Any pictures of how you transport your favorite ride?

Giant Trance E+ and Specialized Vado 5.0 in a Renault station wagon. Cardboard and styrofoam are used to protect the bikes against rubbing. Front wheels need to be removed, of course.

1606052713509.png

Easy thing for me and not taking very much time.

When travelling with Toyota RAV4 of my brother, both e-bikes can be stood vertically, front wheels removed, the bike forks supported on blocks of styrofoam, and secured with bungee ropes.

1606053319703.png

A quarter after that photo had been taken, both bikes were securely tucked in the car. It was the farthest travel for cycling we both took ever.

Everyone's bikes look so clean and new :) Do you guys actually use them? :D
When I travel alone, I often return with my e-bike soiled :)

Sounds like its put on a few miles since then! Good stuff :D Liking the Treks, they seem to be well built, and the paintwork always looks good on them... an all round solid bike by the look of it. 👍:)
It’s only got <100 miles on it still.

What a great touring wagon. I've owned a couple of wagons in the past and so have a soft spot for them.

Then there is the Audi Etron. Not your typical family wagon. :)

View attachment 72075
Last November, i was in Wolfsburg Germany at the big VW Autostadt. Had a good look at all the VW group cars etc but also had a really comprehensive test drive on a fully loaded e-Tron - WOW and a eGolf - OK.. The Audi was quite a vehicle, especially their wing mirror tech. They have cameras instead of mirrors with screens on the door panels below where the mirrors are. It took some getting used to. Would be fabulous at night as it would quite effectively handle the glare from vehicles behind you. But if someone were to clip it while you are parked, some tears would likely be shed...

At the Autostadt, which is a huge exposition park, you can also pick up your new VW. Living here in North America its sad to see all the cars I can't get here. They had an Alltrack Passat that would be perfect. I still love my two wagons (VW and Volvo) but by the time that i need/want to replace one, my choices of wagons will be pretty limited i think.

My F150 pickup is my bike hauler. I bought Inno RT210 truck bed mounts for my acoustic bike. They are only rated for about 35 lbs so I use a ratchet strap to hold my Vado SL securely. It’s a cheaper solution than a trailer hitch system and allows everything to fit in my not very deep garage. This probably isn’t a good solution for a heavy ebike unless you have a ramp.

Attachments

• AE798B33-8F28-47AD-AC89-369FEF61D57D.jpeg
    AE798B33-8F28-47AD-AC89-369FEF61D57D.jpeg
    428.1 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Last November, i was in Wolfsburg Germany at the big VW Autostadt. Had a good look at all the VW group cars etc but also had a really comprehensive test drive on a fully loaded e-Tron - WOW and a eGolf - OK.. The Audi was quite a vehicle, especially their wing mirror tech. They have cameras instead of mirrors with screens on the door panels below where the mirrors are. It took some getting used to. Would be fabulous at night as it would quite effectively handle the glare from vehicles behind you. But if someone were to clip it while you are parked, some tears would likely be shed...

At the Autostadt, which is a huge exposition park, you can also pick up your new VW. Living here in North America its sad to see all the cars I can't get here. They had an Alltrack Passat that would be perfect. I still love my two wagons (VW and Volvo) but by the time that i need/want to replace one, my choices of wagons will be pretty limited i think.
Wow, that must have been a great trip especially with seat time in the e-tron. My last purchase decision had me leaning towards acquiring another wagon but I relented an opted for the slightly loftier ceiling/rear hatch entry height of our current ride for obvious reasons plus our bikes stay clean and safely stowed during overnight trips. This is our third Volvo and perhaps last. For the time being, I don't plan on installing a hitch as it's usually only my wife and I who find ourselves in the vehicle.
P7282506.JPG

IMG_20200909_2240052.jpg

Bike and boat only - no car?

If so, I am jealous of your ability to pull this off.

Though I would still miss my truck nonetheless
Almost the truth, we went down to one car between the two of us. I commute by bike daily and the savings pays for the boat, Proviz jackets, expensive rain gear, three sets of wheels and tires, $1000 in gloves. Tossing one of the kids out of the house gave me a maintenance room to store $3000 dollars of tools and 20 linear feet of hooks to hang all my gear. Fortunately Medical Care in Canada is free, making cycling injuries an additional three weeks of vacation whenever you want.

Last edited:
Wow, that must have been a great trip especially with seat time in the e-tron. My last purchase decision had me leaning towards acquiring another wagon but I relented an opted for the slightly loftier ceiling/rear hatch entry height of our current ride for obvious reasons plus our bikes stay clean and safely stowed during overnight trips. This is our third Volvo and perhaps last. For the time being, I don't plan on installing a hitch as it's usually only my wife and I who find ourselves in the vehicle.
View attachment 72234

Very shiny! We went for the matte look on this one.
I use a hitch rack rack for bike - the wagon has my wife's walking assistance stuff including her own e-vehicle - a folding electric wheelchair.

Volvo&Thule.jpg

VW&Thule.jpg

And finally- back to the thread itself. I sometimes carry my bike in the back, but also with a hitch mounted rack.
A Swagman XC2, where I've removed the second set of wheel cradles.

I've used it with two heavy e-bikes, but just for urban stuff.
It has an adapter that allows me to use it on both the full size 2" hitch on the Volvo and the smaller one on the VW.

VW&Bike.jpg

Very shiny! We went for the matte look on this one.
I use a hitch rack rack for bike - the wagon has my wife's walking assistance stuff including her own e-vehicle - a folding electric wheelchair.

View attachment 72248
View attachment 72249

And finally- back to the thread itself. I sometimes carry my bike in the back, but also with a hitch mounted rack.
A Swagman XC2, where I've removed the second set of wheel cradles.

I've used it with two heavy e-bikes, but just for urban stuff.
It has an adapter that allows me to use it on both the full size 2" hitch on the Volvo and the smaller one on the VW.

View attachment 72251
Two great options for daily drivers. Do either of your wagons fill designated roles. The XC70 (T6?) likely gets the vote for greater cargo carrying capacity and the VW for fuel savings no doubt. Seats in the XC have got to be some of the most comfy I’ve had the pleasure of sitting in especially during long hauls.

Two great options for daily drivers. Do either of your wagons fill designated roles. The XC70 (T6?) likely gets the vote for greater cargo carrying capacity and the VW for fuel savings no doubt. Seats in the XC have got to be some of the most comfy I’ve had the pleasure of sitting in especially during long hauls.
If we are driving together, its almost always the Volvo. Its the right height for my mobility challenged wife to get in and out of. We've good friends with an Xc60, and it's too high for my wife to get into. As far as cargo room, my VW wins, but it doesn't have the wheelchair lift in it. The XC70 is such a super car for our winters here. Put proper tires on it (I do) and who cares about the weather...

Back