non IMM version comes with straight tubes and you'd still be looking for angled tubes.
What about using hose clamps (pic) around the rack tube, then using aluminum tubing that you could cut to length; flatten the ends in a vise & drill them for mounting holes? You could even rattle-can them black. That'd work until you could get a more elegant setup once the Racktime parts become available.

Attachments

• Clamp.jpg
    Clamp.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Yep. I was actually thinking about something like this. Used these clamps in the past a bit for mounting fenders on a bike I used to commute on in Seattle. If I do use those clamps I may just use the old standby stainless Topeak rack straps like others have but I’d maybe black paint or rubber dip them. I’m still wondering if some suitable stainless stainless strap clamped on to the rack like that could be used to bend around the tire like that mudguard and flat head screwed into that metric threaded seat stay bridge. It might be too flexy? But the wife really just wants the rack for carrying a jacket. And there is no room on her saddle for a tool and tube bag with that behemoth Thudbuster seatpost she loves. So I will probably put that on the rack... Fitting stuff on this tiny step thru bike is a PITA. And Geez, I have a bunch of old rack mounting parts and some of those clamps back at the winter place down south not up here in New England.🤦🏻‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_2020.jpeg
    IMG_2020.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 72
Yeah, it seems like the mounting bars and hardware are out of stock everywhere. I was hoping you had a source. I wonder if Racktime has an ETA on these parts availability if you emailed them? I betcha the non IMM version comes with straight tubes and you'd still be looking for angled tubes.
What about using hose clamps (pic) around the rack tube, then using aluminum tubing that you could cut to length; flatten the ends in a vise & drill them for mounting holes? You could even rattle-can them black. That'd work until you could get a more elegant setup once the Racktime parts become available.
Finito for now. Nothing novel or different on mounting using the Topeak SS straps cut to size with hose clamps and the M-Wave seat collar, but it looks OK and seems solid. I do like the lower profile RackTime ShineEvo rack on this small size bike but its not as narrow. Seems to be enough clearance for 42 tires if we do that. Not using the built in light on the rack. Now we have to see if the wife is OK on the dismount. 🤞🏼 Will probably try that Bontrager rack cited above on her other Turbo Vado SL down south if its not too tall. Trying to find measurements on that. Thanks for the discussion.

Attachments

• IMG_6296.jpeg
    IMG_6296.jpeg
    639.7 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_6297.jpeg
    IMG_6297.jpeg
    472.7 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_6298.jpeg
    IMG_6298.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
I went with Specialzed S-Works 2Bliss Pathfinders 700x42, front and rear. I got the S-Works only because there were not any Pro's available at the time. I had a new rear wheel built with a DT Swiss 531 Gravel Rim, with 32 spokes and Shimano XT Microspline Hub. I did this so I could go with a Shimano XT 10-51 cassette and have a more robust wheel as I'm a.... ahem, Clydesdale. The front wheel is still stock.
So far, I'm very happy with the upgrade. Where I ride in the Sierra foothills, I'd guess that 80% of my riding is hills, some quite steep. Going from 42T to having available 45T & 51T has made a big difference for me. That plus the bigger tires made my bike fit my weight and fitness level.

I went with Specialzed S-Works 2Bliss Pathfinders 700x42, front and rear. I got the S-Works only because there were not any Pro's available at the time. I had a new rear wheel built with a DT Swiss 531 Gravel Rim, with 32 spokes and Shimano XT Microspline Hub. I did this so I could go with a Shimano XT 10-51 cassette and have a more robust wheel as I'm a.... ahem, Clydesdale. The front wheel is still stock.
So far, I'm very happy with the upgrade. Where I ride in the Sierra foothills, I'd guess that 80% of my riding is hills, some quite steep. Going from 42T to having available 45T & 51T has made a big difference for me. That plus the bigger tires made my bike fit my weight and fitness level.
Nice. That’s an awesome area to ride. I want to get my wife more comfortable on gravel and may try softer 42s for her and it looked like they fit well on your bike. Where we live summers in New England there are so many more gravel and fire road options than safe road options. But alas, she psyches herself out on even very short brief downhills on gravel and hits the brakes which makes it worse, so a tire change may not make a difference. But I will try anything…

Back