advice needed for e-bike with throttle, low-step thru, battery on down-tube

Keuka Girl

Hi all,

I'm a 60 year old, 5'2" woman. I have a Pedego City Commuter ebike, and because the battery is on the back-behind the seat-I feel like I'm fighting to keep the front of the bike steady.
I tried riding a Trek bike with the battery on the "down-tube" and I felt so much safer and in better control! The down-side is it DIDN'T HAVE A THROTTLE.
Now I'm looking at bikes like the EVO Street Pro, the Surface 604 Rook....

Any thoughts /suggestions? I like having the throttle so I can get quickly across intersections and keep up with my husband...
Thanks so much!

the evo street throttle doesnt work to override, you have to move the pas setting to 0
just in case you did not know that

it is my biggest gripe on easy motion bikes..

You might want to look at the bike I just purchased. EProdigy Magic. Its a step thru with thumb throttle and battery on downtube. The only thing I didnt like, is that the seat is too high for me and I am 5'5 but I replaced with a women's made seat and shorter seatstem. I did upgrade to a better battery, added fenders and LCD display. All together, around 2300. Its a very smooth shifting bike, good power and good range. https://www.eprodigybikes.com/products/1

1534052784179.png

Hi all,

Any thoughts /suggestions? I like having the throttle so I can get quickly across intersections and keep up with my husband...
Thanks so much!

I have the VoltBike Elegant. It's very similar to the Rook, but with some lower end parts, thus making it cheaper.

I'm taller (6'1"), but I did show it to someone that was around your height and they were happy with it.
(FYI - The seat was in it's absolute lowest position for them)
I'd imagine the Rook would be teh same.

Hope that helps

Hi all,

I'm a 60 year old, 5'2" woman. I have a Pedego City Commuter ebike, and because the battery is on the back-behind the seat-I feel like I'm fighting to keep the front of the bike steady.
I tried riding a Trek bike with the battery on the "down-tube" and I felt so much safer and in better control! The down-side is it DIDN'T HAVE A THROTTLE.

Thanks so much!
Hi Keuka Girl, I am a 72 yr old male with a beat up body. We are heading up to Keuka Lake Sept 1st!
Anyway I bought a Trek Verve+ step through in May and love it. I thought about an Evelo with a throttle but opted to buy local. As for a peddle e assist - no regrets! Very stable and crossing busy streets is no problem as long as you pay a little attention? and I have a healthy wife 8 yrs my junior and I keep up with out a problem. I would be glad to answer any specific questions if you have any.

Hi all,

I too started with the Pedego CC and found the rear of the bike had a mind of its own sometimes. The bike is a good 60lbs aside from that! Middrive motors tend not to have throttles, so you may want a rear hub drive but with the battery placement in or on the middle tube. Check out some of the Magnum bikes. According to them, the Ui6 upgrade will be back in stock in a few weeks. Or Izip bikes to which a throttle can be added.

I think your bike might be too big for you. You might do better on a smaller bike--24"? It is hard to keep steady if the distance between seat and handlebars is too far for one's height. If you haven't had the bike long, you might be able to exchange it for a smaller size. Our Pedego dealer did an exchange for us.

I think your bike might be too big for you. You might do better on a smaller bike--24"? It is hard to keep steady if the distance between seat and handlebars is too far for one's height. If you haven't had the bike long, you might be able to exchange it for a smaller size. Our Pedego dealer did an exchange for us.
I too started with the Pedego CC and found the rear of the bike had a mind of its own sometimes. The bike is a good 60lbs aside from that! Middrive motors tend not to have throttles, so you may want a rear hub drive but with the battery placement in or on the middle tube. Check out some of the Magnum bikes. According to them, the Ui6 upgrade will be back in stock in a few weeks. Or Izip bikes to which a throttle can be added.[/QUOTE

I will repost my original reply.
I am a 72-year-old male who has undergone 2 brain surgeries and a battle with septic shock frozen shoulders. I would do the Trek Verve + Step thru.
It is very balanced and I have found no need for a throttle , which limit you to using certain the trails in the future. I now have 300 and miles on the bike and still love it. It is predictable and I can't keep up with all of my friends as well as easily cross the busy street from complete stops. . It is very well Balanced View Rd., West week for a luggage sister for which I will use even more. We'd leave a week from tomorrow. Good luck

Back