Another Sondors CF Campaign.. This one on KS

JoePah

New Sondors campaign on KS.. This time providing options like a suspension fork, AL frame, better battery.... Base price back to $499+194 shipping.

Surprised there's no option for different sized bike frames, or display module. Pictures show the module, but am skeptical its part of the base price.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gosondors/sondors-electric-bike-most-affordable-ebike-ever

[EDIT by Court] Sorry to hijack your post @JoePah! I wanted to add some detail here and respond to your note about the display... I contacted Storm today and got some info on the new bikes (and also ordered one of the skinny tire models for review). It turns out the skinny tires are 4" which is fairly standard for fat bikes, the original Sondors on Indiegogo and the fat versions now available on kickstarter use Chaoyang 26" x 4.9" which is extra large. Other details that were shared include:
  • Normal sized battery is 36 Volt 8.8 Amp Hour, new large option is 36 Volt 12.8 Amp Hour for +$85.
  • The LCD display is not included with these new bikes, you can get it for $99 on the GoSondors website here.
  • All of the new models are single speed drivetrain, just like the original Indiegogo bikes.
I ordered a steel frame even though it might weigh a couple pounds more than Aluminum, I prefer the strength and reduced vibration... also wanted to save $100 and was more excited about the bright fun colors vs. white. I'm going to be looking out for some plastic zip-tie fenders to add and am considering this and maybe one of these (open to suggestions, maybe also rack ideas).

Last edited by a moderator:
That said, we will be upfront and transparent with the entire process, throughout the campaign and until each and every eBike is in the hands of its new owner

It's a very professional campaign. It seemed like there would be tensions with IGG, but why go into that? KS has more protections. USA only. They strip it down to things that are the most manageable.

I guess they still have some bikes from IGG, so keeping the same basic configuration eases that.

No reason not to wish him a lot of success. The bike has been a positive force.

I have more trust in Kickstarter as well. Must admit I'm somewhat tempted to put one of these next to my radrover for my wife to ride.

I think you have a lot more recourse with KS, like getting your money back during the campaign, and more responsibilities from the Creator.

Suspension fork, upgraded battery, AL frame, will bring total cost to $755 plus shipping.. Still not bad.

I think you have a lot more recourse with KS, like getting your money back during the campaign, and more responsibilities from the Creator.

Suspension fork, upgraded battery, AL frame, will bring total cost to $755 plus shipping.. Still not bad.

Battery and frame upgrades are intriguing. That fork is junk, same one as on the radrover, I took it off almost immediately - fat bikes don't really need a fork!

LMK if you want to sell you shock forks for fat bike..... If it will fit my gen 1 sonders.. I'll take it.

I'll be doing upgrades to my gen 1 sonders bike..... shock front forks, lw seat post/seat/handlebars, 48volt system (perhaps 2wd). etc... etc...

LMK if you want to sell you shock forks for fat bike..... If it will fit my gen 1 sonders.. I'll take it.

I'll be doing upgrades to my gen 1 sonders bike..... shock front forks, lw seat post/seat/handlebars, 48volt system (perhaps 2wd). etc... etc...
Good call, I enjoyed the suspension fork on the RadRover and am excited to see it as an option on the new Sondors models. The narrow tire interests me but I'm wondering how narrow? Also, would be cool if they offered some gears vs. the single speed. I'd love to see more about the display (whether it's included) and also the size of the optional upgraded battery. Debating whether I should back to do another review... last time was exhausting ;)

Well fug it, I'm in for one lunch box with an upgraded battery. This will be a better (and cheaper) commuter to leave locked up at the bus stop over the radrover. Have 30 days to cancel if they don't clarify the extra battery capacity and tire details for the new low profiles (...I have a pair of husker du tires that I can throw on anyway).

Well fug it, I'm in for one lunch box with an upgraded battery. This will be a better (and cheaper) commuter to leave locked up at the bus stop over the radrover. Have 30 days to cancel if they don't clarify the extra battery capacity and tire details for the new low profiles (...I have a pair of husker du tires that I can throw on anyway).
Wow, Paul, they made their funding goal in a day. I assume they will add a parallel set of batteries in series, so maybe push the thing to 12 ah. If they are really nice, maybe two more row and 14-15 ah. Storm has always been rather generous. The tires don't look too narrow. Is 4" more standard? I still don't feel I have a great handle on some of the performance characteristics, like hills.

Anyway, have fun. Maybe we can all just sit/stand around and celebrate something we feel we understand, this time around.

Wow, Paul, they made their funding goal in a day. I assume they will add a parallel set of batteries in series, so maybe push the thing to 12 ah. If they are really nice, maybe two more row and 14-15 ah. Storm has always been rather generous. The tires don't look too narrow. Is 4" more standard? I still don't feel I have a great handle on some of the performance characteristics, like hills.

Anyway, have fun. Maybe we can all just sit/stand around and celebrate something we feel we understand, this time around.

I didn't think it would take long to get to $75K - you have to figure they lost a good chunk of sales when they upped the original price with IGG, and that as soon as people see it offered at the $499 (plus shipping) it would pick right back up - especially with all the user experiences being generally positive across the board.

I figure something around 12ah would be worth the upgrade price of $85, anything more would be a plus.

4 inch tires are generally the fat bike minimum, but fairly common as the standard as well, so the smaller tires aren't really a whole lot different than any other fat bike (the larger original tires are less the norm I would say, especially for anything store bought/direct from a shop).

Glad they went with kickstarter this time, have 30 days to mull it over before I pay the price of admission! I also think they'll get bikes to backers closer to the listed date now that they have had experience with the first campaign - the box mold is cast, the specs are all ironed out, changing a frame or tire is a simple line switch compared to those other aspects.

Response from Greg Dawson, who helps with the marketing:

LCD Module NOT included with price

The Narrow Tire Option is a 4" wide tire (v the 4.6" tire with the standard bike)

There's a weird way you add options to your purchase. Let me know if need that info.

Response from Greg Dawson, who helps with the marketing:

LCD Module NOT included with price

The Narrow Tire Option is a 4" wide tire (v the 4.6" tire with the standard bike)

There's a weird way you add options to your purchase. Let me know if need that info.

Thanks, I kinda figured on the LCD, seeing as they show it with and without in the marketing details. Doesn't bother me, I want to keep this bike as simple as possible. Do you know if we can find out the specific tire they'll be using for the 4 inch? It was easy enough to add the extra payment for the options. Thanks for the details!

USA shipping only correct? @ Court, has there been some sort of update to your Server? I can actually post now without taking 10 minutes to get on the forum and 10 mins to post replies after multiple attempts, nothing has been done my end!! I spoke too soon..... having problems posting this........

yep USA shipping only.

no idea on the tire brand. Greg didn't even know what the upcost battery option included.. He'll find out, eventually.

yep USA shipping only.

no idea on the tire brand. Greg didn't even know what the upcost battery option included.. He'll find out, eventually.
There has already been an update, the battery upgrade is 12.Something, worth it imho!

I added these same details above to the opening post from @JoePah so people could have all the details up front. Here's what I wrote:

I contacted Storm today and got some info on the new bikes (and also ordered one of the skinny tire models for review). It turns out the skinny tires are 4" which is fairly standard for fat bikes, the original Sondors on Indiegogo and the fat versions now available on kickstarter use Chaoyang 26" x 4.9" which is extra large. Other details that were shared include:
  • Normal sized battery is 36 Volt 8.8 Amp Hour, new large option is 36 Volt 12.8 Amp Hour for +$85.
  • The LCD display is not included with these new bikes, you can get it for $99 on the GoSondors website here.
  • All of the new models are single speed drivetrain, just like the original Indiegogo bikes.
I ordered a steel frame even though it might weigh a couple pounds more than Aluminum, I prefer the strength and reduced vibration... also wanted to save $100 and was more excited about the bright fun colors vs. white. I'm going to be looking out for some plastic zip-tie fenders to add and am considering thisand maybe one of these (open to suggestions, maybe also rack ideas, I found this one but it's pretty expensive). Picture of the fenders I'm looking at on a fat bike below, wanted something light and minimalist:

muckynutz-fat-bike-fenders.jpg

Here's another cheaper rack I found, not sure any of these will work with the new models but the last Sondors ebike I reviewed did have bosses so a disc brake compatible rack should be doable. Here's another front fender I found, open to input about it or others.

ps. sorry for the choppy posting and sporatic involvement lately... I've been traveling like crazy and am currently sick but attending Interbike (or at least part of it). I went out this afternoon and got some footage, have shot a few reviews on the side, will get some more coverage for you guys!

Wow. At this rate, Sondors bikes will outnumber all the others combined in the U.S. by at least 5:1. lol

@Court I have the axiom fatliner rack on my radrover, it is a perfect fit, you can buy adapters even if there aren't attachment points behind the seat on the frame. It should be a good fit on the sondors as well. For fenders also check out Portland design works mud shovels designed for fat bikes.

Hopefully, the tires on the new Sonders are better than 1st gen. There were tons of reports of flats. Liners and/or slime a must! I was hoping they would offer an motor upgrade option also. 350watt still seems awfully wimpy. Why not offer a 500W version? LCD should be stock. How about offering a fender + rack upgrade? How about 7-speed upgrade? Sure that will take up the price but if it was around $1000 +shipping, it still would be a good deal.

Back