Advice with eBike motor fouling caliper housing

Andy H

Region
Europe
I'm in the process of fitting an ebike front drive kit and have found that the front disk caliper housing is stopping the new wheel dropping far enough in to the forks as it comes in to contact with the motor housing. I can only think that increasing the size of the rotor from the current 160mm to a 180mm rotor (or larger?), along with a disk brake adapter, would push the caliper housing further away from the motor? Or do members have other suggestions that might work?

An am I correct in thinking that this is an IS mount rather than a post mount?

Attachments

• 20220414_122018.jpg
    20220414_122018.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 162
IS mount? post mount? Since the local bike shop won't carry anything my size that's not pink, I don't go there to learn the latest terminology from the giants they hire as salemen. I'm compact efficiency sized.
Wow, you're *****ed. The caliper bracket is welded onto the fork. My caliper interfered with the disk on one motor (mac), but the caliper was bolt on. I was able to remove it, file the mating flange down .030" and reinstall it. Use a nicholson file, harbor freight files are toys. When I went on to a Bafang motor, I added washers under the caliper.
You might be able to take a round file and make slots of the bolt holes on the fork. You'll need washers under the mount bolt heads to keep them from sliding into the slots. My mount bolts were normal to the brake disk, not parallel.
If that fork is steel, you might be able to insert washers on the axle and pry the forks apart with a fork to gain some room. If the strut is aluminum, don't try it. Cast aluminum fractures if it is bent. Another option is a different fork from some other bike with disk brakes. Chase the guys with pickup trucks of appliances on the evening before garbage day, or get there before him & pull the bike off the curb.

Last edited:
So the motor is so wide, it hits the caliper? I would try the same. I guess that is an IS adapter under the caliper. A 180mm version is just longer.
M4160428.JPG

Last edited:
Back