Allant headlight blinking

chrisstankevitz

2020 Allant+ 8s. My LBS modified the light to be turn-affable by holding down the + button. I never turn it off.

Sometimes my headlight is blinking (vs steady on). Anyone know how it decides to blink or stay on steady? Is there an ambient light sensor? Or maybe my wiring is loose šŸ˜¬

2020 Allant+ 8s. My LBS modified the light to be turn-affable by holding down the + button. I never turn it off.

Sometimes my headlight is blinking (vs steady on). Anyone know how it decides to blink or stay on steady? Is there an ambient light sensor? Or maybe my wiring is loose šŸ˜¬
I have heard that the Allant light has an ambient light sensor. It makes sense that it would blink in lighter conditions. Try it in a darker place and see if it goes to a steady on state.

I can confirm - mine is solid/steady light in darker areas - tunnels and highly shaded areas and obviously at night - but blinks in direct daylight.

Mine is still steady and I just had it at the dealer. Guess I will have to get that changed. Like the idea of blinking in daylight, makes you more visible.

Anyone have an update on this issue? I'm facing the same thing, intermittent flashing and not at predictable times w/r to ambient light. And with the smartphone hub, the only light sensor I'm aware of is on the panel which is covered by your smartphone, if mounted, so I don't know how it's supposed to detect the level of light.

Anyone have an update on this issue? I'm facing the same thing, intermittent flashing and not at predictable times w/r to ambient light. And with the smartphone hub, the only light sensor I'm aware of is on the panel which is covered by your smartphone, if mounted, so I don't know how it's supposed to detect the level of light.

I cannot answer your question about the blocked light sensor... but If the light is blinking and you want it to stop -- just turn the high beam on and off.

Mine stays on regardless of how bright the daylight is. No blinking. It was replaced by the shop to correct this. It blinked in the shop but never has since I got it back. This is a nice and bright light but it burns hot. If you touch the light housing while it has been on for a while it is very hot to the touch. It also reduces the bike's battery range by at least 15% and that is on low beam. I never have it on during the day for that reason as I prefer to conserve my electrons for the motor. All in all it is not a good light because of how hungry it is for electrons.

My Allant+7 has the Hermann Black MR light. At my request during the Bosch update the on/off function was activated and works perfectly. Iā€™ve never seen it blink nor have I seen how you can make it blink.
I did have a malfunction (after my recent spill) where the headlight would not work even though the rear light was working fine. After some investigation, I carefully pulled back the wire cover ā€œtubeā€ to find that the connectors were disconnected. I decided to put a bit of dialectic grease into the tube to make it easier to push the ā€œtubeā€ back down the wires, put some grease on the connectors, and reconnected them both before sliding the tube back up toward the light. Iā€™ve put a cable tie at each end of the tube to (hopefully) keep the connectors from being pulled apart again and to (hopefully) keep water from entering the tube.
I tell you this because these connectors could be loose but occasionally still touching, causing your light to flash now and then. Good luck!
B59AB921-DA68-4467-8123-CFB9F81884A2.jpeg

Mine stays on regardless of how bright the daylight is. No blinking. It was replaced by the shop to correct this. It blinked in the shop but never has since I got it back. This is a nice and bright light but it burns hot. If you touch the light housing while it has been on for a while it is very hot to the touch. It also reduces the bike's battery range by at least 15% and that is on low beam. I never have it on during the day for that reason as I prefer to conserve my electrons for the motor. All in all it is not a good light because of how hungry it is for electrons.

The Trek 8+S indeed does have a sensor that controls the "blinking" of the headlight. But this sensor is in the TAIL light! If you are riding with the sun at your back, the headlight starts blinking; but when you change to any other heading, it reverts back to steady "on". I was told that this is how that works, so while on a ride this morning, I confirmed it: While stopped, and the sun at my back, I was able to cause my headlight to blink. I turned the bike 90 degrees and it went to steady "on".

I have an Allant 9.9 and have been scratching my head about the mystery of the blinking light. It does this very well with a nice rhythm. But it seems as if the bike knows when to switch from steady high or low to blinking, but won't give up the mystery. I thought I had it figured out once by double tapping the light icon, but I couldn't duplicate it. It would be great to have a software update so it could be controlled, as I would like it flashing 99% of the time. So on my next ride I will try the "sun at my back" routine ... but I would still like a software update!

I have an Allant 9.9 and have been scratching my head about the mystery of the blinking light. It does this very well with a nice rhythm. But it seems as if the bike knows when to switch from steady high or low to blinking, but won't give up the mystery. I thought I had it figured out once by double tapping the light icon, but I couldn't duplicate it. It would be great to have a software update so it could be controlled, as I would like it flashing 99% of the time. So on my next ride I will try the "sun at my back" routine ... but I would still like a software update!

there should be a sensor inside the tail light so when the sun is behind you the light will blink. I have tested it on my 8S and it blinks when a flash light or the sunlight is directly in the tail alight. Agree on you on the update to hopefully let us decide if it blinks or stays on.

Mine has blinked a couple of times (for a few minutes) when I was riding around sunset. I think itā€™s designed to blink when the sun is low, obviosuly for visibility purposes.

A flashlight works? Must admit I find it rather silly that it only blinks when the light is behind. Blinking headlight should be a selectable mode for any good lighting system to be used when the rider feels itā€™s needed.
Well, I decided to try the ā€˜blinking light via flashlightā€˜ test in my house. No blinks. NADA...nothing. My guess is the Trek designers thought we Allant+7 owners just donā€™t need the same level of safety a blinking headlight provides the higher end Allant owners.šŸ¤“

Well, I decided to try the ā€˜blinking light via flashlightā€˜ test in my house. No blinks. NADA...nothing. My guess is the Trek designers thought we Allant+7 owners just donā€™t need the same level of safety a blinking headlight provides the higher end Allant owners.šŸ¤“
Did you use a yellow light bulb? Not like the bright white ones ? Because the bright white does not work. Try using a yellow bulb

Frankly Iā€™m quite sure it wonā€™t work. Certainly not in cases where I think it should work. Color temperature subtleties between white and yellow are not going to make any difference. IMO, Trek failed in this light design.

The Trek 8+S indeed does have a sensor that controls the "blinking" of the headlight. But this sensor is in the TAIL light! If you are riding with the sun at your back, the headlight starts blinking; but when you change to any other heading, it reverts back to steady "on". I was told that this is how that works, so while on a ride this morning, I confirmed it: While stopped, and the sun at my back, I was able to cause my headlight to blink. I turned the bike 90 degrees and it went to steady "on".
So exactly what light head/tail light combo does your 8+s have?

So exactly what light head/tail light combo does your 8+s have?
My 2020 Allant+8s has the SmartPhone Hub, and the headlight is a Trek Lync (500 lumens), and the tailight is a Trek Lync (50 lumens). I couldn't get the flashlight trick to trigger flashing mode: the only thing that worked was natural sunlight, coming from the rear. Whoever designed this system needs to have their head looked at.

Back