Allant 9.9s rack bolt

Kevmk81

Something has bugged me about my Allant 9.9s since the day i brought it home. The fender is off kilter by probably quarter to half an inch. Enough that I see tire tread on the rear tire where there should just be a fender in sight. So today I started to troubleshoot the rack and fender interface. I unbolted the torx bolt that holds the rack onto the fender, only to find out that it won't unscrew the rest of the way and now it won't even tighten back up :-| Thoughts? Did i just ruin that rack to fender connection?

Just went out to take a look at mine. It is off as well a bit. Have not done anything.

One other thing I mentioned to the LBS. When out riding, the cell phone holder bolts worked loose. Lost one, but the other worked loose as well and lost the nut. Took the bolt to a hardware store, and replaced the bolt and added a nut with a nylon insert that will not come loose. You might want to have your LBS put a bit of Loctite on those bolts. They work loose as you naturally adjust the angle of the cell phone.

(Link Removed - Attachment No Longer Exists) (Link Removed - Attachment No Longer Exists)

Thanks Rob for the update. I actually decided to ditch that interface. I just use the hub without a phone. I like to track where I go and whatnot and I even like to be able to gauge calorie burn and things like that even though I use this bike as a commuter I still like to get a workout. I have a wahoo Tickr and use Wahoos fitness app - i start tracking - put the phone in a pocket - and go on my way. When I upload I have my data. I just don't trust that phone to hub connection :-( I'd really like to use it though. Let me know how it holds up on future rides. Would loctite work on those bolts or are they too tiny? I seem to remember they're tiny little screws.

As far as the fenders not being straight - it's interesting that you're saying yours is off as well. So I did figure out how to tighten the rack back onto the fender. I took the rear wheel off - applied pressure under the fender directly under the bolt I needed screwed - then used a torx wrench to tighten back down that bolt. I think whatever is under that just needed pressure to keep it from moving around or something.

Now as far as the fender being off - I ended up just taking 3 washers - added those in addition to that spacer they have in the rack to frame connection. That fixed it a bit but it's still off! I'm not going to bother for now - i'm happy with how it is for now. I have a bit of OCD I guess. lol

What's interesting though - the light that's on the fender - it's not pointing straight back - there's now just a tiny but of an aim to the rear left!!! It's almost like it's by design I guess? Just kind of odd. :-o So it's either a rear light pointing straight back - or it's a bit of a straighter fender. hmm.... lol

Here's the pic. I'm thinking of leaving it like this. I'd rather have better coverage from wet roads. I can always add a better rear light that's pointed more towards traffic vs away like it is now :-( I think it's definitely by design though

Attachments

• thumbnail_image0.jpg
    thumbnail_image0.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 341
I have the 8s. You can fix the taillight (I did). Take off the rear wheel. Remove two little philips head screws from the plastic piece at the bottom/rear of the fender. Slide out the long thin plastic "wire cover" that runs along the underside of the fender. That will reveal the screw used to hold the rear light. Loosen the screw, point the light in the correct direction, and retighten.

I also noticed the rack screw was hard to remove. In my case it was because the rack did not naturally want to sit where the screw was holding it -- and consequently was "torquing" to apply a lot of friction on the screw. It will be obvious when you get the screw out -- the rack will "snap" to its natural location... and you'll have to pressure it to go back to the right place to put it all together.

I have the 8s. You can fix the taillight (I did). Take off the rear wheel. Remove two little philips head screws from the plastic piece at the bottom/rear of the fender. Slide out the long thin plastic "wire cover" that runs along the underside of the fender. That will reveal the screw used to hold the rear light. Loosen the screw, point the light in the correct direction, and retighten.

I also noticed the rack screw was hard to remove. In my case it was because the rack did not naturally want to sit where the screw was holding it -- and consequently was "torquing" to apply a lot of friction on the screw. It will be obvious when you get the screw out -- the rack will "snap" to its natural location... and you'll have to pressure it to go back to the right place to put it all together.

Makes sense! So I actually tried removing that plastic piece at the bottom/rear of the fender. I couldn't get the thing to come out after I removed the screws. I didn't want to bust a plastic piece so it wasn't worth it to me to potentially break that finishing fender piece. But if it only takes some elbow grease and/or tools to get more grip on it - I'll try it again... I'm assuming you just pull it straight out or is there some trick to it?

I was worried too, but it came off... no big deal... Just pull harder. 1) Remove screws 2) Pull plastic "bottom cap" off 3) remove long thin center cover

Back