Any upgrades to Stromer ST1?

I do like the Ergons but can't really compare them to stock since I installed the Ergons as soon as I got my ST1.

I have the Ergon GS2 grips, and I think they are a nice upgrade. Unfortunately, I purchased the white version to match my white ST1, and they are showing signs of getting dirty.

Also, the lock on my battery door fell apart. My ST1 is currently in the shop being repaired. *sigh*

My ST1 came with the city kit. it's nice but I'm wondering how heavy? The bike is almost literally tank like with it on. I like the looks without it a lot more. Thinking about taking the rack (won't use) and fenders off , relocating the taillight (?) and put plastic fenders on. But only if it's going to save some real weight. ???

The bike is already over 60lbs.
+/- 1 or 2 lbs won't make any difference.

Almost all E bikes are over 50lbs. 1 or 2 wouldn't be worth it. 3 or 4 would. That's why i ask the unanswered question. ;)
Rhetoric isn't an answer to a concrete question.

No worries, I'm taking mine off so I'll see myself what it weighs.

Last edited:
The city kit is remarkably light. I didn't notice a difference adding it. Storing my lock and cable in the trunk bag mounted to the city kit is another story...

Take a look at the Ibera RA5 rack ( and RakPak bags )

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

It is rated for 55 lbs vs the City Kit rack's 22 lbs ..

It will require bending of its front support rods and making a tapped aluminum block insert
to replace part of the stock ABS plastic one, but worth the effort : it is Strong !

And, Ibera makes several snapon-off bags of very high quality.

Alex

Last edited:
The city kit is remarkably light. I didn't notice a difference adding it. Storing my lock and cable in the trunk bag mounted to the city kit is another story...

Yep, took the front off and its very light for how thick it is. Surprisingly light. But still leaving it off as it makes a bit of noise and I don't love the look of the bike with the kit on. I'll leave the rack and rear on till I figure out where to locate the tailight. Probably do a clamp on rear fender and no front.

Anyone install a Nova E3 headlight (without the City Kit)? Can you just plug it into the connector in the battery compartment (or splice)? Thanks!

Take a look at the Ibera RA5 rack ( and RakPak bags )

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

It is rated for 55 lbs vs the City Kit rack's 22 lbs ..

It will require bending of its front support rods and making a tapped aluminum block insert
to replace part of the stock ABS plastic one, but worth the effort : it is Strong !

And, Ibera makes several snapon-off bags of very high quality.

Alex
I took your advice and ordered the Ibera RA5 rack and a pair of extension support rods. I am little confused--will it come with an ABS plastic mounting block to attach to the frame--and if so, is it any good? Or, will I have to do what it sounds like you did--have a tapped aluminum block insert made? Do you have photos by any chance that you could share? Thanks in advance.

Back