Allant+ 9.9S Trigger Shifter-Ongoing, unresolved..NOW, somewhat resolved

GuruUno

I previously posted within another discussion my ongoing dissatisfaction with the amount of effort to 'push' the trigger shifter on the new Allant+ 9.9S.
Back when the bike was at the NYC Trek store and I made a special trip to test it out before the commitment to acquire it, I did notice the difficulty that was being exerted to downshift by pressing the Shimano XT M8100, 12 Speed. Having previously owned 2 Trek Super Commuter 8's, the difference between the 2 models is day and night.
All persons involved in any discussion say "it'll break in, it'll get better". It has not.
Another Allant+ 9.9S owner here has identical experiences and comparisons.
I called Shimano, no real answer.
He called Shimano, no real solution.
I stopped in 2 different Trek bike shops, got different contributions as to the opinion.
Some say it's the new internal routing of the cables.
Others say it's the plastic or other coating on the cables.
One suggestion is to consider a M9100 shifter at a cost.
Bottom line here is I'm told that if you disconnect the cable at the derailleur, the effort to use the shifter should be almost exactly similar with minimal effort.
It is not.
I'm at wit's end, and before I tie my new investment up in the LBS for days, weeks, or who know how long, and it is the "test patient" to figure out what is what, does anyone have the magic answer or does Trek R&D need to go back to the drawing board and do a massive recall of the defective product that is being sold?

Well, 2/9/2020 took the bike out for a 30 mile ride, all appears to be much, much better, improved. Less resistance to downshift, less thumb pain from less resistance. LBS says they put on new cable and housing. Bike was flawless perfect riding from Bulls Island NJ to Upper Black Eddy, PA and back yesterday. I am in love again, so I guess that as long as she continues to cooperate, I'll keep her.

Last edited:
Why not Just change the shifter And have the shop pay For it ?
Or just pay out of pocket. Another 100$+ In order to have it work flawlessly is not A big issue.
Is a new ebike, the Allant, is normal to have some issues.

I just realized yessterday that all my Abus locks(500$ total) are totally useless For a angle grinder in Nyc.
I have to buY titanium Grade 5 U Lock or chainS ,or the SAF altor lock in order to have the ebike safe.

I asked the LBS manager to "do his homework" regarding the problem.
No follow-up, resolve, since the day I got it.

I very rarely use the dealer or LBS except when needing to install a new chain, casette, pedals, cables , a new fork or a crankset.
I CAN maintain or install everything else: rotors, pads, flat, shifters, lights , fix the controller/battery/charger IF needed.
For some it may be very easy but for me the hardest part of working on an bike is changing the pedals😉( well, i do not have a bike stand , but also just lazy to get the right wrench and learn how to do it properly).
Anyway , that is only done 1x /bike, in the beginning, from the vastly inferior brand most bikes come with , to a Shimano Saint/Dura ace pedal set.

Having an ebike , even a high end one is very much a DIY ongoing project. It took me about 2 years to master it, almost ready now to build a battery pack if needed.
Many bike shops even flat out refuse to work on an ebike or give the refusal if that ebike has not been purchased from their shop/dealer.

I contacted Trek today. I reviewed the items discussed here. They said they will "look into it".
I ask if anyone else having similar issues with the trigger shifter problem, please also make it know here too so it can be referenced.

I have sc8 shifting easy and smooth ... I took a test ride on the 9.9s and i have to agree with you on how stiff it is.

As someone in the market vacillating between the 9s and Vado5 I wonder if the Allant 8s has the same shifter problem?

As someone in the market vacillating between the 9s and Vado5 I wonder if the Allant 8s has the same shifter problem?

I’m doing the same comparison. Test rode an Allant+ 8s right after a supercommuter 8s and didn’t notice anything odd about the shifting. Haven’t tried a 9.9s yet.

Contacted Trek Corporate last week. Followed up again yesterday. Zero addressable suggestions, contributions or solutions, so far.

I previously posted within another discussion my ongoing dissatisfaction with the amount of effort to 'push' the trigger shifter on the new Allant+ 9.9S.
Back when the bike was at the NYC Trek store and I made a special trip to test it out before the commitment to acquire it, I did notice the difficulty that was being exerted to downshift by pressing the Shimano XT M8100, 12 Speed. Having previously owned 2 Trek Super Commuter 8's, the difference between the 2 models is day and night.
All persons involved in any discussion say "it'll break in, it'll get better". It has not.
Another Allant+ 9.9S owner here has identical experiences and comparisons.
I called Shimano, no real answer.
He called Shimano, no real solution.
I stopped in 2 different Trek bike shops, got different contributions as to the opinion.
Some say it's the new internal routing of the cables.
Others say it's the plastic or other coating on the cables.
One suggestion is to consider a M9100 shifter at a cost.
Bottom line here is I'm told that if you disconnect the cable at the derailleur, the effort to use the shifter should be almost exactly similar with minimal effort.
It is not.
I'm at wit's end, and before I tie my new investment up in the LBS for days, weeks, or who know how long, and it is the "test patient" to figure out what is what, does anyone have the magic answer or does Trek R&D need to go back to the drawing board and do a massive recall of the defective product that is being sold?
If you disconnected it and it's still exactly teh same . Then You've boiled it down to cable and Shiftier (Either or both) MAKE THEM REPLACE IT : I don't understand why they haven't offered that option Yet. It does sound like the cable might be kinked inside the Frame : Disconnect The cable from the SHifter : If it's still stiff it's Obviously the Shifter . If not The cable. For $6000 I'd be aggressively pursuing it :

I don't know what is taking place when you go back to your Place of Purchase. But it sounds like they are to lazy to solve what sounds like a No Brainer : IMO it appears like the cable : When I was in the Business 99% of Shift Issues were a result of teh cable : The Shifter itself isn't a Mechanical Mystery : If you disconnect the cable at the shifter and it frees up. They you know it's the Cable. If it doesn't you have a Faulty Shifter >

I believe I told you before : It's a Peddle Bike with a Motor : The problem you described doesn't involve anything but what they have been fixing on Bicycles for decades : Or Buy the part yourself . Fix it and then make them give you money back. You are being to nice :

I used to fix Bikes for a Living : It's very possible they had a slight issue feeding the cable thru and put a kink in it : That used to happen every now and then. You could pull out the cable yourself and check. It's not that hard to put it back in. OR LIKE I SAID : MAKE THEM.

I would disconnect both ends : Not always but normally a kink in the cable that would cause issue would likely be close to one end or the other : So you should be able to test that . Just be careful not to let either end go past where you can't pull it back out :

Last edited:
LBS manager offered to call me to work a solution. We shall see. I sure do hop they resolve it. Thanks for your input Rick53

LBS manager offered to call me to work a solution. We shall see. I sure do hop they resolve it. Thanks for your input Rick53
I hope they fix it for you > They should since what I mentioned I'm sure they know themselves : Best of Luck

Well....I was told that the bike was ready. I went. It is not. They say the loosened the internal "clutch" or something to that effect internal to the derailleur, and it made no difference. Even with them holding the cable at the end by the derailleur in a loop to release all tension, it's still hard to press. Here is the kicker. Next to my bike in the service stand was another model of a Trek (sorry, don't remember which one), and the shifter was like silk smooth butter. I then had them put an Allant 8S on the stand, same stiffness. I declare it a design flaw. They tell me the silky smooth one is a el cheapo 7 speed version. Trek corporate tells me that the "higher level Schimano derailleur has stiffer springs so it does not wear out?
I find it all too baffling and overwhelming.
Hopefully a solution is found, or I'm out of options.

Just got off the phone with Shimano....bottom line; they tell me that the shifter used on the Allant 9.9S is for MOUNTAIN BIKES, NOT commuters or road bikes.
With that being said, we have a problem here, don't we?
I'm sure tons of others can chime in and give their thoughts and opinions, but come on, really?
However, not to be negative, if so, then what would be the solution, what would be the resolve, how can this problem be solved?

They talk BS. My commuter Vado 5 is equipped with Shimano SLX 11 gear MTB group and the drive-train and the shifter work smoothly. I really don't know what could be wrong with your system...

Just got off the phone with Shimano....bottom line; they tell me that the shifter used on the Allant 9.9S is for MOUNTAIN BIKES, NOT commuters or road bikes.
With that being said, we have a problem here, don't we?
I'm sure tons of others can chime in and give their thoughts and opinions, but come on, really?
However, not to be negative, if so, then what would be the solution, what would be the resolve, how can this problem be solved?
Firstly this could happen to any of us with any bike manufacturer, very sad to hear about your shifter troubles not getting resolved. I can understand manufacturer's using components that are more robust than others but to not see a potential issue is a flaw imo. A lot of the Ebike market is being driven by baby boomers and people with health issues just trying to enjoy the freedom an ebike provides. This aging demographic must be taken into account and bike companies will do well to keep this target group appeased. Im not saying the OP is a blue hair but clearly a shifter designed for an emtb vs a commuter as the model is marketed as then i would think there's an opportunity for Trek to show how they care for their customers. My hands don't work like they did when i was younger (55 yrs of age) and if my shifting thumb couldn't hold up to what should be a smooth easy motion then i would be playing the safety card. I really hope Trek steps up and makes this right for you, this should be a no brainer.

Just an FYi, my wife got a new Stromer just for the DI2 electronic shifter due to her thumbs not being able,to shift a smooth regular shifter, , not telling her age but she retired as of today...I am looking at bikes with a Rolhof system. It has a twist shifter. I could not shift timely, easily or appropriately when test riding , too stiff for my almost 64 year old hands. the owner said he could put on a trigger shifter instead...leaning his way Pushkar and Wattwagon

Last edited:
Back