Aftermarket rack and fenders for Turbo Vado SL

CLHall

Hey all. I just bought a Turbo Vado SL (in red) 4.0. I would have bought the EQ if I’d been able to get it, it comes with rack and fenders... but, silly me... I figured if it HAD the ability to come WITH them, certainly I could ADD the damn things. Not so fast, apparently. It does say it is “rack time” compatable” but there are no eyelets on the thing (there is a fender eyelet) and who knows how to make which one fit. I’m not rack savvy... I bought it to do touring and am now wishing I’d just bought the EQ. Honestly, I’d rather have a Tubus rack on there, I want something aesthetically pleasing, but whatever. Help!

Have you asked the dealer? They don't show the fender kit on the Specialized web site but the dealer access may show something. I don't particularly like Specialized fenders in wet weather (Turbo S) but they've integrated the rack and fender. You may be able to use P-clamps on the seat stays for a Tubus or Racktime but it won't have the sleek look. (I prefer Tubus too.) I tend to think their fenders are designed by someone who's never ridden much in the rain and they have too much form and not quite enough function. I've ordered the EQ version in spite of this.

Here is another example of how to connect a rack to a bike without eyelets:

or

I think the Salsa looks better but the Sunlite has a view of one installed so you can see the idea.

The fenders should not be much of a problem. It will be a little crowded on the rack/fender eyelet on the dropout with the fender stays and rack on the same attachment with a longer bolt.

I mounted the exact vado SL rack on my wife's SL without fenders, as she doesn't like fenders.
Mike's bikes sold the rack, though specialized stores can order it, but they say it won't work without the fenders, as they would refuse to do this simple customization.
I made a simple part that utilizes the SL mounting place under the seat inside the rear wheel stays (see pics and my other post)

Attachments

• IMG_4323.JPEG
    IMG_4323.JPEG
    891.2 KB · Views: 1,848
Friends,

Please help. Find a popular aftermarket rack and make advice how to mount it on Vado SL non-EQ. (A question from a person who wants to buy the non-EQ).

Well that’s a wildcard question. I think @RobAtl has an elegant solution. If you don’t like that one only needs to search Amazon for two minutes:

etc etc. plus a conventional rack.

or go the easy route:

I would suggest getting the EQ version if it exists in inventory. E.G. I didn’t realize the EQ fenders were so nice until the bike arrived. In the beginning I imagined just removing them. But actually they are an excellent design!

I would suggest getting the EQ version if it exists in inventory.
If that existed in the inventory, my contact wouldn't need to ask me.
Unfortunately, the Specialized rack and mudguard set is not available, either.

or go the easy route:
It is not so easy to find a good standard rack. After some verification of the size etc., I recommended this
PLETSCHER Quick-Rack system pannier rack

It is a Swiss-made thing that I use on one of my e-bikes. It mounts to the rear triangle with M5 screws, and is supported at the seatpost in the front, with quick release. The rack is rock solid, with the rated load of 25 kg. The rack is available in several Polish online stores, making it easy for my contact to buy.

I didn’t realize the EQ fenders were so nice until the bike arrived. In the beginning I imagined just removing them. But actually they are an excellent design!
As long as Drytech mudguards are used in urban environment, they are perfect. However, a single trip to a forest makes you start cursing. Any little twig gets entangled between the wheel and the fender, making the wheel abruptly stop rotating. Pebbles nastily rattle inside, and mud accumulates rapidly there. All because of tight clearance between the fender and the wheel; and because of extremely long front wheel mudflap (which is otherwise beneficial in heavy rain).

If I could choose again, I would buy the non-EQ version and modded it, especially by using leaf-type "ass-saver" or "blade" detachable MTB mudguards.

I mounted the exact vado SL rack on my wife's SL without fenders, as she doesn't like fenders.
Mike's bikes sold the rack, though specialized stores can order it, but they say it won't work without the fenders, as they would refuse to do this simple customization.
I made a simple part that utilizes the SL mounting place under the seat inside the rear wheel stays (see pics and my other post)
I just received my Vado SL 4.0 and am absolutely thrilled, but the lack of seat stay mounts are my only complaint. What kind of commuter doesn't have rear rack mounts?!

What kind of commuter doesn't have rear rack mounts?!
Vado SL has never been a commuter e-bike. It is a fitness e-bike. Fitness e-bikes are to be ridden without fenders or rack.

Highly specialized ones - like the Vado SL. 🤣
Ye Goode Olde Specialized certainly know their specialties :)

1630313835189.png

I think the only reasonable thing to do is to order the fender and rack set from the Specialized dealer.

Back