Anybody Ride a Specialized Turbo Tero Yet?

I mean, I considered a lot of bikes, but my primary concern was range. I wanted something I could go 60+ miles and climb 4k vertical feet with on a charge. I don't think there's a lot of bikes out there, certainly not the Vado SL, that could safely pull that off (even with the range extender).

I don't think there's a lot of bikes out there, certainly not the Vado SL, that could safely pull that off (even with the range extender).
You certainly are a fit person, and could make a Metric Century (62 miles) on the 710 Wh battery easily. Am not sure about the ft 4k on the same ride though. We must be different people in the terms of health/fitness. My 78 mile +5100 ft ride ate as much as 981 Wh from my batteries. My average assistance level was 50/50% on that ride.

A 168 km (104 mi) ride with 1930 ft elevation gain cost me 1061 Wh at assistance of 40/40%.

Now, I own as many as 3 Range Extenders for my Vado SL. I could probably make a Double Metric Century on them because the SL uses twice less energy on average than the big Vado does. But I would not ride with my SL in the mountains :)

20% assist is the key. I haven't done one of those long ones yet (I'm waiting on the weather to improve a bit), but I'm pretty confident it'll do the job. On my spreadsheet I referenced, the rides where I leave it at 20% I extrapolate mid-70s in terms of total mile range, and that's based on 10-15 mile rides with ~1,200 feet of elevation gain. Granted, there's a lot of assumptions about linear battery usage, but I've also got room to drop the assist down to 10% on the flats and eek out just a little extra range.

If anyone else is curious, the main competition before I sprang for this bike was the Giant Revolt e+. Most of what I do is gravel, so that aspect of it would have been fine. I do prefer drop bars over flats, and it does have a range extender to boost it's 500kwh battery. But there were three main factors for why I didn't go that route. 1), I've already got a road bike and it made more sense for me to go a bit more mountainy with this one, so there was less overlap, 2), the battery extender would take out a mounting point on the rides when the mounting points are most valuable (long rides), and 3), I couldn't friggin' find one in my size anyway (XL).

I think it's a nice looking bike, though, and in another universe I'm probably having a blast with it. But in this universe I've got no regrets.

I’m liking your Multiverse theory! So therefore I have not only my ToughRoad and Civante, but a Creo, a Domane HP, a Topstone AND A Grail:ON… no wonder I’m exhausted all the time.

Interesting about the motor power. I have the Tero 4.0 & find the power is spot on. Maybe the 5.0 is more setup for touring with luggage?

I must be lucky with Mision control (MC) as it works perfectly. When I first got bike I logged ride on Watch to as not certain MC would be reliable. MC & bike updated by shop & my iPhone (12 pro) is also updated, so maybe this helps.

I have a set of Hunt enduro wide wheels & some Maxxis Recon 2.6s coming today. As the Spez 2.6s fitted I’m pretty certain these will. Was worried about 2.6 tires on standard 25mm rims. Hunts are 30mm. I ride in the Surrey hills & some of the trails are very rooty, to much for the standard size 2.35, 80kg rider & 25kg bike. 2.6 are a big improvement, just hoping they are same physical size as the Spez tires & fit!

I’m a cycle mechanic so can mess around with swapping parts easily. Was also handy that a customer came in yesterday desperate for some wheels so sold him the ones of my Tero. They are good wheels, with serviceable free hub & sealed cartridge bearings. They took everything I threw at them including trying 22psi as tubeless & still ran true.

I’m now looking replacing the forks 🤔🧐

So the Hunt Enduro Wide wheelset arrived and they have been fitted with the Maxxis Recon 2.6 tires and at the closest point to frame there is 7mm gap. Was told in email from Specialized that I needed a minimum of a 5 to 6mm gap so I’m happy with this.

Rims are 31mm rear & 33mm front. This is supposed to be optimum for grip & cornering with 2.35 to 2.6 tires. Hoping to get out Thursday to test it out.

They are setup as tubeless but I am yet to add the sealant, leaving overnight to see how well sealed they are without sealant.

@coffmandave:
I must admit I can understand your dilemmas quite well. I was myself torn between buying a Vado SL 4.0 or 5.0. The price difference was well over a grand (in U.S. money). The motor and battery were identical; the price difference was because of the componentry. If I wanted to buy the 4.0 and upgrade it to 5.0, I would have spent far more than by just buying the 5.0. However, I went another way: I spent the price difference for a Range Extender and numerous mods to make the SL 4.0 "a bike of my dreams". Still, I congratulate anybody who took the plunge and bought the SL 5.0.

Regarding the motor, I'm probably spoilt by my 1.2s (that is almost as powerful as your 2.2). However, I also used to own a Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro with a Yamaha motor almost as powerful as my Spec 1.2s:
  • Max Power 520 W for both motors
  • Boost Factor: Spec 3.2x, Giant 3.6x
  • Max torque: Spec 90 Nm, Giant 80 Nm
  • Lowest gearing (by original specification): Spec 48-46T (11s), Giant 38-50T (12s).
It was a time I tried riding off-road in mountains (as the full-suspension Giant excelled in that). There were numerous occasions on which I had to make dramatic climbs on rocky singletrack or unusually steep roads: I never regretted having a powerful motor in my Giant. And I think Tero is made for such purposes more than for riding roads.

1649226363728.png

A Summer 2021 story:
We set off for a mountain ride with my brother: he rode the Giant e-MTB I mentioned, and I rode my Vado 5.0 (38-46T lowest gearing). There, we decided to take a wild rocky trail along the Czech-Polish border. My brother was at the top of the hill in no time: He could wait for me to take the pictures! I even don't want to think what would I do had I a less powerful motor on my Vado!

1649226808854.png

On another (solo) trip, I climbed a 19% grade hiking trail to cross the "green border" with Slovakia. Later, I also climbed a 19% grade road to the regular border crossing.

If I only had a Tero 5.0 on my mountain trips!

I think the steepest climb I've had on my rides thus far is 12% grade for half a mile, so quite a ways off from worrying about 19% grades. Who knows what else is out there, though, I've got 100,000 acres of trails and logging roads in my backyard and I've only started scratching the surface.

Random question I totally forgot about. For anyone using the TCD, does "Auto-Start" work for you at all? Where it will automatically start logging when you ride? Because it never does for me. I've given up on the feature entirely and just manually start. Not sure if that's a me problem, a Pixel problem, an Android problem, or a bike problem.

Hi I've just joined and read this thread as I was considering a Turbo Tero. Looking to buy my first ebike for offroad (nothing major like jumps or very hard trails), having hired them for a few years now and then. When hiring I didn't get much choice and found pros and cons. Hired a Turbo Levo twice, which was great but out of my price range a bit. I've also ridden a Trek Powerfly 5 which was ok but not something I'd want to buy.

I keep looking at the Turbo Tero's as something a step down from the Turbo Levo and possibly also for short road trips locally. It's been great reading the enthusiasm on here, but I have the odd question. One thing that appeals is the step through version - easier to get on and off (I'm 63 and have two gammy knees and better on a bike than on foot!) I was looking at the Tero 4 stepthrough for the greater power, but I believe that only comes in the fully equipped version. Only the 3 comes as a non equipped step through version. It's very hilly here so I'd prefer the greater power. Anyway there's the weight issue possibly with the 4 step through. Maybe step through isn't essential.

My questions are really about how comfortable and stable it is, as a hardtail, on rocky trails or paths with tree roots. The Powerfly 5 was bad for that and a bit of a bone shaker. The Turbo levo was of course divine on all surfaces IMO.

The bike sounds great to ride, well designed and powerful, but is the hardtail a hard ride? And if so would changing tyres improve that aspect?

It is not cheap - and I'd also been looking at the Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro 625 which sounds a similar kind of bike (maybe I'm wrong) but also a hardtail. Or even looking at full suspension as the Tero is quite expensive in comparison - but I keep being tempted by it.

So for those who have one and been riding it - I can see people saying it's great on all types of surfaces including rocky ones, but is it ok at the back end on rocky surfaces? Obviously not going to be as cushioned as full suspension, but it's also simpler (considering I know nothing about maintenance) and more suitable for road use possibly.

They are very stable to ride off road and I believe the weight helps here.

With regards to getting on & off the dropper post helps here.

I ride technical XC trails in the Surrey Hills and found the 2.35 tires were a bit thin and so lacking air volume & grip in the wet. I changed to 2.6 so could run lower pressures so more comfortable & with more traction.

You're in the UK...

Right, the 4.0 ST only comes as the EQ version in your country. Let me tell you something. Avoid the 3.0 if you can. The suspension fork for the 3.0 is -- IMHO -- a joke. Heavy and not absorbing shock well. Just a cheap Suntour fork. You will certainly need greater motor power as well, hence the 4.0. However, the high-step version of Tero is just... high. If you could demo ride the 4.0... or just mount it in the store! (Tough luck...) OTOH, the EQ version is just 200 quids more expensive. Don't you like the looks of the EQ?

Regarding the ride comfort: I didn't complain on the stock tyres on my test ride, especially as it is always possible to ride at lower inflation pressure. @Surrey Tero says he chose wider tyres. That would not be possible for the EQ I guess.

Decisions, decisions...

Wider tires would help a little but I suspect you'd find the ride feels pretty similar to the Trek Powerfly 5 and there's probably not much you can do to significantly improve that. Both bikes have similar weights, tire widths, and of course neither has rear suspension. About the only thing you could really do (beyond the wider tires, which probably won't be a HUGE improvement) is ditch the dropper post and put in a suspension post.

Thanks all, that is really helpful. Yes I wasn't keen on the Tero 3 for that reason. I guess the solution would be spend the extra £200 on the 4EQ and remove the EQ! And fit bigger tyres. Expensive kind of option. I thought maybe the Tero would be a bit more refined than the Powerfly 5 but maybe it's just tyres. How easy would it be to remove the mudguards etc and assume that would mean removing the rear rack but could I leave the lights?

Ah ok. Regardless of being able to fit wider tyres, my issue with the EQ is the extra weight - it comes out at 26 or 27kg doesn't it? Most full suspension mtbs' are only about 23kg. Although probably cost more. Annoying they don't do the step through option in all three versions with or without EQ.

Anyway they don't. But the dropper post will help if not a step through. Would have been nice to have the step through though. My only comparison so far has been between the Levo Turbo and Powerfly 5 - on similar type rocky trails. And the levo was very comfortable - but - it was the step through and road riding that made me think of the Tero. And the cost of the Levo.

Wider tires would help a little but I suspect you'd find the ride feels pretty similar to the Trek Powerfly 5 and there's probably not much you can do to significantly improve that.
With a hard tail you kinda need to have your butt off the seat slightly when hitting that sorta stuff with the rear wheel.

(don't have either, but have had a hardtail front-suspension hybrid a few years that I play around with on mild singletrack & gravel - learned to lift off a little when encountering stuff like that)

Thanks. Yes that's what I did with the Powerfly 5 and that was ok. It was more the bike rattling and some instability on rockier gravel that was the issue.

Or how about upgrading the fork on the Tero 3? But then still less powerful.
And has a smallish battery. That explains the cost difference very well. (You wouldn't like to know what the bigger battery costs).

I'm a Specialized fan. I dislike Bosch E-bikes. Now, let me play the role of the devil's advocate...

I used to own a Trance E+ and the Stance/Embolden is a good alternative to Specialized. The Yamaha motor is good, and the 625 Wh battery is adequate. Look at the specs :)

Back