Any RadWagon owners hauling two kids?

SurfHawk

Hi, new here, been contemplating a cargo bike for about a year to haul my two kids (3 and 5) to school on. Gone back and forth on a RadWagon, a Madsen, or a no-name Chinese bakfiets.

In my research I haven't seen a whole lot of real world experience with people putting the caboose on and throwing a couple kids on the back. I'm wondering if any owners here do that. The rear rack is shorter than a full on longtail like Xtracycle or Yuba so I'm wondering if they'd fit, and if so until what age. The Madsen has a lower CG and can haul a lot, but isn't electric w/o an aftermarket setup.

Thanks

Hey SurfHawk! You just found yourself a real world example of the usage you describe. I've had my radwagon for 1 year and I use to haul my 3 and 4.5 year old to and from daycare with a caboose mounted on the rear rack. They fit fine and I expect they will fit for quite a while. The only issue we have is that on rides beyond around 25 minutes they often start fighting... But that might just be my kids and not specific to the radwagon :) Let me know if you have other questions.

Thanks for the reply, glad to see people using this bike for kids. Of course the fighting will happen with mine also. I've seen people with two benches on bakfeits, but I'm sure even then the kids kick each other. Do they both sit on the rear deck and hold onto the caboose, or do you have a child seat for the younger one?

I carry them both in the rear deck with the caboose. I bought a yepp seat for the little one originally, but it turned out it is a little bit of a pain to install the adaptor in the wagon, so I ended up setting that in a different bike. They both ride fine in the caboose either together or individually and they seem to prefer it to the child seat anyway.

I also haul two kids. Aged 7 and 9. Combined 140 pounds and I am 180. No problems other than I have to tell them not to wiggle. They both sit on two of the Rad Pads and we have commuted over 1000 miles with this setup.

Awesome thanks for the reply. Mine are 3 and 5, so sounds like I could still get a couple years of use out of this.

Were you an experienced cyclist before this? I'm hoping to still get a bit of a workout in like I would with my regular bike, but with the ability to carry kids too.

I was not experienced when I got the wagon. But it spawned something in me. I've purchased three bikes since and I am now an avid road cyclist. I will be riding my third century in June and 4th in July. I average about 125 miles a week now (not counting Rad Wagon time). Thanks to Rad I am now a new and healthier version of my old self.

I just bought a Radwagon to ride with my daughter that is 6. Do I need a caboose or will she be safe enough with handle bars to hold on to?

I would think she would be safe with the handlebars to hold on to, but every kid is different and you will need to adjust based on her level of comfort and security.

Hello, I too am thinking about buying a Cargo e bike. I'm torn between a RadWagon and Boda Boda? Did anybody debate between these two & Which one is better and why? I'm 5 '10' and expect to carry groceries, sometimes a 4 year old and travel to work each day about 16 miles a day. I also want to be able to get a good workout & can I ride this with the motor turned down or off so I get to use my own force? Do you suggest I buy it from a bike store or order it on line? Any information & tips would be much appreciated. Thank You so much.

Hi, new here, been contemplating a cargo bike for about a year to haul my two kids (3 and 5) to school on. Gone back and forth on a RadWagon, a Madsen, or a no-name Chinese bakfiets.

In my research I haven't seen a whole lot of real world experience with people putting the caboose on and throwing a couple kids on the back. I'm wondering if any owners here do that. The rear rack is shorter than a full on longtail like Xtracycle or Yuba so I'm wondering if they'd fit, and if so until what age. The Madsen has a lower CG and can haul a lot, but isn't electric w/o an aftermarket setup.

Thanks
Hello, wondering what you ended up buying? I too am in the market and I've narrowed it down to a RadWagon or a Yoda Yoda. I can't decide. What did you end up buying and why? Thanks for any info :)

We have a 2 and 3 year old child on Radwagon. We ordered 2 Thule Yepp Nexxt Maxi seats from Europe (much cheaper) and they work well. They are different than old Yepp seats, they attach directly on the rack without any adapter.
The biggest issue we have is no place for a bag. Backpack gets really close to the child's head and there is no place left on the side or back of the seats.

Radwagon2.jpg

We have a 2 and 3 year old child on Radwagon. We ordered 2 Thule Yepp Nexxt Maxi seats from Europe (much cheaper) and they work well. They are different than old Yepp seats, they attach directly on the rack without any adapter.
The biggest issue we have is no place for a bag. Backpack gets really close to the child's head and there is no place left on the side or back of the seats.

View attachment 19376
Nice to see folks doping this!. My suggestion as far as a bag..put one..or both of the running boards back on and by a hard case one. Like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...a-041b-544a-87d6-d9451ee55b2c&pf_rd_i=3403421

View attachment 19376
I am a new owner of a radwagon 2018 and I want to purchase Yepp maxi nexxt. I was wondering which version of the radwagon did you have, the 2017 or the 2018?

I am a new owner of a radwagon 2018 and I want to purchase Yepp maxi nexxt. I was wondering which version of the radwagon did you have, the 2017 or the 2018?
We have 2017. I think the rack should be the same dimension. I definitely recommend Yepp maxi nexxt vs. the old Yepp maxi. It doesn't need the adapter and the child sits few cm lower, so handling is a bit better.

We have 2017. I think the rack should be the same dimension. I definitely recommend Yepp maxi nexxt vs. the old Yepp maxi. It doesn't need the adapter and the child sits few cm lower, so handling is a bit better.
Thank you for your answer. I will buy the Nexxt version of the Yepp child seat and let you know if this is working.

I just buy 2 Yepp Nexxt today for my 2018 RadWagon, and they are just fine. We fixe them on the outside tubbing and sure, it will help if the tubbing was smaller, but the Yepp are well fixed and did not move at all. We try it for a small 10min ride with the two kids (2 and 4 years-old) and it was fine.
I will upload some pictures as soon as I can.
Also, for the 2017 RadWagon, the rear rack tubing is about 20mm, and according to Yepp company, the Nexxt could only fit to tubing from 11 to 16mm, but in my opinion, the extra 4 mm are not an issue. (I could not find the tubing diameter for the 2018 RadWagon, but it should be close to the 2017 version I guess).

Last edited:
So here are two picture of the fixation of the Yepp Maxi Nexxt on a 2018 RadWagon, you can see the two mounting clamp that pinch the bike frame from the outside (I had remove the bord but someome else install the Yepp Maxi Nexxt on a Spicy Yuba with the board on it and it work [http://redkiteprayer.com/2017/08/sit-still-the-thule-yepp-maxi/]):
20180512_111916.jpg

The second image of the fixation:
20180512_111856.jpg

And finally a picture of the 2 Yepp Maxi Nexxt on the RadWagon:

20180512_111928.jpg

I hope it will help you.

Last edited:
Looking at doing this next year with the two kids. Walk to school is only like 15 mins but I think this would be fun and then I can ride the bike to work another 7 or so miles (about 25 mins)
How big is the radwagon? Can it fit on a Bus bike rack (if the weather gets bad) Also I do not think I will get the child seats, thinking of just the caboose. One kid will be 7 1/2 and the other 4. Hows towing 2 kids working out for everyone?

Back