advice please on ebike conversion

pushandpedal

Region
United Kingdom
Hi, I am new to ebikes and would welcome any advice on the following. I am soon planning on doing the following conversion to my Merida BIG SEVEN
is anyone able to offer opinion on this conversion

Bafang BBS02B 48V 750W E-bike Mid Motor 68-73 mm conversion kit
1: Is Bafang BBS02B 48V 750W a reliable motor unit or any issues ?
2: What is a good display to work with the BBS02B ?
3 :Is the 17.5 Amp battery a good choice or does 20 Amp offer a lot more in range, or power ?
Thanks John

Welcome to EBR John
I have a 36v BBS01, recently changed to a ‘b’ model motor after 6 years riding in all weathers, so my experience has been Bafang mid-drives are reliable provided you are willing to pedal. Depending on your preference you might like the convenience of programming via Bluetooth/phone app offered by the EggRider display. 20a battery would provide longer range, but power would be determined by the BMS, it would also weigh heavier if that might be an issue

Welcome to EBR John
I have a 36v BBS01, recently changed to a ‘b’ model motor after 6 years riding in all weathers, so my experience has been Bafang mid-drives are reliable provided you are willing to pedal. Depending on your preference you might like the convenience of programming via Bluetooth/phone app offered by the EggRider display. 20a battery would provide longer range, but power would be determined by the BMS, it would also weigh heavier if that might be an issue

Thanks for your reply and your warm welcome, the kit I am considering is sold as a package on eBay UK so choice is limited with the screen the following models are offered in the deal . 500c,850c,p850c,p860c,c961,750c,dm03 I have no real idea which of these to pick but the displays on the p850c.or p860c seem ok

850c has a usb charging port which might appeal. 500c is compact as there is no separate button pad so better if you want less cluttered handlebars

I've owned a BBS02B driven very mildly since 2016. I've come nowhere near stripping gears or overheating motor. and it's been fine. I have a C-965 display, and am too cheap to spend any more money for upgrades, but it is certainly primitive. Doesn't show battery voltage, and I have to switch thru menu to see the current wattage.
A higher AH battery has the advantage of higher peak current should you have a motor that wants it. My BBS02 draws a measured 26A at peak, so a 17.5AH pack capable of 30A would suffice. 20AH means they pack in 13 more cells. for a bigger, heavier pack. If you need the range, then you want it.
With DIY, I would rather ride around locally with a small battery on my bikes. I can switch packs or carry spares if I had a long long ride.

I've owned a BBS02B driven very mildly since 2016. I've come nowhere near stripping gears or overheating motor. and it's been fine. I have a C-965 display, and am too cheap to spend any more money for upgrades, but it is certainly primitive. Doesn't show battery voltage, and I have to switch thru menu to see the current wattage.
A higher AH battery has the advantage of higher peak current should you have a motor that wants it. My BBS02 draws a measured 26A at peak, so a 17.5AH pack capable of 30A would suffice. 20AH means they pack in 13 more cells. for a bigger, heavier pack. If you need the range, then you want it.
With DIY, I would rather ride around locally with a small battery on my bikes. I can switch packs or carry spares if I had a long long ride.
Thanks for your advice and comments, I am looking at the 750 watt motor option and prefer the lighter 17.5amp battery if this is able suitable for the 750 watt motor

Back