Another Kiox 503 Error saga

Kiwibru

Puzzled...
R&M Supercharger 2 , purchased Jan. 2020, now at 2680 miles.
Kiox Software ver. 4.0.3.0 (updated in Aug. via Bosch eBike connect software on phone via Bluetooth connection. No issues for three months since).

Keep getting Error 503 speed sensor fault, loss of speed indication, miles traveled.

What I have done:
Checked position of magnet on rear wheel, good alignment with sensor mark.
Sensor is tight on chain stay.
Kiox mount is not too tight, checked wire attachment at Kiox. Cleaned mount connections and Kiox connection nubs.
Reboot Kiox, problem goes away only to occur again later. Noticed it tends to happen after a rough bump. (Bike does not go off-road or on gravel / dirt roads).

Could connection point in Bosch motor be the problem? Or, is the sensor itself at fault due to electronic failure and self-healing condition?
I am tempted to pull the motor cover and put on some dielectric contact grease on the wire connection that runs through the chain stay back to the sensor mount. Anyone done this?

Nearest Bosch dealer is on the mainland 75 miles NW of the island I live on.
TIA

I just had this on my nyon after 12,000 miles. took it in and they think it was just a tiny magnet position issue. from what I was told it can be a real finicky thing. so I would adjust it and see. I can post a pic later of mine.

IMG_3575.jpg

Interesting. I was able to find from online sources and the Bosch manual that the magnet needs to be over the line which in your photo is to the left of where your magnet is located and also not perfectly flat but slightly turned so that in the downward passage past the frame mounted sensor the edge is slightly closer on top. Do you get errors at all with the position you have your magnet in? Dealer is sending me a new sensor just in case and I have the correct crank puller so will probably go for some dielectric grease on the motor attachment after removing the left hand cover. If that doesn't work, swap out the sensor and hope that solves it.

Interesting. I was able to find from online sources and the Bosch manual that the magnet needs to be over the line which in your photo is to the left of where your magnet is located and also not perfectly flat but slightly turned so that in the downward passage past the frame mounted sensor the edge is slightly closer on top. Do you get errors at all with the position you have your magnet in?
this is what the bosch mechanic set it at after I got the error so far its worked well. but it could have been crap on riding I the rain on it too.

I ended up getting a new pickup sensor under warranty but I am waiting for warranty expiration (2 year mark) in Jan. to pull the side cover on the motor and swap out the sensor. That said I too did some experimentation with the magnet position and ended up sliding it back towards the bolt bulge but then turning the spoke pick up slightly so it is angled down a bit as it moves in rotation towards the sensor on the chain stay. So far, no more error! Very weird. Guess time will tell if the actual pickup unit is going out and just self healing as electronic devices can sometimes to.

I ended up getting a new pickup sensor under warranty but I am waiting for warranty expiration (2 year mark) in Jan. to pull the side cover on the motor and swap out the sensor. That said I too did some experimentation with the magnet position and ended up sliding it back towards the bolt bulge but then turning the spoke pick up slightly so it is angled down a bit as it moves in rotation towards the sensor on the chain stay. So far, no more error! Very weird. Guess time will tell if the actual pickup unit is going out and just self healing as electronic devices can sometimes to.
I think my issue was the nyon being loose in its mount.

I have Kiox and in desperation even cleaned the contacts on the computer and the mounting bracket. They seemed clean and just fine. Still baffled but happy the error has not returned...at least not yet.

Hello!

Sorry I'm a bit late to the game on this, but I'll add a few points for reference...

- Kiwibru is correct on the speed sensor/magnet alignment info... The magnet should be aligned with the vertical line on the sensor, near where the wire connects. Distance between sensor and magnet should be 8-14mm. Only Bosch magnets will work, as they are much stronger than other cycling magents (ie: computer magnet).

- It is important to keep display contacts clean, but this will have no effect on speed sensor issues. Corroded/dirty display contacts can potentially cause intermittent assistance loss, and/or cause the system to turn off, but they will not trigger a 503 error code, etc.

- If issues persist following verification of proper alignment, it is most likely an issue with the speed sensor/ cable assembly. This can mean a manufacturing defect in the component, and/or installation damage that partially severed or shorted the (2) wires in the speed sensor cable.

Please let me know if you need any more info!

Your detailed information is appreciated, William.

A question: how and with what do you recommend cleaning the display contacts?

Thanks

Peter

I use this to clean and seal all the contacts. I also used it to waterproof a garage door opener. I tested it without its case under running water and it worked fine.

Is that suitable for where electrical contact is essential?
thats what its for. I said I sealed the electronics on my grarage door opener with it. now its waterproof but still works fine. I used it on all my batteries when i was having problems with one not connecting always.

Is ACF 50 safe on electronics?

ACF-50 (Anti-Corrosion Formula) is an aerospace product that is now available to motorcyclists. Its aviation approval is MIL-SPEC 81309 Type II and III, which means it is approved for ferrous and non-ferrous metals, electrical systems and electronic components.

Your detailed information is appreciated, William.

A question: how and with what do you recommend cleaning the display contacts?

Thanks

Peter
The safest way is to gentle rub them with a pink-colored pencil eraser, which has been a go-to cleaning method for electrical contacts for quite some time. I'm sure there are some great cleaning products on the market as well, but I can't officially recommend any as I'm not sure how they'd react with the various plastic-type materials used on Bosch's displays and display holders. The only other thing Bosch officially recommends beyond the gentle cleaning is a thin layer of dielectric grease to prevent corrosion.

Again, likely some other great options out there for cleaning and protection, but nothing else that I can officially speak on.

thats what its for. I said I sealed the electronics on my grarage door opener with it. now its waterproof but still works fine. I used it on all my batteries when i was having problems with one not connecting always.

Is ACF 50 safe on electronics?

ACF-50 (Anti-Corrosion Formula) is an aerospace product that is now available to motorcyclists. Its aviation approval is MIL-SPEC 81309 Type II and III, which means it is approved for ferrous and non-ferrous metals, electrical systems and electronic components.

Yes, I understood it's used for protecting electronic components. A protective film that is conductive when sprayed on the contacting surfaces of electric contacts such as on the display?

The safest way is to gentle rub them with a pink-colored pencil eraser, which has been a go-to cleaning method for electrical contacts for quite some time. I'm sure there are some great cleaning products on the market as well, but I can't officially recommend any as I'm not sure how they'd react with the various plastic-type materials used on Bosch's displays and display holders. The only other thing Bosch officially recommends beyond the gentle cleaning is a thin layer of dielectric grease to prevent corrosion.

Again, likely some other great options out there for cleaning and protection, but nothing else that I can officially speak on.
Thank you

My wife's Bulls ebike with the gen 4 Bosch motor just flashed the dreaded 503 error code.
I cleaned the sensor end and the magnet and took the battery out-then put it back in, but the code came up again.
I'm taking it into the shop where we purchased the bike from today. Luckily, it's still under warranty.

I guess it's just the luck of the draw. This bike has less than 1000km on it, while my Cannondale Neo Lefty 3, with the same motor, has over 7000 near trouble free (I did have to have the motor mount re-torqued) kms on it.

Back