Any Dongle work for 2019 Yamaha Cross-Core-Connect Urban Rush?

floyd67

Hello

There appear to be many variation of speed dongles that work with the Yamaha PW-SE currently used in the 2018 and 2019 bikes from Giant, Haibike, maybe others.

Yamaha's own bike models however are described as having torque, speed AND cadence sensors ("Yamaha Triple Sensor System"). Is this the case for Haibike, for example, or is the cadence sensor unique to Yamaha models? Wiring diagrams for all of these dongles show them inline with speed sensor, or between the motor and the display (presumably, just to correct for cutting the speed signal in half.)

Bottom line then, can anyone verify that a Dongle like the Bikespeed RS (for example) can work with a 2018 or 2019 Yamaha PW-SE on a Yamaha Cross Core or Connect?

(Another puzzle is that Yamaha apparently changed the gender of the PW-SE motor connection plugs for 2019 for their third party models at least, making them female sockets rather than the male used in 2018. You can see this at the end of the attached PDF from the Speedup Ribelle dongle. Anyone with a 2019 Yamaha ebike able to confirm that the SE motor plugs are female sockets and that there are 4 of them rather than say 5 for and added Yamaha bike specific cadence sensor?)

Attachments

• Istruzioni-USO-RIBELLE-per-YAMAHA-PW-X-e-PW-SE.pdf
    793 KB · Views: 490
I heard from a shop owner and authorized dealer that the recent 2019 Yamaha bikes (Cross Core, Connect, Urban Rush) have the same motor connectors as 2018, and have not changed since they were first introduced. (That's a male 5 pin display plug as shown in the PDF above for the "2018 SpeedupRibelle for Yamaha PW-SE.)

Can someone please confirm that this has not changed, as it has for the use of the motor by Haibike and Giant?
Thanks!
(OP)

Screen Shot 2019-10-11 at 1.05.32 PM.png

Hopefully I can give you some input in the next day or so. I have a SpeedBox 2 ordered for my 2019 Wabash (PW-SE) but it seems to be taking its sweet time coming from Poland. I ordered it on Sept 29 and it was supposed to be here Oct 2-9. Here it is Oct 11 and the tracking still shows it at a Polish post office.

Hopefully I can give you some input in the next day or so. I have a SpeedBox 2 ordered for my 2019 Wabash (PW-SE) but it seems to be taking its sweet time coming from Poland. I ordered it on Sept 29 and it was supposed to be here Oct 2-9. Here it is Oct 11 and the tracking still shows it at a Polish post office.
This is from the bikespeed rs website.
Yamaha PW / PW-SE / PW-X:

YearMotorDisplayBatterySoftwarerelease
of the bike
2014 to
Yamaha PW Powerdrive UnitYamaha LED- or LCD-display
2017 to
Yamaha PW-X and PW-SEYamaha PW-X- or LCD-X-display
2019Yamaha PW-X and PW-SEYamaha PW-X- or LCD-X-display
Yamaha SideSwitch-display
Yamaha Multi Switch TFT-Display

I have the PW-X display but it doesn't have the Walk button. The vendor told me I could control the SpeedBox with either the display Light switch or with an up/down/up/down sequence with the boost buttons. I'm optimistically hopeful...

Stmbt and Luv2ride,
Thanks, but the case for Yamaha motors in Giant, Haibike and any third parties is already clear, they switched to the new gender plugs, and apparently a change in the speed sensor signal type. That is shown in the image above, and is made clear on most of the dongle sales I've seen.

Now the Yamaha ebikes themselves are potentially unchanged where 2018 and 2019 motor plugs remain the same. This can only be verified by opening the 2019 Cross Core Connect Rush, etc motor cover and looking.

(Once that is known, it remains to be seen if any existing dongle of any kind for PW-SE will work given the claim of an integrated 3rd cadence sensor signal into the PAS motor controller only in Yamahas own ebikes. Clearly those dongles stated to only activate speed signal processing above a speed threshold are more likely to not 'mess up' any additional quality of the Yamaha PAS system function on Yamaha's own bike models at speeds below the threshold, typically under say 10 mph. Above that speed anything goes, if the cadence remains important where the dongle starts cutting the speed relayed to the motor controller software on a full Yamaha ebike.)

I specifically ordered the dongle for the 2019 Yamaha PW-SE rather than the 2018 and earlier model. I assumed they were different because Yamaha changed the speed sensor in 2019 from the usual magnet-on-spoke type to one that is mounted on the rear axle. I will pull the motor and check the plug when/if the SpeedBox arrives.

I specifically ordered the dongle for the 2019 Yamaha PW-SE rather than the 2018 and earlier model. I assumed they were different because Yamaha changed the speed sensor in 2019 from the usual magnet-on-spoke type to one that is mounted on the rear axle. I will pull the motor and check the plug when/if the SpeedBox arrives.

Hi Dave
Somehow missread your post above. I corresponded with bikespeed and speedup. Bikespeed(RS or Key) tried to avoid the central question above (plug gender to start, then compatibility with Yamaha's own claim of proprietary triple sensor) up to refusing to tell me- while saying they knew the answer. 😏

Speedup Ribelle from Italy the opposite. I will confirm the yamaha gender issue on delivery as well, Ribelle function with Yamahas bike shortly after. 👍

Back