Alternate Cassette for Yukon 750 (2019 Model)

NevadaRocks

I ordered a Shimano MF-TZ31 cassette and the Park tool FR-1.3 on Amazon last week to increase the rear set of gears to 14-34T for mountain climbing. I had the Yukon on the stand today and removed the rear wheel. That was when the problems started. I quickly realized that the motor connector was quite large and, as it turns out, the 18mm lock nut is even larger in diameter. It is impossible to remove the nut and washers from the power wire. I drilled out the Park tool enough to pass the connector but realized that the lock nut was not going to make it unless I drilled the tool paper thin. I went ahead and finished my other tasks at hand and later thought about cutting a slot in the tool to allow it to slip over the cable. This might weaken the tool to a point that it will not loosen the cassette when torqued. I was just curious if anybody had learned a trick to change out the cassette. Any help would be appreciated.

This came from Voltbike for another user trying on the FaceBook site. Most just change the front which would not help you for lower gearing. Does not sound like the greatest answer.

"To remove freewheel where oversize power chord blocked the use of standard freewheel tool:

Unfortunately this design flaw on some Yukon models requires a modification of a Park FR-1.3 free wheel removal tool
Using a hack saw make single cut through the tool, but not removing a section or slot.
Spread the tool apart with a large flat head screwdriver.
Position tool on the wheel, past the power chord.
Press the tool closed with a large channel lock plier, and carefully slide it into the freewheel splines.
Use a vice or large adjustable wrench to remove the threaded freewheel.

To remove the freewheel tool, use the flat head screwdriver to spread the tool apart again and remove
it from the assembly.

Hope that info helps."

1563202476697.png

Thank you Calicoskies! I do not have a Facebook account so I never would have found this. It certainly describes the issue and the solution very clearly. It looks like the bike will be on the stand tomorrow morning getting a gear upgrade. Thank you again for the answer. Happy cycling!

Thank you Calicoskies! I do not have a Facebook account so I never would have found this. It certainly describes the issue and the solution very clearly. It looks like the bike will be on the stand tomorrow morning getting a gear upgrade. Thank you again for the answer. Happy cycling!
I just did this for my 2019 Yukon 750. I can say it works the way they describe it. I’m new to ebikes and didn’t realize the difference between a freewheel and a cassette. Naturally I ordered a cassette first and then that obviously doesn’t fit so I had to order a freewheel. VoltBike also told me that if you go much above 32 teeth you will need to get a new chain

Just a quick update on my upgrade as described above. I put the 14-34T Shimano cassette on a few weeks ago and all is working fine. I kept the original chain and it shifts with ease and has not created any problems. That 34T gear really gives the bike some climbing power!

I have a VoltBike Yukon 750 and wanted to change the gearing. The 14-28 that came with the bike is flat out wrong for most people. IMO. I bought a 13-34 from Amazon and like others I found the plug too large to accommodate the FR-1.3 Park tool. The VoltBike site suggested taking a punch and hammer to the freewheel gear set and destroying it to get it off.

I used the Calicoskies method and cut a Park FR-1.3. I was a little too rough and split the tool in two. I ordered another an was more careful. Instead of using a wrench I remounted my bench vise to the middle of a worktable. I put the wheel assembly upside down in the vise, put the split side of the Park tool next to one of the vise jaws and twisted the wheel counter clockwise it came off easy.

I have since seen Bolton Electric Bikes make and sells a tool made for VoltBike freewheel removal.

I would suggest to VoltBike they have some of these in stock and offer them at discount to owners who wish to change gearing.

Thank you Calicoskies!

Back