Anybody's torque sensor acting more like a cadence system?

LeisurelySteppin

I got my Leisure early October. There were a few minor issues that needed addressing, but thank goodness we didn't have any failures that would stop the ebike from functioning.

I got the upgrade which was suppose to give me the torque sensor instead of the cadence system. My question is, for anyone else who has the torque sensor upgrade, is your bike pretty jumpy when it comes to the pedal assist option? (Almost as if, your bike has a cadence sensor instead of a torque sensor)

My understanding between the two systems:

Cadence = Sensor + Magnets, when magnets run past sensor, this will engage the pedal assist.

Torque = Sensor is based on torque feedback, and will give more power when needed based on pedaling.

My ebike definitely feels more likes its on the Cadence Sensor. When I'm at a complete stop, when I even begin to pedal slightly, my bike will fully engage at the pedal assist level. Is this normal by design? Sorry, this isn't a big issue, it's just something I was curious if anyone had an answer to.

JL

Regarding the cadence mode, the controller and it's setting can make or break a cadence system. Good controllers are able to be set with a "sensitivity" setting, which basically counts the number of magnets that pass the sensor prior to activating or shutting down the power. In it's most sensitive setting, that number of magnets is going to be ONE! Depending on where the magnet ring is in it's rotation, the power could be turned on if the pedal moves forward an inch. This vs. other settings and/or controllers, where the crank may have to turn one or 2 revolutions prior to the power being turned on. Same thing, only in reverse when shutting down the power. The bike may travel several feet under power with the pedals stopped completely.

Torque sensing is supposed to measure the pressure placed on the pedals. The harder you push on the pedal, the more power is given to the motor. This may be able to be seen if there is a watt meter on the display. This can be a little dicey for those not used to it (speaking for myself) with false starts (!). As you are mounting your bike and the weight of your foot/leg is placed on a pedal - the controller may think you're telling it to go! A bike like this MUST be mounted with one hand on the brake, with the power shut off, or with PAS level set to 0. That or you had better be anticipating the bike taking off unexpectedly. That's only going to happen a couple of times before you remember to do something to prevent that potential. Same reason a dog only burns it's nose once.....

The difference between the cadence sensor system and the torque sensor system (which one you have) is generally easiest to see when looking for a cadence sensor mounted on either side of the crank. -Al

My Leisure was suppose to come with a torque sensor due to my upgrade. I think I ended up getting one with the Cadence Sensor. As I'm looking more into the differences between the two, that's what I'm noticing. Anyone else with the Leisure model experiencing this?

Your bike is the one that matters. Why don't you look in the crank area and see if you can spot a cadence sensor? Or take a couple pics of that area and post it here to see if we can spot one.

The "torque sensor" on the Rize Leisure is one of the flat plate type mounted on the rear wheel frame. When pressure is put on the chain, the plate is tensioned and a sensor then applies the power to the motor. My opinion only but, this is really more like a switch that actuates under pressure rather than actually sensing torque, like a torque sensor on the actual crank.

Mine will switch on when I begin to actually pedal. But, IMO, it does not sense the difference in torque applied to the pedals between riding on a flat surface and what would be applied while riding up a hill.

I had a 2020 City with the cadence sensor. Bought a 2022 City a month ago with the torque sensor and hub motor. I was expecting the pedal experience to be like a torque sensor and mid drive, but was disappointed to find it is more like a hybrid of cadence and torque sensor. I wonder if the rear placed chain tension sensor is causing the different experience. Is this normal? It is hard to interpret the answers above as to whether or not what I experience is normal. To be more clear: if I lean on the pedal the power does not instantly move the bike, and when I start to pedal the power will begin but similar to the cadence PAS setting - in other words the same way it came on in the previous cadence sensor City which acted like a "cruise control" with one speed per PAS. But with the new bike, if I slow my pedaling, the motor will seem to get less power (a torque sensing characteristic) and it now slows to a less than "cruise control" PAS speed. If I put muscle into the pedaling the speed will go above the PAS setting, but not much. This is similar to the cadence sensor effect I had on previous bike. The only advantage I see with the new bike is not being limited to the "cruise control" speed and being able to go slower per PAS. Juiced Bikes also use the rear mounted torque sensor and I wonder if their bikes behave in this same way. Do others with the torque sensor/hub motor combination experience pedaling the same way as I have tried to explain it?

Back