Andrew from Boulder CO: ARGO+E-bike?

ankubanks

Hi everyone! I'm Andrew from Boulder, CO. I've got two kids, ages 5 and 2. We bike a lot together on our muscle-powered Yuba BodaBoda, but the more we bike, the more we want to bike. I've realized that an e-bike is the next step to increase the frequency and distance of our rides. We've ridden around on a friend's Tern GSD, which has been super fun. However, I'm wanting to go in the direction of a bakfiets-style (front loader) bike. I believe it will be easier to keep the kids warm on cold winter days, since I can just throw blankets over their laps, which has been harder to do on a long tail. I also like the idea of being able to throw all the groceries and whatever else in the bucket and go. If budget weren't an issue I'd love to get an Urban Arrow or a Riese and Mueller. Budget is an issue, however, so I'm considering the approach of getting a cheap (<$2,000) hub-driven e-bike and attaching an ARGO kit onto the front (https://argobikes.com). I test rode an ARGO when they first came out last year, with a muscle-driven bike, and I loved it! I'll likely get the ARGO and start using it with my old hardtail mountain bike while I continue to research and save up for the e-bike. If anyone else has experience with pairing an ARGO with an e-bike, I'd love to pick your brain.

Welcome! I've got no experience with it but I've studied the ARGO and it seems to be a nice bit of kit. Here's a thread in case you haven't seen it yet.

I ended up buying an ARGO and am currently setting it up to ride on my 20-year-old hardtail mountain bike. Still need to do more research on what e-bike to get for it.

Attachments

• 82E76BB4-C87B-4674-9789-B5632A74D812.jpeg
    82E76BB4-C87B-4674-9789-B5632A74D812.jpeg
    425 KB · Views: 459
Hi everyone! I'm Andrew from Boulder, CO. I've got two kids, ages 5 and 2. We bike a lot together on our muscle-powered Yuba BodaBoda, but the more we bike, the more we want to bike. I've realized that an e-bike is the next step to increase the frequency and distance of our rides. We've ridden around on a friend's Tern GSD, which has been super fun. However, I'm wanting to go in the direction of a bakfiets-style (front loader) bike. I believe it will be easier to keep the kids warm on cold winter days, since I can just throw blankets over their laps, which has been harder to do on a long tail. I also like the idea of being able to throw all the groceries and whatever else in the bucket and go. If budget weren't an issue I'd love to get an Urban Arrow or a Riese and Mueller. Budget is an issue, however, so I'm considering the approach of getting a cheap (<$2,000) hub-driven e-bike and attaching an ARGO kit onto the front (https://argobikes.com). I test rode an ARGO when they first came out last year, with a muscle-driven bike, and I loved it! I'll likely get the ARGO and start using it with my old hardtail mountain bike while I continue to research and save up for the e-bike. If anyone else has experience with pairing an ARGO with an e-bike, I'd love to pick your brain.
I've explored about all avenues in my 40 years of off roading. When it comes to taking along family and friends, a UTV is the only one that works, My favorite is the Polaris 1000 4 seater. With a family you can stop and fix lunch, hike the mountains and canyons. Let the kids drive the machine, and they will clamor to go out into the deserts and mountains.

Hey Andrew, I live a little east of you in Lafayette and also have an Argo that I have been pairing with a mountain bike. I am getting a little tired totting around the wee one and was looking for a little assistance. Did you ever find a compatible e-bike? I think the Rad City 4 looks like it might be compatible but it's motor seems to be on the lower end of torque.

Back