Affordable Step Through Bike for City

Leah123

I'm seeking my first electric bike and want advice please. I'm looking for:

- A step through bike that has a comfortable ride
- Good shocks (since NYC has a lot of potholes)
- Cost less than 1500
- Removable battery.
- It doesn't need to be able to go above 20 MPH.

Everytime I find a bike that looks perfect (eg. the NCM Munich bike) it turns out they are out of stock for months (especially since I'm tall so I always need a medium frame). I was also thinking about the Aventon 350 Pace step through but then saw it didn't have shocks and I would like a comfortable ride. I'd prefer not to have the cruiser handle bars. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

My wife rides the Espin Flow and I ride the ride1up 500, they are both excellent bikes, and especially for the price. The one benefit of the Espin Flow is that it has hydraulic brakes, which are like power brakes compared to the mechanical disc brakes on the 500. Lots of reviews on YouTube and on this blog, Happy Hunting.

Leah123,
Congrats on your ebike search.
Are you seeking a bike with both front and rear shocks? Many bikes come with front shocks but no rear shocks. It would be possible to add a suspension seat post to smooth out the ride. The roads in my town/city are really crummy, tons of poor repairs, cracks, frost break ups and pot holes. The Kinect suspension seat post made a huge difference in ride comfort on both my ebikes, which have only front shocks, and kinda crummy ones at that.
Please post which ebike you find.

Leah123,
Congrats on your ebike search.
Are you seeking a bike with both front and rear shocks? Many bikes come with front shocks but no rear shocks. It would be possible to add a suspension seat post to smooth out the ride. The roads in my town/city are really crummy, tons of poor repairs, cracks, frost break ups and pot holes. The Kinect suspension seat post made a huge difference in ride comfort on both my ebikes, which have only front shocks, and kinda crummy ones at that.
Please post which ebike you find.
HI- this is really helpful- does this mean then that I can consider bikes without shocks and get a seat post? Or that if it is just front shocks I'm ok if I get the seat post? I'm down to a few bikes but the potholes in NYC are brutal and it is one of my biggest concerns. Thank you for any further advise...

HI- this is really helpful- does this mean then that I can consider bikes without shocks and get a seat post? Or that if it is just front shocks I'm ok if I get the seat post? I'm down to a few bikes but the potholes in NYC are brutal and it is one of my biggest concerns. Thank you for any further advise...
PS right now I'm leaning towards the ride1up500 but I'm going to give it a few more days to see if I get other suggestions...

These both look really great--I'm going to begin to read the reviews now--but if you know both bikes and have any suggestions on what is better about either of them please let me know....Thank you
Ride1Up traditionally will make you assemble a good part of the bike (
) . The bike comes with all the tools you need for assembly, but if you're not comfortable with assembling that much of the bike yourself, maybe look elsewhere.

Ride1Up traditionally will make you assemble a good part of the bike (
) . The bike comes with all the tools you need for assembly, but if you're not comfortable with assembling that much of the bike yourself, maybe look elsewhere.
HI our local bike shop said they can do it for me since I'm sure I'd hash it up completely. Thank you though.

I'm seeking my first electric bike and want advice please. I'm looking for:

- A step through bike that has a comfortable ride
- Good shocks (since NYC has a lot of potholes)
- Cost less than 1500
- Removable battery.
- It doesn't need to be able to go above 20 MPH.

Everytime I find a bike that looks perfect (eg. the NCM Munich bike) it turns out they are out of stock for months (especially since I'm tall so I always need a medium frame). I was also thinking about the Aventon 350 Pace step through but then saw it didn't have shocks and I would like a comfortable ride. I'd prefer not to have the cruiser handle bars. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Munich is in stock. Just ordered in 10 of them. The frame is one size fits all. Disregard the tire size you are referencing. 26" is just wheel size. Same with 28". 26" can handle folks up to 6'2" pretty easily.

Ps. There is no 27.5".

Did you check out the Espin brand ? Since they dropped their price significantly early this year, the Flow offers a lot of value for your money.

It only comes with one motor inhibitor brake though.
So what ? One or none is perfectly fine. When you pause your pedals the motor stops powering. Inhibitors are over rated. Besides you should always apply both brakes simultaneously. Get a fist full of the wrong one at a high enough speed, or on a turn at lower speed, and you're possibly flying over your handlebars. I've had several customers bring their Ebikes in for repairs after such incidents, each had inhibitors on both brakes but for reasons unknown, they all grabbed just the front brake , and went over the ebike and also damaged it. One Taco'd his front rim. Be careful out there, even with inhibitors. (Unfortunately Inhibitors don't appear to inhibit dumb or carelessness.) ( Sometimes I wonder if people are texting or using their phones while riding or munching on a cheeseburger like we see happen in cars everyday. Application of make up is a big one too, here on Interstate I-88 into Chicago. You know, during RUSH hour in the am. Is there distracted ebiking ??? Gawd forbid. Otherwise Insurers are gonna want you to install an App for that too. Lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
Munich is in stock. Just ordered in 10 of them. The frame is one size fits all. Disregard the tire size you are referencing. 26" is just wheel size. Same with 28". 26" can handle folks up to 6'2" pretty easily.

Ps. There is no 27.5".

Did you check out the Espin brand ? Since they dropped their price significantly early this year, the Flow offers a lot of value for your money.
When I called them they said I would need the 28" for the Munich (I'm only 5'10)--so I'm ok with the Munich? Do you recommend it? It looks perfect for me on line according to all the reviews but I'd be interested in your take.

When I called them they said I would need the 28" for the Munich (I'm only 5'10)--so I'm ok with the Munich? Do you recommend it? It looks perfect for me on line according to all the reviews but I'd be interested in your take.
PS Do you know how the Munich does with bumps and potholes? I need a bike with good support thanks

Ps. There is no 27.5".

HI I'm actually trying to decide between the Flow, the Munich, and the Ride1Up 100 - my main needs are comfort for city riding (with potholes), removable battery, step through, and affordable - I like all three of these bikes (and am glad I can consider the Munich 26 inch) - if you have any insight on how they contrast I'd most appreciate it. Thanks

HI I'm actually trying to decide between the Flow, the Munich, and the Ride1Up 100 - my main needs are comfort for city riding (with potholes), removable battery, step through, and affordable - I like all three of these bikes (and am glad I can consider the Munich 26 inch) - if you have any insight on how they contrast I'd most appreciate it. Thanks
Also the Aventon Pace 350

We have the Ride1up 500 and an Espin Sport. The Sport is the same as the Flow but the Flow is step thru. Bikes are similar. I think the Espin is more comfortable for me, I am 5 foot 8. They have similar components but I like the look of the Espin better, more concealed battery, and I like the hydraulic brakes plus it comes with nice fenders and rear rack which will be useful in the City. (The Espin Flow is more like the Ride1up 700 step thru in terms of specs.) Definitely get a bike with a suspension front fork. Adding a suspension seat post is cheap and easy. We had some quality control issues with our Ride1up 500 with the chain falling off sometimes on bumps. My son still likes it. Other owners have had controller issues. Check the Ride1up forum page, but their customer service seems responsive. The packaging on my Espin was great, double boxed, and simple assembly was easier than my Ride1up. Espin has excellent customer service. Both bikes have a 1 year warrenty. Espin has a new model, the Nero, but it is a fat tire bike and may not be what you want for commuting. I would say order now you will have to wait 4-6 weeks for a bike probably.

We have the Ride1up 500 and an Espin Sport. The Sport is the same as the Flow but the Flow is step thru. Bikes are similar. I think the Espin is more comfortable for me, I am 5 foot 8. They have similar components but I like the look of the Espin better, more concealed battery, and I like the hydraulic brakes plus it comes with nice fenders and rear rack which will be useful in the City. (The Espin Flow is more like the Ride1up 700 step thru in terms of specs.) Definitely get a bike with a suspension front fork. Adding a suspension seat post is cheap and easy. We had some quality control issues with our Ride1up 500 with the chain falling off sometimes on bumps. My son still likes it. Other owners have had controller issues. Check the Ride1up forum page, but their customer service seems responsive. The packaging on my Espin was great, double boxed, and simple assembly was easier than my Ride1up. Espin has excellent customer service. Both bikes have a 1 year warrenty. Espin has a new model, the Nero, but it is a fat tire bike and may not be what you want for commuting. I would say order now you will have to wait 4-6 weeks for a bike probably.
Hi Thanks so much for this--now due to what you wrote I'm definitely leaning towards the Espin Flow (and it is beautiful). I just have a final few questions: 1. I'm terrible constructing things, but on line the Espin Flow company says its very easy and takes 15 minutes. The alternative is to have it delivered to a bike shop and pay them to put it together, but I don't think I need to do that if it is really easy - how did you find it? Do you think it is doable for someone bad at this stuff?
2. For city riding (with lots of potholes) I wasn't clear from what you wrote if the Flow comes with a suspension front fork? 3. Have you found any issues taking out and putting back the battery to charge it (I read some negative reviews about that). Thank you so much for your help--it makes such a difference since I can't test ride it!

Yes the Espin flow comes with a nice adjustable suspension fork. The bike was easy to put together. There is a video on line. 90 percent already constructed They also send you a nice set of portable bike tools. You have to install front tire, which is easy with quick release, you install handlebars with a clamp, also easy,all the wires, grips, display are pre-installed. You screw in pedals which are marked R for right, L for left. You install seat post, also easy as it is quick release. The seat/saddle is already attached to the post. The height of seat post is adjustible. I think we might have plugged in some color coded wires. We attached front fender and front light. You can do it. Remember to check over all bolts to make sure they are tight as well as making sure spokes are not loose. Suggest you get a spoke wrench to keep spokes tight. Spoke wrenches are cheap. I used a pedal wrench to make sure my pedals were tight. Check derailler to make sure it is not bent. I took the derailler guard on mine off, some people leave theirs on. If on make sure it is not interferring with derailler as sometimes it is bent in shipping. If so, just pull the guard out with your hand. Mine was fine. I had a moble bike mechanic check over my bike to make sure it was shifting well and everything was properly tuned. Pump tires to desired psi. I have had no problems with my battery. I usually charge it on my bike. If you wish you can e mail them or call them about the bike. They are nice to deal with and usually answer e mail within 24 hours. I e-mailed them with questions about accessories including water botyle holder and they were very helpful. I called on a weekend with questions before I bought my bike and Josh, one of the owners, answered. I almost forgot to tell you if you order with a discount code you can get $50.00 off. I will look up code and post it.

Last edited:
Back