Age demography for members.

Age bracket

• Total voters
I'm 70+ and in my 70 years i have ridden much of the world on a motorcycle last year I gave up the motorcycle and bought a RAD Rhino it's a fantastic machine,it keeps me fit and healthy,is easy to service and maintain and my wife rides too (she has the British Volt).Life as a retired old cart is slow,relaxed,peaceful,comfortable and a lot of fun and adventure,highly recommended whatever your choice of e bike

Oh man. Not sure where the bigger grin will come from. The RV or the bike! Both are pretty serious grin generators......

Ordered a RAD Mini last night. So I'll be back on a bike after 40+ years. Already have the big grin just from placing the orders for the bike and the RV don't know how much bigger they can get after I actually get to use them.

Just don't be too disappointed to find that RV is going to require some shaking down to get it to where you can really start trusting it....

I knew I was one of the younger ones at 28, but didn't realize this forum was so 50+ bias. I guess it makes sense because most people my age (including me) can ride a regular bike just fine, so there is less of a need for e-bikes.

I have gotten a few comments like "you don't need an e-bike, you are so young", but then I tell them I ride it 20 miles a day for work commuting and then they understand. I hope more people my age realize how great of a commuting tool e-bikes really are, I suspect a lot of people my age could make bike commuting work if they had an e-bike.

@chriskmee , my 13 year old and 16 year old have ebikes! They ride them MUCH more than they did their conventional bikes. Lots of cycling when they were little kids, and then .... no more. Now lots more cycling by everybody!!!!

I do think it is a need, in the sense that the ebike makes getting places without a car work great. Cycling? Well, yeah, if you want to arrive all sweaty!!!!

Cycle on! :) Glad to have you here, and spreading the word about transforming transportation amongst the 20-something crowd!!!

Not quite 67, looking to get my first ebike. Both for exercise and as supplemental transportation for the new RV I just ordered.
You are going to love both. We spent almost seven years full-timing in an Rv. Have been off the road about ten years now but a lifetime of memories. Did not have ebike then but took mountain bikes everywhere. Just getting started on a Powerfly 5 at 73 and feeling twenty years younger.

Aside from mtb's, cycling demographics almost always skews older.

MTB riders are often from a bmx background, and obviously, there are very few older bmx riders lol. But mtb riding is far more physically demanding, with a ton of climbing and its a great upper body workout. For about a decade or so, suspension didn't exist in the mtb market, so there was that added factor as well.

College racing teams are an exception as well, but I've always been befuddled as to why cycling ranks so low in popularity among sports for 20's and 30's adults. I'm sure cost is a factor to some degree, but if young adults are willing to drop $500 a weekend a few times a year for skiing, is a one time purchase of a $2K road bike all that expensive in comparison? EDC is what, $800 for a single ticket?

I've attended occasional cycling meetings since college and the groups always skew tends an overwhelming majority of seniors.

Cycling is great fun, I just don't know why the sport attracts so few young adults.

I knew I was one of the younger ones at 28, but didn't realize this forum was so 50+ bias. I guess it makes sense because most people my age (including me) can ride a regular bike just fine, so there is less of a need for e-bikes.

I have gotten a few comments like "you don't need an e-bike, you are so young", but then I tell them I ride it 20 miles a day for work commuting and then they understand. I hope more people my age realize how great of a commuting tool e-bikes really are, I suspect a lot of people my age could make bike commuting work if they had an e-bike.

Sure, but it doesn't explain why young adults are so heavily underrepresented among road cyclists. I've attended meetings for the two cycling clubs closest to me. One had maybe 10-15% of attendees under 35, and the other club was 10% or less, or maybe that was just wishful thinking on my part.

Rode my regular crossover bike to work for a long time before I retired, 15 miles each way every day. No problem except the final mile before my house had a Killer Hill, only about a 1/4 mile long but so steep that for years I only made it about 1/3rd of the way, then walked the rest. One day after about a year of this I decided I was going to make it all the way, well was down to rocking back and forth and standing on the pedals but I made it! Funny thing is after that day I never walked it again, and it felt really good to beat that beast.
Now I don't know if I could do it, at 76 I have slowed a little, we still RV all summer and stay active but on hills even walking at a fast pace I can feel the strain a bit more. So a electric bike really appeals to me now. Wont go off road much most likely but here in Or. hills are all over the place.

Aside from mtb's, cycling demographics almost always skews older.

MTB riders are often from a bmx background, and obviously, there are very few older bmx riders lol. But mtb riding is far more physically demanding, with a ton of climbing and its a great upper body workout. For about a decade or so, suspension didn't exist in the mtb market, so there was that added factor as well.

College racing teams are an exception as well, but I've always been befuddled as to why cycling ranks so low in popularity among sports for 20's and 30's adults. I'm sure cost is a factor to some degree, but if young adults are willing to drop $500 a weekend a few times a year for skiing, is a one time purchase of a $2K road bike all that expensive in comparison? EDC is what, $800 for a single ticket?

I've attended occasional cycling meetings since college and the groups always skew tends an overwhelming majority of seniors.

Cycling is great fun, I just don't know why the sport attracts so few young adults.

EDC is $300

EDC is $300

I was thinking of the VIP price. However:

GA is $320 + taxes + fees + airfare + hotel + uber + food + drinks + merch + ? ? ? ? = ?????

Add more for GA+ or VIP. Not to mention these prices are a full calendar year in advance so who knows what tier pricing will be closer to the event.

Realistically, $800 is a bare-bones budget booking many months in advance.

I’m have been an avid bike rider for most of my life and got my first ebike about a week before my 60th Birthday this year. I still ride a regular bike and totally love my ebike too. Wind and hills are no longer as unpleasant when I use the ebike. Barring any illness I will be using an ebike, at the very least, for the rest of my life.

My 11-y-o son has an ebike. But not so much English knowledge (or interest) to be on this forum. At 36, I definitely feel young here... but I think it's also worth mentioning that price of ebikes is a major barrier to entry, still.

I bought my EG Zurich 350IX just after turning 60 y/o. A few months away from turning 65, I can hardly believe how fast time flies. My wife says there is no better time than now to get that new e-bike. I've been waiting for that next model with all the features I want.

Last edited:
I'm 80 and have two ebikes plus my 12 year old Kona conventional. I competed in the early days of mountain biking and they called me gramps even then. I have a Haibike Sduro Trekking 9 plus a Pedego Platinum Interceptor, both bikes are great with good customer service. Oh, I ride my conventional bike as much or more than I do the e-bikes.

Oh, I rode, raced, and restored vintage motorcycles for decades, I sold off my last seven motorbikes last year it was getting harder to ride with my failing vision.

Last edited:
Back