Any way to remove pedal assist? + pedal moves forward with bike

i stuck a flat head where the censor is and pulled it outwards the most i could like 1/3 a cm where i think the magnet connects to the peddle sensor to disable it..

The magnets are on a spinning wheel contained within your PAS sensor,..

Screenshot_20240119-122119_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20240119-122449_DuckDuckGo.jpg

The angled rubber teeth or pawls, rub around the axle shaft.
When you pedal forward, the teeth grab the axle and the wheel with the magnets spins inside the mechanism.
When you pedal backwards, the rubber teeth slip and the magnetic wheel doesn't spin.

You would need to pull the PAS sensor out far enough that the rubber teeth no longer contact the axle, and that most likely didn't happen with moving it a ⅓ of a cm.

Just cut the wire if it keeps powering up on you.

Removing the chain is WAY more extreme than cutting the wire.
If you're convinced that you Do Not need the PAS sensor, then just cut the wire.

Besides,.. you gotta do what you gotta do when the Zombie Apocalypse happens. 😂

Last edited:
If you decide to cut the wire, cut away the casing to expose the three wires, and cut each wire at different lengths so the cut ends can't touch each other, then seal up the wires.

If you don't have shrink tube with glue, just cover the wires with glue or silicone, let it dry, then tape it up.

20240119_125228.jpg
20240119_125316.jpg
20240119_125459.jpg
20240119_125557.jpg

Removing the chain is WAY more extreme
Removing the chain is also unlawful in most places. That renders it 'no longer a bicycle,' so it cannot use bike lanes, bike paths, trails, or go on sidewalks or roads. You could only use it on a private ranch.

By #3 'operable pedals' the law means that the bike can be operated under pedal power. If it can't, it is not a bike.
Overview of EBike Laws in Canada
  • Motor output: The motor output of an ebike must not exceed 500 watts. ...
  • Maximum speed: The maximum speed of an ebike is limited to 32 km/h (20 mph). ...
  • Pedals: Ebikes must have fully operable pedals. ...
  • Age restriction: Riders of ebikes must be 16 years of age or older.

Throttles are legal in Ontario so it's not uncommon to see and ebike going 32 kph with the rider not pedaling.
No one is going to notice a missing chain.

He's not speeding or overpowered and his ebike is safe.
He's just doing his job.

@inoob Keep the chain with you just in case.
You can prove that you can pedal the bike if need be.

And don't remove your pedals.
(You gotta put your feet somewhere anyway. Dangling them out in space gets tiring. 😂)

Screenshot_20240119-150405_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:
been doing it all this time but sometimes i forget as i turn it on and off all the time going in and out of places for deliveries.. this would easily be solved if they programmed it to be set to 0 instead of 1 when u turn it on.
Agree 100 percent with this. I have heard of lots of folks accidentally having the bike take off after power up when it is in PAS 1 and they accidentally move the pedals. A real safety issue IMHO.

I will say that replacing the freewheel is not that difficult and may be preferable to butchering the bike; However, I do understand the OP's position, and that he just wants to do his job safely.

Agree 100 percent with this. I have heard of lots of folks accidentally having the bike take off after power up when it is in PAS 1 and they accidentally move the pedals. A real safety issue IMHO.

I will say that replacing the freewheel is not that difficult and may be preferable to butchering the bike; However, I do understand the OP's position, and that he just wants to do his job safely.
thats why they have the bake cutoff because the throttle can do that. you can lightly squeeze the brake lever to cut off the motor.
but I had my trek lurch a few times when I hit the pedal before but it stops instantly too.

I guess nobody has a KT controller here. You can decide what pedal assist mode to start up in. Either the prior mode at shutoff, or 0 thru 5. I have all of mine set to 1 as that's only like 80w, plus I have it set to slow-start so no lurching no matter what.

I guess nobody has a KT controller here. You can decide what pedal assist mode to start up in. Either the prior mode at shutoff, or 0 thru 5. I have all of mine set to 1 as that's only like 80w, plus I have it set to slow-start so no lurching no matter what.
You are using the KT with the Das-kit? Which model and did you need to get a new display? Does it all work well?

No sorry I build my own and use KT controllers (which also require a display made by the same manufacturer) when doing a hub motor.

What little I have seen of DAS-kit motors appears to show the motor plug is compatible with the 25a KT controllers but beyond that you'd have to take the plunge and just build it out and see what happens.

Back