Affordable Step Through Bike for City

My discount code is ESPINSQUAD-ANZTFK. (It is $50.00 off). Whatever bike you get I hope you enjoy it. We have three e bikes now, my daughters Lectric xp step thru (we got that bike because she is only 5'4" and only rides shorter distances), my Espin Sport and my son's Ride1up 500. We liked our Espin so much we ordered an Espin Nero for my husband who wanted a fat tire bike. I know what you mean about rough roads and pot holes. I mostly ride on the road.

Last edited:
My discount code is ESPINSQUAD-ANZTFK. (It is $50.00 off). Whatever bike you get I hope you enjoy it. We have three e bikes now, my daughters Lectric xp step thru (we got that bike because she is only 5'4" and only rides shorter distances), my Espin Sport and my son's Ride1up 500. We liked our Espin so much we ordered an Espin Nero for my husband who wanted a fat tire bike. I know what you mean about rough roads and pot holes. I mostly ride on the road.
This is great--thank you!

My wife rides the Espin Flow and I ride the ride1up 500, they are both excellent bikes, and especially for the price. The one benefit of the Espin Flow is that it has hydraulic brakes, which are like power brakes compared to the mechanical disc brakes on the 500. Lots of reviews on YouTube and on this blog, Happy Hunting.
We just signed up for an Espin Flow for my wife - our 4th ebike. The Bafang (name brand) motor, great looks due to the battery style, battery capacity, the hydraulic brakes, even the swept back (wrist friendly) handlebars made it a no brainer for us in this price category. Sure there's better, but not in this price range... -Al

Reactions: BET
We just signed up for an Espin Flow for my wife - our 4th ebike. The Bafang (name brand) motor, great looks due to the battery style, battery capacity, the hydraulic brakes, even the swept back (wrist friendly) handlebars made it a no brainer for us in this price category. Sure there's better, but not in this price range... -Al

Nice work Hicks! Just curious, I have a Sport on order from early October. What lead time were you quoted on your Flow? I received a text from a friend the other day asking "what is a good ebike for a Grandma"?

Espin has expected delivery times on its web site for each model. Flow ordered Oct. expected delivery end on Nov.

Espin has expected delivery times on its web site for each model. Flow ordered Oct. expected delivery end on Nov.

Hi BET, would you happen to know the Espin cancellation policy. I ordered another Sport early Oct and I'm thinking of canceling.

I just looked. On web site it now has a cancellation policy, like Ride1up. 3 per cent processing fee for cancellation. So maybe $36. So your Sport ordered estimated delivery end of Nov.

Hi BET, would you happen to know the Espin cancellation policy. I ordered another Sport early Oct and I'm thinking of canceling.
Do not know why you want to cancel. Looking for a different bike ? I hear from other posts on ebr forum that they have the Espin Reine in stock. Step thru, swept back handle bars, mid drive motor, very responsive, long range. Good review on ebr. FYI.

Nice work Hicks! Just curious, I have a Sport on order from early October. What lead time were you quoted on your Flow? I received a text from a friend the other day asking "what is a good ebike for a Grandma"?
Wife is a grandma several times over. She's excited. We've been considering more expensive bikes, but when you put the bike next to the price here, clearly there is real value.

That said, I could care less about support from the time I see the bike intact and running. I'll take it from there. Makes little difference here how good, or bad, Espin support turns out to be. With the fact I don't care about support, makes this purchase much easier.

Reactions: BET
Do not know why you want to cancel. Looking for a different bike ? I hear from other posts on ebr forum that they have the Espin Reine in stock. Step thru, swept back handle bars, mid drive motor, very responsive, long range. Good review on ebr. FYI.
Im not dead set on cancelling, I just would like a bike before December...

I purchased the NCM Munich from Lyon Cycle in Nov. 2020. It was very easy to assemble and the quality and features are great for city and suburban riding. Very comfortable seat and handgrips. Very easy to operate.

Check out my unboxing, assembly and review of this electric bike at

Quality, performance, comfort, style, value, customer service and price make this a winner for urban/suburban electric biking. The open frame makes it very easy to get on and off for all. The rear wheel lock is a great feature but you still need a lock to attach the bike to something to deter theft. The bike is powerful and easy to operate. The first time you use it, you will be surprised at the quick take off and smooth operation!
I highly recommend the NCM Munich and Leon Cycle.

Congratulations! Good call. We have been waiting for one too. Shouldn't be long now....

I'm seeking my first electric bike and want advice please. I'm looking for:

- A step through bike that has a comfortable ride
- Good shocks (since NYC has a lot of potholes)
- Cost less than 1500
- Removable battery.
- It doesn't need to be able to go above 20 MPH.

Everytime I find a bike that looks perfect (eg. the NCM Munich bike) it turns out they are out of stock for months (especially since I'm tall so I always need a medium frame). I was also thinking about the Aventon 350 Pace step through but then saw it didn't have shocks and I would like a comfortable ride. I'd prefer not to have the cruiser handle bars. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Maxfoot Cruiser $1300, you can change handle bars easily. It will fit a pretty big person.

Also the Aventon Pace 350
I think you would like one of the choices other than Aventon Pace 350. Many complain that on the Aventon you cannot use your throttle from a complete stop, unlike your other choices. Throttles that work from complete stop are good to get you going at intersections or if you have to stop on an incline. Also some complain that the Aventon PAS is abrupt and bike goes too fast in PAS 1. The Aventon Pace 350 also has a weaker 350 w motor compared to the 500 w on the other bikes. Ride 1up and Flow do not ride as fast in PAS 1 and you can program the Ride1up, perhaps the Flow, to go slower in various PAS levels. We have an Espin Sport, non step thru twin of Flow, and a Ride1up 500. Both good bikes. They have similar front fork shocks. I think the Espin is a better deal with included fenders, lights, rear rack, semi concealed battery and hydraulic brakes.

It's unfortunate that the Munich is out of stock. A great bike at a great price. You can engage the motor at a full stop without pedal assist as low as power level 1. The Leon Cycle web page states they will have a new step through model with improvements but doesn't specify them or when it will be available. It may be worth waiting for. Give them a call. New pricing is unknown. I hope they will be competitive in features and pricing so folks wanting a great urban/suburban electric bike can enjoy the experience without the higher cost for features they don't really need for their daily or weekly rides. Our Munich meets all our needs but your needs may be different so check around.

Back