An old wives tale ???

Which is not really a characteristic of a bicycle but a scooter. But, I absolutely loathe throttles on bikes.
Depends on the application. I mountain bike often over some pretty crazy terrain and having a throttle can be invaluable when trying to get up very steep rock and dirt inclines which suddenly appear. Also, throttle once helped me get away from a wild animal that was trying to attack me. I wouldn't own an ebike without a throttle.

I have five ebikes, two with mid drives and they're just as reliable as my hub motor ebikes. The information about mids being less reliable than hubs is false

Last edited:
Bike chains of decent construction cannot break, period. That would require either the shearing of a solid pin (impossible!) or the drifting-out of an unriveted pin (impossible in a properly made chain.)

I had the chain on an expensive Trek MTB break with about 1000 miles on it. The failure mechanism could not be determined because some of the failed chain pieces were lost in the bush. LBS said the remainder of the chain was in good condition, and while not common, broken chains are far from unheard of.

This experience did not prevent me from purchasing a mid-drive bike!

Isn't it great that different bikes have different features, and we can choose what we love and not get what we don't? :)

Throttles are great for some terrain-related needs for some people, for some disability-related needs, some convenience-related needs, and some aging-body-related-needs. And, for some, some fun-related needs!

And, some people hate throttles.

Happy ebiking to one and all, and thanks to manufacturers who have provided us with this dizzying variety of bikes and features to choose form.[/QUOTE]

Isn't it great that different bikes have different features, and we can choose what we love and not get what we don't? :)

Throttles are great for some terrain-related needs for some people, for some disability-related needs, some convenience-related needs, and some aging-body-related-needs. And, for some, some fun-related needs!

And, some people hate throttles.

Happy ebiking to one and all, and thanks to manufacturers who have provided us with this dizzying variety of bikes and features to choose form.

I might have need for a throttle if I didn't have the huge torque of the Bafang Ultra , where shifting is optional in most situations.

Back