Any Allant+ owners had a system update?

Dallant

Region
USA
I am just wondering if anyone has had a OS update done, what it entailed and what actual changes went made that they've noticed. Also curious if you know what version you have?

Hey Dallant, I had the firmware updates on the motor and battery. I can say that the update made a noticable increase in torque from the stop. It's much quicker getting up to speed. For some reason, they forgot to update the computer's firmware to the latest but I don't know what that update contained since they don't offer any notes on them. I wish the cobi app could push updates to the bike. The shop takes way too long to do even the quickest things.

Hey Dallant, I had the firmware updates on the motor and battery. I can say that the update made a noticable increase in torque from the stop. It's much quicker getting up to speed. For some reason, they forgot to update the computer's firmware to the latest but I don't know what that update contained since they don't offer any notes on them. I wish the cobi app could push updates to the bike. The shop takes way too long to do even the quickest things.
I think there is only one firmware update. Depending on what bike you have and the choices made during the update, it may change things differently from bike to bike. My Allant+7 has the PLCX motor and it went from 75Nm of torque to 85Nm. I chose to have the Sport mode changed to EMTB mode and had the light on/off function enabled.

I have the 8S and got the 85NM and the lights on/off my software is still on 1.0.2.0 and I believe it should be on my 1.1.0.0 version according to the Bosch website... not sure why the LBS didn’t update the software at the same time...

Yes, my drive unit firmware is 1.1.0.0 after the update. Battery's firmware is now current with what Bosch has listed on the site. Hub firmware is 1.0.7 but 1.0.9 is available. I don't know what fixes or features that update may contain. It'll have to wait until I'm motivated to do it. It is strange that the app says 'checking firmware' when it connects to the bike. It never indicated it would or could update it. Maybe it's just a check that it's valid?

Yes, my drive unit firmware is 1.1.0.0 after the update. Battery's firmware is now current with what Bosch has listed on the site. Hub firmware is 1.0.7 but 1.0.9 is available. I don't know what fixes or features that update may contain. It'll have to wait until I'm motivated to do it. It is strange that the app says 'checking firmware' when it connects to the bike. It never indicated it would or could update it. Maybe it's just a check that it's valid?
It seems that the software has certain requirements to update in certain ways. For instance, the tech who did my update checked the crank and (I think) it had to be the CX motor with the 170mm crank to allow the EMTB mode to be enabled.

I think there is only one firmware update. Depending on what bike you have and the choices made during the update, it may change things differently from bike to bike. My Allant+7 has the PLCX motor and it went from 75Nm of torque to 85Nm. I chose to have the Sport mode changed to EMTB mode and had the light on/off function enabled.

I'm 90% certain I'll be getting the lower-speed Allant 7+. I am a fan of the EMTB mode, but I wonder how much it affects battery life. Have you had the new mode long enough to make a guess?

I'm 90% certain I'll be getting the lower-speed Allant 7+. I am a fan of the EMTB mode, but I wonder how much it affects battery life. Have you had the new mode long enough to make a guess?
I haven’t noticed any difference. That said, I haven’t really been paying close attention to my battery life. I am certainly a big fan of EMTB mode and I’m pretty sure that if you don’t like it or it takes up too much battery, you can always change back to Sport mode.

I haven’t noticed any difference. That said, I haven’t really been paying close attention to my battery life. I am certainly a big fan of EMTB mode and I’m pretty sure that if you don’t like it or it takes up too much battery, you can always change back to Sport mode.
Nice!

I am loving the increase in torque to 85 on my Allant +9.9s Not only does is make the off the line performance snappier (like a CX) it also makes cruising for mile after, vigorous but not strenuous mile, a dream on flat ground at 24-26 mph with a cadence of 72 in 11th gear out of 12. It's like an upgrade to the best of all worlds. I don't think that EMTP is an option on the speed motor, which is fine by me, as I like maximum control over my expenditure of electrons. So I would not opt for it anyway.

I am doing the Mount Baker Climb on Monday with the Allant and an extra power pack. It is a 48 mile round trip with an elevation gain of right around 5,000 feet. I did it last year on my Riese & Muller Delight Mountain. It is a challenging ride but fantastic. I have been riding hard lately, tuning up for this ride, with 816 miles in July and 257 so far this month.

Here is a shot of my Delight at the top of the Mount Baker Climb last year.

P1032724.JPG

I am loving the increase in torque to 85 on my Allant +9.9s Not only does is make the off the line performance snappier (like a CX) it also makes cruising for mile after, vigorous but not strenuous mile, a dream on flat ground at 24-26 mph with a cadence of 72 in 11th gear out of 12. It's like an upgrade to the best of all worlds. I don't think that EMTP is an option on the speed motor, which is fine by me, as I like maximum control over my expenditure of electrons. So I would not opt for it anyway.

I am doing the Mount Baker Climb on Monday with the Allant and an extra power pack. It is a 48 mile round trip with an elevation gain of right around 5,000 feet. I did it last year on my Riese & Muller Delight Mountain. It is a challenging ride but fantastic. I have been riding hard lately, tuning up for this ride, with 816 miles in July and 257 so far this month.

Here is a shot of my Delight at the top of the Mount Baker Climb last year.

How did it go? Did you have any issues with the bike or the tires? I have Allant+ 8s, and I’m curious how the MTB experience with this setup. Did you change the tires?

How did it go? Did you have any issues with the bike or the tires? I have Allant+ 8s, and I’m curious how the MTB experience with this setup. Did you change the tires?
I did change the tires to the Schwalbe Hurricanes. They do not roll quite as easily but they have way better road grip and brake without skidding. It was a ride up into the mountains but all on paved roads so it was not really a MTB experience.

The ride was glorious. Perfect weather and the Allant performed like a champ. My riding buddy Matt, was on his new Specialized Turbo Creo SL Expert Evo. He was thrilled with how his bike performed as well. The Revelate Tangle frame bag was a perfect add on for the ride, expanding the carrying capacity for pump, extra chain, storage for a windbreaker and other tools and spares. Their Gas Tank on the front of the top tube is a very handy bag for personal items, keys, energy bars, spare derailleur battery, charging cable, glasses cleaner, etc. https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/frame-bags/TangleFrameBag

20200810_123626.jpg

20200810_121801.jpg

20200810_115522.jpg

I did change the tires to the Schwalbe Hurricanes. They do not roll quite as easily but they have way better road grip and brake without skidding. It was a ride up into the mountains but all on paved roads so it was not really a MTB experience.

The ride was glorious. Perfect weather and the Allant performed like a champ. My riding buddy Matt, was on his new Specialized Turbo Creo SL Expert Evo. He was thrilled with how his bike performed as well. The Revelate Tangle frame bag was a perfect add on for the ride, expanding the carrying capacity for pump, extra chain, storage for a windbreaker and other tools and spares. Their Gas Tank on the front of the top tube is a very handy bag for personal items, keys, energy bars, spare derailleur battery, charging cable, glasses cleaner, etc. https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/frame-bags/TangleFrameBag

It looks amazing! Thank you for sharing.

I finally got around to getting my Allant+ 7s updated to the latest Bosch drive unit firmware version (now at 1.1.2.0).

I'm liking the updated peak torque to 85Nm when tackling steep hills in Turbo. It also feels a bit sportier all around or quicker engagement when I pedal in any mode (but this all around "sportier feel" is subtle enough that it makes it hard for me to distinguish what is real and what may be placebo effect of me knowing that I have the update).

Really happy with my Allant!

Where did you get that analysis? I'd love to break down my rides like that.
That is a screen shot of my dashboard on Bosch's ebikeconnect.com portal. I use the older Nyon which replaces the Intuvia display. They were never sold or supported in North America but I got hold of some and put them on my Bosch bikes. They connect to my home wifi automatically and upload ride data when I arrive back home at the end of a ride. My phone and heart rate monitor connect to it via bluetooth. It has its own gps and stores, displays maps and gives riding directions. It also allows for custom layout and data choices for ride and fitness screens and enables custom ride assist modes.

Bosch has a new version of the Nyon with touch screen available to North America soon.

FireShot Pro Screen Capture #084 - 'Bosch eBike Connect' - www_ebike-connect_com_ebikeconnect_...jpg

That is a screen shot of my dashboard on Bosch's ebikeconnect.com portal. I use the older Nyon which replaces the Intuvia display. They were never sold or supported in North America but I got hold of some and put them on my Bosch bikes. They connect to my home wifi automatically and upload ride data when I arrive back home at the end of a ride. My phone and heart rate monitor connect to it via bluetooth. It has its own gps and stores, displays maps and gives riding directions. It also allows for custom layout and data choices for ride and fitness screens and enables custom ride assist modes.

Bosch has a new version of the Nyon with touch screen available to North America soon.
Man. I have the Bosch smartphone hub and have no idea how to get that kind of information. I don't think there is a way, but I may be missing something. Strava keeps track of some info, but your Nyon has way more data, like assistance level and power output.

When I bought the Allant, I paid extra to remove the smart phonehub and put an Intuvia mount on the bike so I could use the Nyon. I had heard too many reports of phones flying out of the smartphone hub and did not want mine to share that fate. ALso I generally prefer having a dedicated display module, especially for navigation functions. I am a retired professional boater and have learned the hard way not to rely on a computer but rather a dedicated, waterproof and shock proof, specifically designed unit for essential navigation and data monitoring functions.

When I bought the Allant, I paid extra to remove the smart phonehub and put an Intuvia mount on the bike so I could use the Nyon. I had heard too many reports of phones flying out of the smartphone hub and did not want mine to share that fate. ALso I generally prefer having a dedicated display module, especially for navigation functions. I am a retired professional boater and have learned the hard way not to rely on a computer but rather a dedicated, waterproof and shock proof, specifically designed unit for essential navigation and data monitoring functions.
Live and learn I guess. I'll do that next time. Meanwhile, I hope you don't mind me linking your post to the Bosch forum. I want to see if someone knows a way to get that level of information while using a smartphonehub. Maybe Bosch will consider allowing us SmartPhoneHub users access.

My phone did fly off the hub and broke - $1K disaster. Because of that, and that the plastic mounting connections cracked on the hub, I now mount my phone separately, which makes my handlebars crowded. At least I have peace of mind that the phone is there to stay.
Thanks.

Back