advice : $2k budget for a torque sensor upright relaxed 2-3 inch tires

418wh battery. 40Nm max torque (E5000 motor). For someone with bad knees I think $1699 could be put to better use. ;)

There are some excellent deals at BD for high torque mid-drive bikes with hydraulic brakes and front suspension for $1,700.

View attachment 50123

Also Hub-drive Crusier and Fat-tire bikes from $1,000 - $1,600.

View attachment 50124
Looking at that site gives me a headache...😵

Your mention of sore/bad knees would have me thinking a throttle might help get me home some days....when/it it becomes uncomfortable to peddle.

thanks @FlatSix911 for the heads up :)

this one( link below) does look like a decent fit and checks lots of the boxes for me.
shimano mid-drive Motobecane elite eadventure

I would have to swap out the tires for wider ones though. Maybe swap the handelbar stem for something more upright too. Neither of these are huge deals. The battery size (418 wh) is a little smaller than I was hoping for given how hilly it is where I live (ADK mountains) but this is still a strong contender for an affordable price :) . I have read more about that Shimano e5000 I have seen on this and other budget mid motor bikes- looks like 40NM of torque from that which might be a tad less than I was hoping for for all the hills around me. but I am probably nitpicking. here its not like I have a $3000 eMTB budget ;-) .. Many thanks for the help!

I am still looking at others too though like the Biktrix Swift, Surface604 colt/shred, and Juiced Crosscurrent. I have started looking at more mid-motor bikes recently -- but the cost is a bit of an issue.. something like the Specialized Turbo Como might be out of my range

Last edited:
Your mention of sore/bad knees would have me thinking a throttle might help get me home some days....when/it it becomes uncomfortable to peddle.
yes, that has been my thinking also, but admittedly I simply do not have enough experience riding ebikes to know for sure.

yes, that has been my thinking also, but admittedly I simply do not have enough experience riding ebikes to know for sure.

Thinking many, if not most, that ARE experienced, will agree a throttle may save you from a really uncomfortable ride home some day. You don't have to use it because it's there, but you cannot use it if it's not there. I think the throttle should be a requirement.

Bonus is you may find you like it. I wouldn't be without one myself.

thanks @FlatSix911 for the heads up :)
this one( link below) does look like a decent fit and checks lots of the boxes for me. shimano mid-drive Motobecane elite eadventure
I would have to swap out the tires for wider ones though. Maybe swap the handlebar stem for something more upright too. Neither of these are huge deals. The battery size (418 wh) is a little smaller than I was hoping for given how hilly it is where I live (ADK mountains) but this is still a strong contender for an affordable price :) . I have read more about that Shimano e5000 I have seen on this and other budget mid motor bikes- looks like 40NM of torque from that which might be a tad less than I was hoping for for all the hills around me. but I am probably nitpicking. here its not like I have a $3000 eMTB budget ;-) .. Many thanks for the help!

I am still looking at others too though like the Biktrix Swift, Surface604 colt/shred, and Juiced Crosscurrent. I have started looking at more mid-motor bikes recently -- but the cost is a bit of an issue.. something like the Specialized Turbo Como might be out of my range

If you live in the mountains and do a lot of climbing, the mid-drive motor is the way to go. Almost all mountain bikes have a mid-drive system and are able to use the mechanical advantage of the rear derailleur. The Shimano E5000 is an excellent system and the 40Nm of torque will be multiplied by the gear ratios to climb efficiently.

This is the lowest price I have seen for a brand name mid-drive with high-quality components. I have 2 Shimano drive bikes and they were 2x the price... let me know if you have additional questions. Take a look at this article on the pros and cons of different motor types. Good luck with your search!

Back