Any chain drop solutions on the CCX?

a701440

Hello Guys, I have about 800 miles on the CCX now. One annoying issue that keeps coming back is the chain drop on bumps. As you stop pedaling right before the rough area the tension is reduced and I end-up with a chain drop a couple of times on my 22 mile commute. Any recommended after market gizmos I can install to reduce the probability of the drop that would fit on the CCX?

I think it needs a chain guide similar to derailleur or a limiter to prevent it from jumping "up". Not sure if the frame has any suitable mounting points though. CCX has some plastic bit on the frame that seems to be for limiting purposes, but it's useless.

If I remember correctly the current front sprocket is already dangerously close to the wires zip-tied to the frame, I doubt that there is any room for an inner chain guard ring.

Swap the stock chain ring for a narrow wide chaining. This will fix the chain drops. The only situation where I've experienced a drop with this solution was a worn stretched chain.

Attachments

• 20190624_125144.jpg
    20190624_125144.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 1,171
Swap the stock chain ring for a narrow wide chaining. This will fix the chain drops. The only situation where I've experienced a drop with this solution was a worn stretched chain.

Thank you, any particular brand/site recommendations to get the narrow-wide chain ring?

Sadly, narrow wide won't run Connexx/Wippermann "eBike chains". I do like a better chain on my mid-drives. I find they're cheaper in the long run. AND they come in lengths for cruisers (Townie and other flat foot)

As to chain drop on the mentioned model, that's really odd! Is the chainline bad?

I never ran my CCX with the stock front chainring. I replaced the stock chainring with a surly stainless steel 42t (and shortened the chain) and have never had a chain drop and my CCX sees all sorts of varied use on the 900 miles on it so far.

Perhaps the stock chain is too long?

I use this method to size my chains

So this problem is far from unique to Juiced. You can search and find this complaint in many ebikes with single chainrings. Its a problem found on many bikes with a single front chainring that has no derailleur. The MTB community recognized this a while back as 1X drivetrains became popular. The common solutions there: a chainguide providing both tension and alignment to the chainring; and using rear derailleurs with a "clutch" that increases chain tension. Unfortunately clutch type derailleurs are only available with 10spd or greater rear cassettes. Converting to a 10spd is possible on a CCS/X but you need to change the chain, derailleur, cassette, and shifter. Gets kinda pricey.
As others have said, a narrow wide chainring can help, so can a chainguide, so can shortening the stock chain. I put a cheap ~$12 chainguide on my CCS the day I got it thanks to this site and knowing about the issue, (haven't done anything else). I only had a couple of drops until my first chain wore out at around 5000 miles and started dropping constantly. The new chain is shorter at 116 links, and I have not had any drops with the new one.

The third eye chain watch has eliminated almost all inside drops after 2k miles, however I'm now starting to get outside drops. I checked with a chain tool and it doesn't appear to be stretched so I guess maybe my derailer isn't providing the tension it used to.

I would love to find a cheap version of the K-Edge chain catcher. One that has the lip over the top to prevent the chain from jumping off the ring in the first place.

I looked into chain catchers at first, but quickly found out how expensive they are. So I just went ahead and bought a prowheel crank with double sided chain guard. No chain drops since then.

Could you provide a link to the one you bought?

Back