Any red flags?

that bike is going to be a pretty weak MTB, it has zero suspension! i mean if you must have carbon fiber there is the Luna X-1
although it does not have an Ultra,
if your not worried about Carbon Fiber you could get a Biktrix Ultra Pro for that friggin price, a bike from an established company,with warranty and solid fast customer service

Agreed, but where they choose to cut corners in order to to keep the price down is sometimes questionable. For example on the Explore 2 and the Liv Amiti the control pads could be better and do not like rain. Some of the stock tires are junk. On the other hand the lights are very good and the grips and pedals are more than acceptable which is not always the case even on high priced bikes.
Yeah agreed. I don't get why companies will make a $3000 bike and then cut corners to save $200 or less on the retail scene .

I don't get why companies will make a $3000 bike and then cut corners to save $200 or less on the retail scene .
Aside from the highest end bikes, all companies have to make choices in specification. They are not trying to cut corners per se, but trying to hit a price point at which they think is right for the market.

Of course that does not excuse a poorly weather sealed button pad.

Aside from the highest end bikes, all companies have to make choices in specification. They are not trying to cut corners per se, but trying to hit a price point at which they think is right for the market.

Of course that does not excuse a poorly weather sealed button pad.
The Crosscut tires are a good example of corner cutting.

TL;DR I'm on $3500 budget shopping for a fairly capiable e-mtb. Found a company called Nireeka, Seems kinda sketch. Any thoughts? Other options that I could go with?

Hullo,

I've been shopping around for an ebike for around or under $3500, that provides a large battery, powerful motor, ect. ect. What I came up with that fit approximately what I wanted was the Nireeka Prime- A supposed spec monster. I was elated at first, but now that I look into it, It doesn't seem that legitimate. So, I wanted to ask if anybody Has experience with their bikes, and what you guys here think of it.

Does anybody have any thoughts on these observations? Would you still reccomend going with these bikes? Are there some other options out there that can compete?

Thanks.
Hmmm... for me, Bafang is a red flag alone. If you have a budget of $3500 you can get a Trek or Yamaha, etc. (or Van Moof if that is your style). If you are in Japan, you can get a decent Panasonic one too.

This is an older thread that seems to have gotten revived. I did extensive research on the Nireeka Homie-- scoured the web, found every review I possibly could-- and almost bought one! Tyson did a great review of the Homie, which you may have seen here-- and in the comments section, you can see why I went with a Motobecane instead.

Please let us know what your experience was. I am very happy with the Motobecane... I got it down to 46 pounds. And actually, I just flipped it a few weeks ago doing something incredibly stupid (going up an insanely steep hill at night that was way beyond my ability level.) If it had been an online-marketed CF bike? I never would have trusted the frame again. The Moto? I barely scratched the paint. It rode perfectly after the accident, and I took it down a hill at 40+ MPH right after I dumped it (and had inspected it carefully.) The reality is, I never dreamed I'd be doing 30+ mile rides in such primitive territory when I was considering the Homie.

The other thing that really put me off: The later customers who paid full price waited much longer for their bikes than the Indigogo customer who got in first. Service from Nireeka was VERY erratic--- some people were satisfied, others not so much.

My LBS told me he wouldn't service the Motobecane at first. But by the time I finally got the bike, and told him I'd actually bought it, reminded him how much work he'd done on my acoustic bikes? He grinned and told me, "Actually, we're Shimano dealers now. Bring it in whenever." (And he has done routine maintenance on it a few times.)

The designer for Nireeka seemed like a very talented guy-- the frame is probably all right. Put it this way: If I was going to take a chance on a more experimental bike, and buy it online, it would probably still be a Homie. Last I checked, Prime owners seemed pretty happy too-- except for one or two that had fairly serious QC problems, or service problems.

I wound up with the right bike for me. But let us know how it goes with Nireeka. I wish the company all the best, and admire what they're trying to do-- seems like a labor of love. Here's the link for the Homie review if you haven't read it already, as well as my whole decision making process. Some, but not all, of it might be relevant for the Prime.

Back