Alternative Tyres for Vado 4.0

soram

Hi All,
I have 1,500km on my Vado 4.0 now and got a puncture yesterday. A bit of glass in the tread eventually wore through. It looks like the tyre is worn and starting to show its 3 month age! My commute is through some less social parts of town and there tends to be a lot of glass on the cycle paths. Has anybody any recommendations for alternatives to the Triggers? There seems to be a 700c x 45 Marathon Plus but it looks well heavy. I ran Marathons on my normal bike and never had any issues though through the same landscape. Has anybody tried tubeless and would it be an alternative?

Cheers
Stephen

Will be interesting to read what tires other riders have choosen for their Vados.
I had a puncture on my Vado 4.0 after approx. 2200km and exactly 3months. Picked up the the bike July 19th and had my puncture October 20th. On enclosed pic you can see what had worked its way through the tire and made a small hole in the tube. Didn’t notice anything on my ride home in the evening but next morning the tire was flat. That little pebble is about 3.5mm (1/8 inch).
No puncture protection in the 47mm Trigger tires if you ask me and that’s a bit strange for a bike in that price range. I was looking for new tires but my bike was stolen about a week after I exchanged the tube. Have been thinking maybe Continental Top Contact ll could be an alternative.

Attachments

• 19E4A517-47CD-4B67-AD41-29AAC954E374.jpeg
    19E4A517-47CD-4B67-AD41-29AAC954E374.jpeg
    264 KB · Views: 702
Hi All,
I have 1,500km on my Vado 4.0 now and got a puncture yesterday. A bit of glass in the tread eventually wore through. It looks like the tyre is worn and starting to show its 3 month age! My commute is through some less social parts of town and there tends to be a lot of glass on the cycle paths. Has anybody any recommendations for alternatives to the Triggers? There seems to be a 700c x 45 Marathon Plus but it looks well heavy. I ran Marathons on my normal bike and never had any issues though through the same landscape. Has anybody tried tubeless and would it be an alternative?

Cheers
Stephen
I have done almost 11,000km on MARATHON SUPREME HS 469 running tubeless setup with no flats
https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/marathon_supreme
Highly recommended

I've been running Schwalbe Almotion tires on my Turbo and I've been quite happy. You can check out some reviews on these forums.

They are apparently tubeless ready, but I've been running with tubes since my wheels apparently don't support tubeless (according to Specialized).

Thanks for the recommendations. It basically looks like the Schwalbe Marathon in one form or another is the one. They seem to be market specific though. For now I've ordered one Marathon Plus 700 x 45 as being the closest to the Trigger to see what its like! I know it is a heavy bad boy but I'll see what it looks and feels like. I might then see if I can get hold of an Almotion but the biggest ones seem to be 38s so I'd need to test that on the big rim.....

+1 Almotion in 700x50. I converted my Turbo S wheels to tubeless and love the feel, but YMMV with mounting and dealing with trouble. Currently front one is tubeless and rear has a tube after I couldn't get the tubeless to reseal. If you ride in the wet, the Almotions are vastly better than Marathon Plus. They are however expensive and wear about twice as quickly. Having said that, I have almost 10,000km on the front (with not a lot of wear) and got 6000km out of the rear.

I replaced my wheels with some that are lighter and tubeless ready. I'm running Schwable G-One Speed 2.3's tubeless. The bike is noticeably faster off the line, absorbs shock much better. Not sure about the durability of the tires, but they sure are light.

Back