ancheer bike quit

BillProctor

Region
USA
I'm new to e-bikes. I purchased an ancheer mountain bike in september for a couple of hunts I had upcoming. it worked great using it around the house and the first hunt went good except that toward the end of the hunt i would be going along and it would stop assisting for just a second or two. After I got home I rode it a few times and the cutting out was rare. This last week I took it to the second hunt and 15 minutes into the hunt it quit completely and it will not work at all now. I've contacted the company I purchased it from off of e-bay but they just ignore me so I'm left figuring out what might be wrong, how to test and where to by the parts. I'm just looking for information so that I can learn it and fix the issue. All information is appreciated.

Voltage going into the controller is a key data point. connectors can go bad, welds in battery can go bad. Since I converted my bike, I have red & black external battery-controller wires I can splice a patch in to take a voltage measurement. Most built bikes have the wiring hidden, so this data is unavailable. In that case, take bike to the dealer you bought it from and let him deal with the warrenty. No dealer? Whoops!
A new power wheel+controller+throttle+brakehandles+paspickup is $350-$750. A new battery from a reputable dealer not outside the USA customs zone is $400-900. That means you can wire your bike externally and put in a voltage sense splice if you wish. All up to you. When I wore out my $221 powerwheel kit at 4500 miles, I threw it away and bought another for $730. Luna battery is still going @ 3 years, ~300 charges. Bargain batteries from Amazon & Ebay were recycled with 7 to 11 miles on them. They gave up at the first hill that required >2 amps.
Parts, ebikeling is reliable but cheap. Luna served me well but they have dived off into the racing market, no 36 v batteries anymore & just one 10 aH 48 v one. Other vendors, check shicks or tjawesky. The 100s of referals to EM3EV & Grin Tech ignore the fact that you have to deal with US Customs - both ways. Sometimes things go smoothly. I ordered 10 parts from Farnell that had to be shipped from Farnell UK warehouse to Farnell SC warehouse. Usually takes 2 days. 5 1/2 weeks later I got them, in a second $8 UPS box because they didn't ship with everything else.

Last edited:
You should describe the symptoms if you want an internet diagnosis. "It will not work at all now" is not enough.

-A link to the actual bike you purchased?
-Does bike display power up or is it dead?
-Does battery have a power lever indicator. Is it working? What happens if you try to charge it? Are you able to remove it and measure voltage?
-When it cut out in the past, how did you know? Loss of power on pedal assist? Loss of power on throttle? Loss of power on LED's?
-If the display powers up, can you turn the wheel backward with slight resistance by hand when the bike is powered up?
-Are your brake cables tight? There are microswitches in the levers that shut off power if the levers are slightly open.

You should describe the symptoms if you want an internet diagnosis. "It will not work at all now" is not enough.

-Does battery have a power lever indicator. Is it working? What happens if you try to charge it? Are you able to remove it and measure voltage?
-When it cut out in the past, how did you know? Loss of power on pedal assist? Loss of power on throttle? Loss of power on LED's?
-If the display powers up, can you turn the wheel backward with slight resistance by hand when the bike is powered up?
-Are your brake cables tight? There are microswitches in the levers that shut off power if the levers are slightly open.
harryS is right you need to watch for all the information you can. Had the same problem with my ecotrec fat tire bike felt like a dummy when I was told by harryS to adjust the brake cable has worked perfectly ever since. You have come to the right place. There are some smart guy's here!

26'' 27" Electric Bike Mountain Bicycle EBike SHIMANO 21 Speed 36V Li-Battery; | eBay
The power meter shows full power, horn & lights work but no assist on pedaling nor using the throttle. It started out that as I would be riding the power assist would stop for just a second or two but then on this last trip it cut in and out a couple of times and then quit completely. brake cables are tight. there is a light resistance turning the wheel backwards when powered up. I'll try to get home in time to measure the voltage but the meter shows full.

26'' 27" Electric Bike Mountain Bicycle EBike SHIMANO 21 Speed 36V Li-Battery; | eBay
The power meter shows full power, horn & lights work but no assist on pedaling nor using the throttle. It started out that as I would be riding the power assist would stop for just a second or two but then on this last trip it cut in and out a couple of times and then quit completely. brake cables are tight. there is a light resistance turning the wheel backwards when powered up.

The purpose of turning the wheel backward was to look for a short in the motor phases. The motor is hard to turn, in effect being regeneratively braked when that happens. Since this a geared motor, it freewheels if turning forward. so you turn it backward. It rarely happens, but it's an easy test, so I suggest it.

The ebay ad didn't describe the LCD display, but says it has one. Does it show error codes?

The other easy check is to follow the motor cable back to the controller and look for a round motor connector. Unplug/plug it. Many LCD systems will show an error code indicating if that connector is loose.

The suggestion about the brake cables was not to make sure they were tight, but to make sure the motor inhibitor switch is being activated. If the handle doesn't return to full rest, the motor will get no power. With that price bracket eBike, failure of the controller is a very high likelihood. Where to get parts will be a mystery based on the purchase off eBay. There is a price to be paid latter when buying in that price range from a low end supplier like that.

Good detective work. Congrats. If those were the heavy phase wires, it should have made the wheel hard to turn. Oh well.

I'm new to e-bikes. I purchased an ancheer mountain bike in september for a couple of hunts I had upcoming. it worked great using it around the house and the first hunt went good except that toward the end of the hunt i would be going along and it would stop assisting for just a second or two. After I got home I rode it a few times and the cutting out was rare. This last week I took it to the second hunt and 15 minutes into the hunt it quit completely and it will not work at all now. I've contacted the company I purchased it from off of e-bay but they just ignore me so I'm left figuring out what might be wrong, how to test and where to by the parts. I'm just looking for information so that I can learn it and fix the issue. All information is appreciated.
I have the same bike and love it. A few months after I got it, the motor would conk out for a moment or two. In time, the down time lengthened. I took the controller cover off and discovered a loose connector. It was a quick fix and I wish I had done it sooner. There's extra room in the controller casing, so repacking it was easy.

Back