Any Trekkers have their battery lock cease to function?

Dallant

Region
USA
I know there are some folks who’ve had their batteries fall out but I’m curious if anyone has had their battery lock refuse to unlock, making it impossible to remove your battery?

Last edited:
This seems more like a lock issue than a Trek issue, so I'll take a stab at this. First, are you sure you're using the right key? (Duh.) If so, maybe you can gently jiggle the key back and forth enough to eventually get the pins to line up and let the key turn. That might take a minute or a half an hour, or it may never work. It would be best if you could get the battery off, in order to solve the problem, but is the bike still under warranty? Check with the dealer or seller anyway to see what kind of advice they have.

If it comes to it, you can probably drill the lock out, but as long as you can charge the battery on the bike, you may just have to put up with it.

TT

It’s barely a month old so it’s under a Trek warranty. It’s a Trek bicycle so it’s a Trek problem. I used the two correct keys. The local shop guy used my two correct keys and couldn’t get it open. The local shop will be the one who removes the battery or drills it out, not me.
I took the battery out numerous times (as directed in the manual) when transporting the bike with my new hitch rack. It worked perfectly until suddenly it didn’t.

FYI...took the Allant to a locksmith who basically looked at it and said that he thought the key is working but the latch seems stuck, so something may have broken internally.
BTW, “you may just have to put up with it” is a totally unacceptable response to this problem. Trek tells us to remove the battery when the bike is transported and that’s impossible as it is now.
My opinion is that Trek will fix this or Trek will provide me a new Allant+7 ebike.

Local Trek shop guy fixed it!👍
He got the battery out (somehow) w/o any damage. He said there was no lock damage and he adjusted several parameters related to the closing/locking of the battery. Works just as before and maybe even better.
Very pleased especially with how quickly it was done with no damage!

Taking it back to your dealer is such an obvious choice for a new bike I assumed your bike must have been out of warranty. Why would you even ask for any other ideas?

TT

Huh??
I said it is still under warranty. I simply asked if anyone else was having the same problem. I didn't ask for any other ideas here. The local Trek guy couldn’t open the battery compartment with the keys last Friday. He asked me to bring it in today (Monday) to spend more time with it, so I did and he fixed it. I did stop off at a locksmith on the way to the Trek shop to see what he thought.

I’ll keep this thread in mind when I take my bike in for a new hub...at least 2 friends have tried my non working lock to no avail

My Trek guy wouldn’t tell me how he got it open though I have my suspicions. Probably to keep battery security intact!
In this case, everyone thought the keys were working but the latch was not. I believe he got some answers from Trek about getting the battery out and adjusting tolerances to make it work correctly.

Huh??
I said it is still under warranty. I simply asked if anyone else was having the same problem. I didn't ask for any other ideas here.
You did. But when?

Glad my advice worked for you anyway.... " Check with the dealer or seller anyway to see what kind of advice they have."

TT

I had to lube the one on my Bosch as it would stick really bad. but my second bike no lube needed at all. is it abus lock on it?

I have a Trek Powerfly 2019, and I am now having the same problem. I have to put the key in multiple times, and turn the key multiple times, before the battery will unlock from the frame.
I guess I'll have to take the bike to the shop - but what an annoyance.
My door lock works for 30 years; why can't ABUS make their bike locks last just as long?

I have a Trek Powerfly 2019, and I am now having the same problem. I have to put the key in multiple times, and turn the key multiple times, before the battery will unlock from the frame.
I guess I'll have to take the bike to the shop - but what an annoyance.
My door lock works for 30 years; why can't ABUS make their bike locks last just as long?
spray it with some triflow or such, abus locks tend to need lubing.

Thanks for your suggestion.
I tried muc-off wet chain lube - didn't help.
Maybe I'll try again - but a bit more.
Do you think triflow should work better than chain lube?
did you take the battery off and lube it from that direction? that's where it makes the biggest difference. I dont know I just use it because its in a spray can and really gets in there. all my abus looks need lube bike and battery all benefit from lube.

did you take the battery off and lube it from that direction? that's where it makes the biggest difference. I dont know I just use it because its in a spray can and really gets in there. all my abus looks need lube bike and battery all benefit from lube.
No I haven't. That's a great suggestion! Thanks!! I am going to try triflow spray can on the inside.

Back