Suspension fork for Yamaha Cross Core

geysir

Has anyone put a suspension fork on a Yamaha Cross Core?
I have a Redshift stem but am still feeling the bumps. Rather than sell, I'd like to add a suspension fork. Can someone tell me of a decent fork to purchase? I imagine I will need to cut the steerer tube to the right length and insert a star nut. The front wheel uses a 12 mm thru-axle which differs from the 15 mm on the Cross Connect.
The bike has 35 mm tires. If the suspension fork idea is too difficult an option may be switching to 40 mm lower-pressure tires for a bit more bounce.

You may want to try some wider tubeless tires for extra cushion. The fork can probably take a 45mm wide tire and if you run it tubeless, you can run a lower pressure to make it even more comfy.

Thanks for the tire idea. I may try that. I did soften the ride a little bit by putting the softest elastomer into the Redshift ShockStop stem. I also switched to carbon fiber handlebars (ProTaper 2020).
I ride my mountain bike and absolutely love how the front shocks smooth out the bumps. I want to feel that way on my Yamaha CrossCore.

Does anyone know the specs for the crown race to use on a new front fork for the Yamaha CrossCore? There seem to be various types of crown races. I may be able to pound the one off the old forks but would like to go with a new one.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the specs for the crown race to use on a new front fork for the Yamaha CrossCore? There seem to be various types of crown races. I may be able to pound the one off the old forks but would like to go with a new one.
Just order the stock fork on the Cross Connect, should drop right in.

I would be a little leery about putting a suspension fork onto a frame that was designed for a rigid fork. A suspension fork will raise the front end and change the geometry of the bike. It will also add about five pounds to the bike.

I used to travel to the Czech Republic for business, (at least 4 weeks every year). I kept a Specialized Stumpjumper over there and I rode a lot of cobbles. Even with a very good Fox fork, the cobbles were still chattery at speed because the fork cannot react quickly enough to handle the small, rapid fire impacts. Forks can handle the hits. But they don’t do a very good job over buzzing surfaces. Larger tires run at lower pressure, resilient bars and a setup where you don’t put too much weight on the bars will help more than a suspension fork and save you all the weight and money as well as preserve the good handling that your bike was designed with. A suspension stem would probably be a good compromise.

Back