Age demography for members.

Age bracket

• Total voters
I guess I am one of the young ones here at 55. My Wife and I own a Volt Yukon 750lt and an Volt Elegant which we got at the beginning of Aug.

Like Balemonkey I ride a Yukon 750 Ltd. 49 yrs old.
Interestingly when my 15yr old daughter heard I was getting an ebike, she told me that she intended to get one when she leaves home. She had done a school project on what get lifestyle would be like when she is in her 20's. She could tell me what the annual cost of ebiking was and was determined that ebikng was the way of the future. So you might see the average age of ebikers fall dramatically in the future.

On one of our recent trail rides, I met a 84 year old man riding a non-electric road bike. He said he was sad that he recently had to eliminate "long" rides because of bladder problems. Said he gave up RAGBRAI 2 years ago after riding it for a consecutive 20-something years! I then realized that he and I had very different perceptions of "long rides", as I was feeling proud of being able to do 25 mile rides on my e-bike :D

I believe most of us were fond of riding bicycles when we were younger but are currently not that fit anymore or are suffering from some sort of ailments / handicaps.

For me, ebike is my natural anti depressant and keeps me relatively fit. I always look forward for my next ride and even plan weeks ahead.

At one point, I did not have time to change my work clothes and went straight to the trail. I was on my formal leather shoes, dress pants, longs sleeves (just took off my neck tie). I felt like Clark Kent overtaking the spandex wearing cyclists.

I believe most of us were fond of riding bicycles when we were younger but are currently not that fit anymore or are suffering from some sort of ailments / handicaps.

For me, ebike is my natural anti depressant and keeps me relatively fit. I always look forward for my next ride and even plan weeks ahead.

At one point, I did not have time to change my work clothes and went straight to the trail. I was on my formal leather shoes, dress pants, longs sleeves (just took off my neck tie). I felt like Clark Kent overtaking the spandex wearing cyclists.
HA! I think we're talking about a movement here, as Arlo Guthrie once said...

I don't Facebook/snapchat/instagram; but, I imagine most of the younger ebikers might be found there?

There is a facebook group called fast electric bikes and they tout their high powered ebikes there. It's more like the Luna cycle crowd. That's were the younger ebikers are likely to gravitate.

Not to give a bad name to Luna, it's just that they sell overpowered ebikes. I even bought my full suspension ebike with BBSHD from them which I later detuned for civil use, drivetrain life, and longer battery range.

Last edited:
What seems apparent is a lot of the upscale ebike manufacturers discriminate against older riders. They see their future market to be younger. The image of an active 65 year old, as portrayed by pharmaceutical ads, doesn’t help the situation. They also neglect to realize it’s the baby boomer generation who have the time and money.

What seems apparent is a lot of the upscale ebike manufacturers discriminate against older riders. They see their future market to be younger. The image of an active 65 year old, as portrayed by pharmaceutical ads, doesn’t help the situation. They also neglect to realize it’s the baby boomer generation who have the time and money.

Exactly, most of the younger crowd prefer the affordable DIY route since many of them don't have stable income yet.

People near the retiring age or are already retired are the most likely to have the extra dough (and the need) to buy the premium quality brands.

Last edited:
I'm 59 and just got my first ebike 1 month ago. I ride everyday since I got it. I like what one guy said that it's his antidepressant. I can agree with that. I love my bike and wish I had bought one sooner. My 26 year old son thinks my bike is cool but would rather spend thousands on home brew beer making supplies. Funny he never has any beer when I go see him.

Younger people use bikes because they have to - either students or other urban commuters that can't afford a car, especially with parking costs. Most of them use exactly "bikes" - ebikes are too expensive for this age segment. When they buy an ebike, it's often a nondescript Chinese import that serves the only purpose - getting around. Just a tool, not much to debate or vote. At least, this is the picture I see in this part of North America. Could be different in Europe.

There is no provision for 80+. I've made it to 81 and another guy I often ride with is 82. Both on EMTB. Tomorrow (Friday) we are off to Rotorua to ride one of their areas. 58 mt tracks in the forest. check it out with 'Trailforks,'

79 next month and so very happy to have an e-bike and a group so helpful. The seat could be higher but I ride so sitting , I can just drag my shoes if need be. Feel very safe about dismounting. I have a mid-frame PIM. Finally realized I could lift my leg through the frame. Easiest of all, put the bike on the ground first!

Back