Any chain drop solutions on the CCX?

Sorry guys, for some reason didn't get a thread email until today.

@niltohams - While the double side guard worked for a week or so the chain started to move it slightly no matter how much I tightened it. Probably just way too much force & vibration with 24 miles per day. Same thing with narrowing the gap between the chain ring and the leg guard. Chain just ended up jamming itself in that space. So those ended up being not long term solutions.

What has worked:

I got the DECKAS Round 130BCD 52T (in red for the hell of it).

I had about 2500 miles on my chain so I replaced that too. The replacement chain turned out to be a few links shorter so a little bit tighter. Have put another 500 miles (roughly) and no drops (or even loss of resistance I used to feel when chain would jump). Everything just feels smoother and more secure.

Weird, must have been a thread / forum glitch.

I should have mentioned that the DECKAS narrow wide idea was youth's suggestion. So a thanks for that! 🍻

Bad chainline, poor derailleur adjustment, and chains that are too long add to drops.

I finally installed the DECKAS narrow wide chainring today... how long has it been...? :eek: Anyway, the chain dropped on the first ride... :confused: It does feel like the chain doesn't jump around though. The chain is near 70% wear though, so maybe a couple links need to be removed? :p

I finally installed the DECKAS narrow wide chainring today... how long has it been...? :eek: Anyway, the chain dropped on the first ride... :confused: It does feel like the chain doesn't jump around though. The chain is near 70% wear though, so maybe a couple links need to be removed? :p

Yeah I haven't had a single drop in at least 1k miles since installing it. I did swap out the chains at the same time though and the new chain and less links. I'm not easy on the bike either, I hop up and down curbs on my commute.

Hi. I 'm still learning about bike repairs. I've had my CCS2 for 250 miles. The chain seems to slip a lot now. I think it's just the chain and not a clutch problem. But, I don't now what a clutch problem would feel like.

1) I think my CCS2 came with a fairly basic chain guide. (see photo). Do other people have that? I think that helps so that I do not actually have chain drops. The chain just slips, which still sucks.

2) Does anyone have a suggested solution? I see some people remove 4 links from the chain. Should I start just by removing 2 links? The slip happens almost exclusively on lower gears and not on the top 2 gears.

Attachments

• ChainCloseUp.jpg
    ChainCloseUp.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 424
  • ChainSideView.jpg
    ChainSideView.jpg
    654.2 KB · Views: 438
It is probably jumping off for a second making it feel like a slip. The guide plastic looks like it's getting some wear so it is certainly not staying on the ring all the time. Mine didn't come with a guide but I added one and that's how it would feel. Taking 2 links off will help.

I wonder if the derailleur is indexing correctly. If the chain isn't square over a rear cog, it may slip up a cog or down a cog. That would be an easy fix.

I've got about 4000 miles on my CCX and the chain started dropping about 500 miles ago, especially when in the higher gears. I changed the whole drivetrain (chainring, chain, and cassette) and replaced the chainring with the Deckas narrow wide ring and things are much better now. 130 BCD 52 tooth on amazon for $28.

I've got about 4000 miles on my CCX and the chain started dropping about 500 miles ago, especially when in the higher gears. I changed the whole drivetrain (chainring, chain, and cassette) and replaced the chainring with the Deckas narrow wide ring and things are much better now. 130 BCD 52 tooth on amazon for $28.
Hey can you say what parts you got for your new drivetrain because I want to swap mine out as well but I’m not sure what parts to get. Thank you

Hey can you say what parts you got for your new drivetrain because I want to swap mine out as well but I’m not sure what parts to get. Thank you
Sure. It was the 52 tooth 130 BCD Deckas chainring. Shimano HG400 11-32 tooth 9 speed cassette and a KMC x9.93 9 speed chain. Should be under $100 all in.

Last edited:
Back