advice : $2k budget for a torque sensor upright relaxed 2-3 inch tires

ADKdadro4

Looking to decide on my first e-bike. I am thankful for any and all feedback!

First some background :
  • I am handy and do most of my own bike and automobile maintenance.
  • I do not have any local bike shop without driving almost 2 hours...
  • I am over 6 ft tall and 225lbs with a history of serious knee problems and I live in an area with lots of hills
  • I would prefer to test drive some bikes but I live in a very rural area without that option :(
  • mostly paved or hard-packed recreational biking with some uneven ground
I have done a decent amount of research and below are what I think my preferences are:
  1. Torque sensor! - I definitely think I would prefer a bike that puts out more immediate/responsive assistance than most cadence magnet sensors do and I also like the idea that the assistance will be proportional to my pedal force.
  2. Upright/ relaxed stance for sure. I have a long torso with shorter arms and forward/sporty position is not comfortable for me. So something relaxed or tweak-able to make it more upright by swapping out the stem... I do not mind making some tweaks...
  3. 2" - 3" wide tires are the sweetspot for what I am looking for.
Ideally I would spend $1700 or less but I could stretch it to $2k reluctantly... I know that doesn't allow for many choices...

I am fine with mechanical disc so need for hydraulic... I don't have any big needs when it comes to suspension either-- I lock them out lots of times anyway.

I kinda like the idea of a torque sensor and also throttle so I have looked at the Surface604 and also Juiced bikes so far. The surface604 line looks to have jumped in price this year unfortunately :(

I would LOVE your ideas and feedback.
Any other torque sensor hub motor bikes I should look at? or feedback from people with direct experience with Surface604 and Juiced?

I haven't looked at mid-drives before, but now that those prices are coming down should I look more and try to stretch my budget or get lucky with a special? would I miss the throttle option? Those seem to be lower wattage, but maybe that isn't comparable since the gearing is different?

You probably will prefer torque sensor, but cadence sensing isn't necessarily a bad thing for someone with bad knees, depends on whether your knees prefer to pedal faster or harder.

I would still opt for hydraulic brakes with large rotors, just for the additional stopping power on a 60+ pound bike.

I hear ya on relaxed stance, although you can tweak somewhat with risers and handlebars.

Lots of hills? You may want to opt for larger battery (and consider a mid drive). Surface604 makes nice bikes but their default batteries tend to be lower capacity.

I would say your absolute best choice would be a Frey HT1000 under $2K, but doubt you want to wait 6-7 months for free shipping. Even with faster shipping ($500-750) it would take ~2 months. The HT1000 is a mid drive so you can tackle hills with ease. Decent battery capacity. Hydraulic brakes. Multiple frame sizes. The Bafang Ultra motor is also very powerful (1000W nominal) with throttle.

I read a bunch more about mid drive bikes last night and perhaps I have not given then enough time in my research, probably out of my budget though...

I should add that going very fast is not necessarily important to me. I don't even enjoy going over 20 to be honest. 15 -18 mph cruising is totally fine for me -- its really just extra help getting up hills that I need most.

I also found Rize e-bikes that have some affordable torsion sensor options-- but they seem very new and therefore little track record on quality control yet.

Looking to decide on my first e-bike. I am thankful for any and all feedback!

First some background :
  • I am handy and do most of my own bike and automobile maintenance.
  • I do not have any local bike shop without driving almost 2 hours...
  • I am over 6 ft tall and 225lbs with a history of serious knee problems and I live in an area with lots of hills
  • I would prefer to test drive some bikes but I live in a very rural area without that option :(
  • mostly paved or hard-packed recreational biking with some uneven ground
I have done a decent amount of research and below are what I think my preferences are:
  1. Torque sensor! - I definitely think I would prefer a bike that puts out more immediate/responsive assistance than most cadence magnet sensors do and I also like the idea that the assistance will be proportional to my pedal force.
  2. Upright/ relaxed stance for sure. I have a long torso with shorter arms and forward/sporty position is not comfortable for me. So something relaxed or tweak-able to make it more upright by swapping out the stem... I do not mind making some tweaks...
  3. 2" - 3" wide tires are the sweetspot for what I am looking for.
Ideally I would spend $1700 or less but I could stretch it to $2k reluctantly... I know that doesn't allow for many choices...

I am fine with mechanical disc so need for hydraulic... I don't have any big needs when it comes to suspension either-- I lock them out lots of times anyway.

I kinda like the idea of a torque sensor and also throttle so I have looked at the Surface604 and also Juiced bikes so far. The surface604 line looks to have jumped in price this year unfortunately :(

I would LOVE your ideas and feedback.
Any other torque sensor hub motor bikes I should look at? or feedback from people with direct experience with Surface604 and Juiced?

I haven't looked at mid-drives before, but now that those prices are coming down should I look more and try to stretch my budget or get lucky with a special? would I miss the throttle option? Those seem to be lower wattage, but maybe that isn't comparable since the gearing is different?
I own an Electra Townie Commuter Go 8i. Torque Sensor, Bosch Performance Mid Drive Motor, Upright Riding Position, 63nm of Torque and Hydraulic Brakes. Can handle the weight and with the 2” wide tires nice ride. Retail 3k.
I rode a bike the other day, from Blix. Model Aveny. Looking for my wife. $1599 free shipping no tax. It was a Class 2 Bike. Pedal assist with a throttle. The ride was very smooth, well equipped and I liked it better than my current ride. Higher torque motor 500 watts peak 750 watts 70nm, bigger battery 48vx14amp hours 672 watts. You don’t need a torque sensor when you have a throttle to accelerate from a stand still. At level 5 assistance in gear 4, you have decent acceleration from a stop with pedal assist. It has Mechanical disk brakes. Plenty of stopping power and easier to adjust. Simpler sometimes is better. This is a well thought out bike with lots of extras included. They may still offer a diamond frame and I know they offer low step version. I liked the adjustable stem that fine tunes the fit. The only negative things I found, it doesn’t have a front shock. If you are not riding on cobblestones you should be fine. Although the company offers a supposed 30 day trial, be aware, if you return it, the company has a 25% restocking fee. ($400) plus $150 shipping fee. You might be able to find, someone in your area, through the company or on the forum that owns one in your area, that you can ride the bike before you purchase it. Wishing you good luck. Bob

I am handy and do most of my own bike and automobile maintenance.

I don't have any big needs when it comes to suspension either-- I lock them out lots of times anyway.
Have you considered a kit? It sounds like you have the skills and possibly a a bike already.

no I have not- any suggestions for a kit with torque sensor? I have a couple mountain bikes I could tinker on...

Here is one of the lightest and most well built torque sensing kits :

Hope this helps

Here is one of the lightest and most well built torque sensing kits :

Hope this helps
Thanks -- looks slick- but says it is sold out- and also by adding up the costs I might be better off buying an entire bike - especially since my starting point bikes are on the older side anyway...

Check out the biktrix Swift, 1000 Watts, upright, torque or cadence, rear hub, about $1,800. New model so no reviews, but company has a good reputation.

Check out the biktrix Swift, 1000 Watts, upright, torque or cadence, rear hub, about $1,800. New model so no reviews, but company has a good reputation.
thanks- I am looking now :) also noticed their juggernaut classic can be shipped with narrower 3inch tires too :)

Another kit but not available yet:

yes the juiced bikes along with surface 604 are on my short list so far. Do you have that bike?

No I don't own a Juiced. I think it is a great bike with few more extras than my Ride 1 Up 700XR I just ordered. But the price of the Juiced was a bit above my target and I would have to add fenders and rack costing even more.

Here's a Surface 604 that showed up on Lenny's. Might want to give them a call and see what model year and size but has torque sensing for not much money.

Edit: looks like 2018 model with 160mm rotors and 500wh battery. I wold probably pass on this.

Last edited:
I read a bunch more about mid drive bikes last night and perhaps I have not given then enough time in my research, probably out of my budget though...

I should add that going very fast is not necessarily important to me. I don't even enjoy going over 20 to be honest. 15 -18 mph cruising is totally fine for me -- its really just extra help getting up hills that I need most.

I also found Rize e-bikes that have some affordable torsion sensor options-- but they seem very new and therefore little track record on quality control yet.

There are some excellent deals at BD for high torque mid-drive bikes with hydraulic brakes and front suspension for $1,700.

1587184035434.png

Also Hub-drive Crusier and Fat-tire bikes from $1,000 - $1,600.

1587184340791.png

Last edited:
Looks like 750W rear hub from BD is $1599. Torque sensor? Battery is relatively small (48V / 11 Ah) for a hub drive. 160mm rotors.

Back